Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dream Crusher.... give me a break
Quote | Reply
Alright, I hesitated to give this guy anymore attention then he deserves (See http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=faulkner;#1976558) , but having just watched the TV coverage of IMWI, I couldn't resist.

This Nat Faulkner guy, was hard to stomach. He came off as way to cocky for his own good. Yes he had the fastest bike split (but DNF'd). So early in the run he had a t.v. guy beside him - The camera guys asks a few questions, and Nat gives some smart ass attitude. The camera guy (surprised to see an AG doing so well) says "you realize your in 3rd place?" And Nat goes, "no I'm amateur so I'm 10 minutes up." The guys like, "I know... so how's 1st place amateur?". Then Nat (unprompted) says he has buddies on the Mens Olympic Rowing team and he's using their motto - to crush dreams. He states, "thats what I'm hear to do, to crush everyone else's dreams...will see how it goes."
I thought, give me a break this guy hasn't even finished an IM yet, and he's talking like that?

Sure enough he starts getting passed by some pro men on the run, and when Jason Shortis goes buy him, Nat reaches out his hand to give him a "low-five" (like way to go) and Shortis just ignored him and ran right by (like who are you) ...I thought it was very appropriate.

On his blog he talks like quitting after the half way point of the run was all apart of the IMWI race plan in prep for Kona - unless he was leading the whole race.

So what ya think? I think he's way to cocky for hi own good and while he may just go to Kona and win, I hope he's served some humble pie.
Last edited by: JBell: Oct 7, 08 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got to give the guy mercy for anything that was said while being interviewed IN THE MIDST OF A RACE. It's the reporter I'd like to bash for a while!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I don't give a shit what some age-grouper does or doesn't do or say in the middle of a race, or any other time.

That's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [el fuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
O.k., then I got to wonder...why do you even bother coming to this form?
Last edited by: JBell: Oct 6, 08 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh come on, that's no fun - unless you are super fast you must not get to offer your opinion on very much :) The guy is obviously talented/hard working, I just thought talk like that was "off". You rarely hear pro's talk with that swagger, let alone a minimally unproven AG'er.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
O.k., then I go to wonder...why do you even bother coming to this form?
I think people might take you more seriously if you learned how to effectively communicate via the keyboard for starters.
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [diver1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx, fixed it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for many people that are this strong, the testosterone is strong with them, so they are going to be hyper agressive pricks sometimes.

I'm willing to allow for it, its funny.
=)

In Reply To:
Oh come on, that's no fun - unless you are super fast you must not get to offer your opinion on very much :) The guy is obviously talented/hard working, I just thought talk like that was "off". You rarely hear pro's talk with that swagger, let alone a minimally unproven AG'er.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does he have a Kona spot if he hasn't finished an IM yet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I guess I kinda thought it was funny too, well more of a joke really - but I digress ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [Cannonball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How does he have a Kona spot if he hasn't finished an IM yet?

Than man crushes freaking DREAMS
He races where he WANTS

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [Cannonball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He got a spot at a 70.3 qualifier - California I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was awesome! LOL! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is the second day of the rest of your life if you started keeping track yesterday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The man crushes freaking DREAMS
He races where he WANTS"

Oh shit, are we gonna have to come up with a list of "NAT FAULKNER true facts" now?
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [paul_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny stuff - love it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He races where he WANTS"

Oh shit, are we gonna have to come up with a list of "NAT FAULKNER true facts" now?
Nat Faulkner doesn't go out hunting...he goes killing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He races where he WANTS"

When faced with the prospect of getting a JOB Nat Faulkner gets on his bicycle and spends 3 months touring to Panama.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Alright, I hesitated to give this guy anymore attention then he deserves (See http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=faulkner;#1976558) , but having just watched the TV coverage of IMWI, I couldn't resist.

This Nat Faulkner guy, was hard to stomach. He came off as way to cocky for his own good. Yes he had the fastest bike split (but DNF'd). So early in the run he had a t.v. guy beside him - The camera guys asks a few questions, and Nat gives some smart ass attitude. The camera guy (surprised to see an AG doing so well) says "you realize your in 3rd place?" And Nat goes, "no I'm amature so I'm 10 minutes up." The guys like, "I know... so how's 1st place amature?". Then Nat (unprompted) says he has buddies on the Mens Olympic Rowing team and he's using their motto - to crush dreams. He states, "thats what I'm hear to do, to crush everyone else's dreams...will see how it goes."
I thought, give me a break this guy hasn't even finished an IM yet, and he's talking like that?

Sure enough he starts getting passed by some pro men on the run, and when Jason Shortis goes buy him, Nat reaches out his hand to give him a "low-five" (like way to go) and Shortis just ignored hiim and ran right by (like who are you) ...I thought it was very appropriate.

On his blog he talks like quitting after the half way point of the run was all apart of the IMWI race plan in prep for Kona - unless he was leading the whole race.

So what ya think? I think he's way to cocky for hi own good and while he may just go to Kona and win, I hope he's served some humble pie.
do us a favor and run the spell check, at least, before you post. Now did you mean "amature" or "amateur"? and what's this "hiim"? is it 'hi im" or what. In fact, the amature word fits quite good in your posting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'm not sure what the big deal is. So he was talking some smack in T2, he was 10min up afterall. I'm sure that he will bring it at Kona and and we'll see if he is going to back up the talk or if he blows up. It just sounds to me like he views Triathlon as a competition, not just a journey of self examination.

I mean, compared to some of the things we would say, or the mottos we had in Lacrosse, Dream Crushing is pretty mild. Pretty awesome, but pretty mild.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he thinks he's winning because he left 10 min after the pros then I'll call scoreboard too and show him the person that finished at 1 minute to midnight and is above him on the final standings.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [scj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lighten up Francis! We're just having a bit of fun at someone else's expense. Well deserved I might add, no need for the English teacher to throw red X's all over someone's post.

Speaking of high school, divide Nat Faulkner by zero and you will in fact get one....one bad-ass dream crusher that is!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first saw Nat on tv I was instantly cheering for him since he is a Canadian age grouper who rides the same bike as me...what's not to like. Then I heard his comments and thought he's a bit to cocky. But as I'm wont to do, I changed my mind again after giving it some thought. Dude was doing his first IM and was actually in third place overall (I'm not sure how far ahead the 2 pros were at that point, he may even have been first or second). Now he may have had enough energy to finish if he didn't give such a long winded interview, but I think he's entitled to such confidence. If he does hope to win his AG at Kona, he's gonna need a big lead off the bike though. That stature isn't going to win him the run split.
Quote Reply
Re: Dream Crusher.... give me a break [tigerzcrib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree that it's a pretty impressive feat to be in that position for a first timer, especially a first timer that's an AG competitor. However, save your smack talk for the finish line. IM is all three elements, having a kick ass time in one of them although impressive, does not usually win the race. I hope the guy does well in Kona, I really do, but come on, "crushing dreams" who says that shit? That sounds like a line in a Will Ferrall movie. He might as well of said "If yer not first, yer last."

Quote Reply

Prev Next