Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zinn says weight trumps aero.........
Quote | Reply
......this may have been posted, but in the spirit of yesterdays thread, you don't need to read this if you've already read the other (here)

http://www.velonews.com/...d-zinn-weight-v-wind

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Last edited by: ShoMyOFace: Feb 27, 09 4:31
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he also implied that it does not apply to triathlons unless you are a drafter. Are you are a drafter?
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo's Gérard Vroomen's wrote an excellent and informative commentary on this. While I respect Leonard Zinn, I believe that he should stick to commentary on repairing bicycles. Here is the thread with Gerhard's two posts that are well worth reading if one interested in aero design technology. His two posts are about 2/3's of the way down the thread. http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/3192.aspx

09 Cervelo P3
09 Pinarello Prince
10 Stevens Carbon Team
Last edited by: pharding: Feb 27, 09 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, if you scroll down on that same page, there is more Slowtwitch blasphemy:

Quote:
While there are exceptions, higher tire pressure as a rule results in lower rolling resistance.

If the tire pressure is lower, the rolling resistance will increase, regardless of tire width.

Cue the ST tire police in 3..... 2...... 1.......
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Whoa, if you scroll down on that same page, there is more Slowtwitch blasphemy:

Quote:
While there are exceptions, higher tire pressure as a rule results in lower rolling resistance.

If the tire pressure is lower, the rolling resistance will increase, regardless of tire width.

Cue the ST tire police in 3..... 2...... 1.......
Who posted that?

09 Cervelo P3
09 Pinarello Prince
10 Stevens Carbon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [pharding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Lew, founder of Lew Racing.

On the same page:

Scroll down to the "High Pressure and Carbon Rims" question.
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [pharding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cervelo's Gérard Vroomen's wrote an excellent and informative commentary on this. While I respect Leonard Zinn, I believe that he should stick to commentary on repairing bicycles. Here is the thread with Gerhard's two posts that are well worth reading if one interested in aero design technology. His two posts are about 2/3's of the way down the thread. http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/3192.aspx
I don't surpose that Vroomen's "informative commentary" has anything to do with marketing...............hmmmm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hey...just because you have articles published in cycling/tri publications, or you make cycling parts, it doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're talking about ;-)

...unless, of course, you have data to back you up :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I don't surpose that Vroomen's "informative commentary" has anything to do with marketing...............hmmmm.
sure it does--but did he say anything that was materially incorrect? not that I could see...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zinn didn't do any math on the hill climbing claim, he just states it, and the math says he is wrong.

and he is completely wrong about the aero frames only working in a narrow band of yaw angles.

In Reply To:
......this may have been posted, but in the spirit of yesterdays thread, you don't need to read this if you've already read the other (here)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes.

1. he said aero frames are a hindrance in crosswinds. when in fact the good frames drag actually go down at medium yaw angles and are still far lower than normal frames at high yaw angles. this is confirmed by some of Tom A's independent testing and anyone else who ever put a decent aero bike in a wind tunnel

2. he said the aerodynamics is useless going uphill. here math disagrees, this one is debateable because perhaps the math oversimplifies the problem

3. he said in a pack the aerodynamics is useless. I would disagree, you would still be working a bit less hard. again, debateable since its hard to test this.

In Reply To:
sure it does--but did he say anything that was materially incorrect? not that I could see...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I would think it has more to do with his Engineering degree, years of experience building/designing bikes and many hours in the wind tunnels than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost posted a link to that article yesterday, but I didn't wan't to seem like Jordan piling on Friel... Seriously, how does one guy get it wrong so often?

What I really don't understand, both from Zinn and from the responders on the Cervelo forum, are the comments that aerodynamics don't matter in the pack. Have any of these people ever actually raced a bicycle before, seriously?? Sitting in the pack, the main force you have to overcome is, guess what: wind resistance. Sitting in a pack certainly reduces wind resistance, but it doesn't eliminate it. Flat, windy races break apart in the crosswind sections--yes, even in the pack...

What a lot of people just don't seem to understand is that even in hilly races, every single watt saved adds up when it finally hits the fan. Frame aerodynamics is several orders of magnitude less important than pack positioning and the rider's position on the bike--but it's still a small component (as Gerard said himself, a 1.5% improvement or something like that). Still, every bit adds up--unless you have watts to burn...
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yes.

1. he said aero frames are a hindrance in crosswinds. when in fact the good frames drag actually go down at medium yaw angles and are still far lower than normal frames at high yaw angles. this is confirmed by some of Tom A's independent testing and anyone else who ever put a decent aero bike in a wind tunnel

2. he said the aerodynamics is useless going uphill. here math disagrees, this one is debateable because perhaps the math oversimplifies the problem

3. he said in a pack the aerodynamics is useless. I would disagree, you would still be working a bit less hard. again, debateable since its hard to test this.

In Reply To:
I was talking about Gerard--not Zinn.... Pretty much everything Zinn said was incorrect...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Needs to be factored in that Zinn may be Biased by the fact that he is about seven feet tall. A lifetime of racing bikes and never feeling a draft would change ones outlook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops, sorry =)

In Reply To:
I was talking about Gerard--not Zinn.... Pretty much everything Zinn said was incorrect...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey, Zinn's an expert. Who are you to diss him? Haven't you been paying attention around here?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [Just Old] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, I know--he's written a book and everything! What the hell have I done besides some bitter internet posts?

I guess I've never really let go of this one. I'm still waiting for Contador to bust out that 38 mph TT..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know, I know--he's written a book and everything! What the hell have I done besides some bitter internet posts?

I guess I've never really let go of this one. I'm still waiting for Contador to bust out that 38 mph TT..........

He wrote a book? Did it have the word "Bible" in the title or something?

500W for an hour. Maybe for small values of 500...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... Frame aerodynamics is several orders of magnitude less important than pack positioning and the rider's position on the bike--but it's still a small component (as Gerard said himself, a 1.5% improvement or something like that). Still, every bit adds up--unless you have watts to burn...

I've got one interesting observation from when I was trying out my double Jet90 setup in some group ride situations with crosswinds prior to using them in a road race. I found that running the deep wheels makes it REALLY easy to find the drafting "sweet spot" behind another rider when winds are coming from the side...the deeper wheels actually make it easier to feel the differences ;-)

Yeah...I know that's about wheels...but, what's good for the wheels is good for the frame, I say :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Do you apply the same skepticism to Mr. Zinn when he writes about crank lengths? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
... Frame aerodynamics is several orders of magnitude less important than pack positioning and the rider's position on the bike--but it's still a small component (as Gerard said himself, a 1.5% improvement or something like that). Still, every bit adds up--unless you have watts to burn...

I've got one interesting observation from when I was trying out my double Jet90 setup in some group ride situations with crosswinds prior to using them in a road race. I found that running the deep wheels makes it REALLY easy to find the drafting "sweet spot" behind another rider when winds are coming from the side...the deeper wheels actually make it easier to feel the differences ;-)

Yeah...I know that's about wheels...but, what's good for the wheels is good for the frame, I say :-)

funny, I notice the exact same thing - especially when I have my Jet 90 on front. You can really tell where to get in an echelon then. Interesting ...

Re: Zinn says weight trumps aero......... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when did gravity change that makes aero more important then weight going 12mph uphill?, It does not take math to figure out less weight is more of a factor than earo at these speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What a lot of people just don't seem to understand is that even in hilly races, every single watt saved adds up when it finally hits the fan. Frame aerodynamics is several orders of magnitude less important than pack positioning and the rider's position on the bike--but it's still a small component (as Gerard said himself, a 1.5% improvement or something like that). Still, every bit adds up--unless you have watts to burn...
Sounds like weight and ceramic bearings are important, which is totally contradictory to every ST post - not just on hills.......

Quote Reply

Prev Next