Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Run in 2XU Compression Sleeves
Quote | Reply
2XU Compression Calf Sleeve Review

10 mile moderate run (150bpm) on a 68deg. Sunny day

I’ve been using compression calf sleeves for recovery with good results (no more shinsplints), so on today’s run I finally decided to train with them to see if they would make sense for the upcoming Wildflower 70.3. I can use the calf sleeves under a wetsuit, so no added transition time.

Mile 0 – The 2XUs are black with a silver “X” design on the back and are not ribbed. To me it looks more like performance gear than geriatric hose or tube socks. Hopefully this reduces the geek factor.

Mile 2 – These definitely hold in a bit of heat. Not unbearable like running in tube socks, but not as comfortable as I’d like. It’s going to be 15 degrees hotter at WF. Other than that, no noticeable difference. I’m wondering if these are a good idea.

Mile 3 – As groups of bikers pass by, I notice that their conversations abruptly stop about 10m before they pass me. Pretty sure they have a comment about the tri-geek in the compression socks, but want to get by first.

Mile 4 – I didn’t notice anything on the mild grades, but as I hit the steeper hills it feels like my calves are spring loaded. Sweet! This is not a subtle change, and it’s definitely easier to go up the grades. I’m feeling a lot better about these.

Mile 5 – As I turn into the headwind, I’m getting some nice cooling effect from my UA shirt, nada from the calf sleeves. Hey Emilio, how ‘bout some SkinCooler compression calf sleeves?

Mile 6 – More hills, and the “spring” is still there.

Mile 8 – The tailwind stretch home; my calves feel slightly fresher than usual, but irritatingly warm.

Mile 10 – Finished within 20sec. of my time last week on a day that was a few degrees warmer. Performance-wise I’d say it’s a wash. The sleeves didn’t sag or creep up, and didn’t feel binding. Very little sweat retention (they are quite thin and skintight, so not a lot of space to hold any water).

Overall: Love the springiness on hills. Hate the heat retention. On a cool day (ex. Fall marathon, early season Du) or a hilly course, these are a slam dunk. On a “supermodel” course (hot and flat) forget it. As WF is hot and hilly, I’m a bit torn. Three more weeks to make up my mind.

Next week I'm thinking of trying those new full-body, pneumatically adjustable compression suits:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply