Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

U.S. Half Race Report
Quote | Reply
The inaugural U.S. Half Ironman Championship held in K.C. this weekend was top to bottom the best race I have ever attended.

First of all the organization was fantastic. Mark Livesay, the race director is a maestro among race directors. I have never attended an inaugural event that went so smoothly. Every aspect of the course seemed to have been thought through with meticulous attention to detail and first hand knowledge of what racers look for and appreciate in a race.

Mark exhibited great leadership in that his attitude and excitement for the event were mirrored in every one of the volunteers. I have never seen such a friendly, helpful group.

In my mind what truly separates Ultramax races, and this race in particular is philosophy. Mark is a revolutionary figure in the world of triathlon; struggling to return the power to the silent majority of age-group triathletes.

Every last division winner was awarded a $300 gift certificate from Trisports.com with overall winners receiving $1000 certificates. Fastest split winners, male and female, were also awarded free race entry into next years race. On top of this were great prize drawings for a compu-trainer, wetsuits, and the new “Revolution Hydration System” (I was so impressed with this I bought one with my gift certificate!).

The weather for the event was beautiful; clear sunny skies, a hardly noticeable breeze and temperatures ranging from the mid-fifties in the morning to low 80’s by the afternoon. The course was near perfect. The swim seemed to be perfectly measured. It was a triangular swim in a beautiful lake with plenty of big orange buoys to keep swimmers on course. The transition areas were well organized. It was a short jaunt of about 150 yards from swim exit to T1. One minor complaint on T1 is the bike mount line was at a slight incline that led to more than a few people doing the old “T1 Topple”.

The bike course was one of those rolling courses that is never flat but without any major ascents. It was an out-and-back and made for a fun, fast course. Here the only complaint, albeit one beyond the RD’s domain, was a section of new asphalt that was a little rough and loose. There were however, no major potholes, rumble strips, or railroad tracks anywhere on the course. The aid stations were never more than 8 or so miles apart. There were plenty of gels, water, and Gatorade in addition to volunteers that made their best efforts to get riders what they needed.

The run course was also hilly and mostly on a paved surface. About 2 of the 13.1 miles were on a single stretch of unpaved gravel/dirt road. This was a two loop out-and-back course with the only flat section being a half-mile or so across a dam. There was 1 large hill on the course at the turnaround; a half-mile or so at about 5% that had to be covered twice in the two-loop format.

The finish line volunteers were friendly and enthusiastic; eager to pamper weary competitors with refreshments, nice full-size Ultramax towels, and a large finishers’ medallion. The recovery tents were a godsend. There’s nothing worse than finishing a long race in the sun and not having a place to sit in the shade and recover.

Afterwards there was a nice awards ceremony and a live band that played into the night that created a pleasant atmosphere for all involved. From what I saw the expo and seminars were very good and also worthy of mention.

I’m eager to participate in this event in the future as the number of entrants will no doubt multiply like field mice.

Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [YabYum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can I find some results?

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Last edited by: Klep: Sep 26, 04 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the race page:

http://www.ushalfchampionship.com/

And HFP did the timing so they may have results there too.

I'm guessing results will be up later today or tomorrow. The Ultramax (iron-distance) awards ceremony was held today so they will probably have both sets of results up soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there. Concur on ALL counts!! Especially impressive in layout and organization for a first-time venue AND event. I really really hope that the buzz from the inaugural will boost the participation for 2005...as this was the only tiny downer for me: a rather smaller than planned turnout.

I claim some small bit of responsibility for bringing the mens winner to the race...I mentioned this event to him early in the spring and he decided it would make a great addition to his road trip from VA to Shreveport for Nats and back again. DOH! At least I made good on my goal of finishing within 10% of his time. Well done Steve!!

Gang, you want to qualify for this one, and you want to go. You really really do. General entry folks notwithstanding (though a few of them put up times worthy of being in the championship hunt), it's a really different feeling to be out there where everyone is fast. I think I now have a glimpse into the world of IM-H and Boston and I LIKE IT. It becomes a whole different race if you're the competitive sort. The ability gaps by discipline and overall are just so small! Really cool stuff.

Side note: penalty report notwothstanding, this was one of the cleanest races I've ever seen on the bike. I was in the first wave for the Half, and hung around the top 15-20 throughout the bike, and saw ZERO drafting, blocking, position fouls. One dude tossed a bottle out in the middle of nowhere (no ref around) and that was it, from my vantage point. The story at InsideTri indicates the next wave (women, M40+, ultramax relays) had a little drafting to deal with...probably due to more ppl on the course...but I thought ours was pretty clean.

As for my race, I had a huge PR (~4:3x) going through about 5mi on the run before the hills and sun (no shade - think Eagleman) finally caught up to my training trainwreck of the last 2mo. Perusing the prelim results, it looked like the course was having effects across the board though, as I noted a few names from my AG who'd qualified with faster times than me were in fact behind me. INteresting.

Hey SLOWMAN, I echo clm's comment from an earlier thread...this venue sports a course that may be up to your lofty standards.

I'll be back, in a new AG, for 2005. Count on it.

Carl 4:46:xx

6th M30-34

30th OA

#292, black GT Vengeance w/Renn and Hed3, dive flag towel marking my (end spot!) transition area, Tripower Multisports skinsuit

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. A great race in a great venue and it was too close to the Great Floridian for me :-(. I'm insanely jealous right now. Great race, buddy. Congrats!

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went there in a general spot hoping to cause some damage to the qualifiers domain (and see my parents in KC) It turned into a training day pretty quick on the bike with some back spasms. Oh well, it was a nice day and great race.

Only thing missing was a few hundred more people! C'mon folks.....sign up!

Posted a few remarks under the UM thread. Mark runs a great race...as noted from all the comments above. Not really sure I could stomach being so loney out there for the full IM, but it's an AWESOME 1/2 course.

I did see a bit of drafting. Not the naive kind, but rather a peloton around the 2:35 bike split. Dave camped out and wrote everybody up, but NO ONE broke up!!!! In a larger race, with more officials, these folks would have been DQ'd.

Nothing personal against your buddy who won (he's a nice guy...chatted before the race), but I'm disappointed that he wasn't DQ'd for not wearing a shirt. Clearly was stated at the race meeting tops were required.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when/where did you see Steve w/o a shirt? on the bike? every time we crossed paths on the run he had the skinsuit unzipped as far as it would go, but it was still hung on his shoulders.

I will say that I saw MANY ppl on the run w/o shirts, though. without seeing the ref's report I don't know how many he bagged for that...but I did see him riding his bike back and forth across the dam and pulling out the notepad now and then.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did notice the shirtless gentleman out there and was wondering the same thing. Oh well, no skin off my nose.

But I did see one pace line out there. I got pissed when three guys buzzed by me early on the bike in a line and I complimented them on their pace line. Surprisingly they broke it up! Or at least after I passed all three in one fit of draft indignation I never had them pass me again.

It was as near an ideal race as one could hope for but they weren't legalistic in officiating, right or wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was one guy on the bike w/o a shirt, but I don't think it was Steve. I only saw small instance of drafting by the half folks (mid-pack, about 4-5 people) on the way back as I was riding out.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may have been close to the group that you noticed. If not, I saw and was mixed in with a few different groups throughout the race. I really only saw a couple competitors that I was convinced were drafting intentionally. The problem is that if there is a group of 4-5 riders moving at about the same speed and one person in the group is drafting, it gives the appearance that the whole group is too close.

I was happy to see the marshals as much as I did. When I saw the list of penalties, I was a little suprised that there were not more for drafting. I'm pretty certain that they weren't calling them unless it was a very certain violation.

At one point, the marshal on the 3 wheeler was behind a group that I was coming up on and forced me to ride the brakes all the way down a pretty decent hill to avoid running up his back. I was yelling at them to pick it up, but with the helmets and unmuffled exhaust, they only heard me as we approached the bottom of the hill. They took off fast at that point, but it was kind of a bummer.
Quote Reply
Results are UP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at the ushalf website

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(edit - just read the insidetri article...the guy I thought was referred to above was NOT the guy w/o the shirt. My apologies. Must have been the 2nd or 3rd guy (as he raced last week in LA as well)

Hopefully my post wasn't making seem like a whiner. Heck, I'd rather have gone shirtless....but didn't want to risk DQ. I've been in races where they pulled people off course. No amount of coolness would have caught me up to his pace.... ;o)

As for the drafting, I'm sure this has been disgusted in detail here, but I'm a firm believer in self-policing. It was perhaps the least amount of drafting I've seen in a race of 400 people. If some ass (or ignorant) is trailing, I don't wait for the official. I'll either do a farmer blow or keep looking back at say "you wanna take the front for a little bit....with a smile, of course".

But, I don't think the problem is ever really "drafting", but rather the person getting passed doesn't move back and psychologically wants to keep pushing the rider who just made the move rather than admit defeat.
Last edited by: Smitty8: Sep 27, 04 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [Visitor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled over for an ambulance who had his siren going. I was up near the front at this point so I figured one of the leaders must have been in a bad accident. I imagined a nasty scene up the road. Turns out the ambulance just pulled into a little parking lot ahead of me and hung out there.

I was a little pissed.
Quote Reply
Re: U.S. Half Race Report [Visitor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you notice that insane #1 Swim split?

Dude plopped down a 21:23!

And I know that was an accurately measured course.

I have never seen a legitimate HIM swim split that fast.

He blew up later but that is still damn impressive.
Quote Reply