Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainingPeaks MAJOR data calculation problem with Garmin
Quote | Reply
As a followup to a Garmin 705 post earlier, I discovered a serious flaw in the way TrainingPeaks calculates the average speed, average power and average cadence when using a Garmin 305 (obviously I can't calculate out the power discrepancy but I'm positive it would do it the same way). The issue is that TrainingPeaks CANNOT handle variable time-rate data like the Garmin devices produce when they are set to the "Smart Recording" feature. The best way to illustrate this is just with some numbers, taken from a recent ride. I took some data right after starting from a dead stop at a light, and the Garmin had a widely varying timebase for the first 30 seconds or so. Here's the data:

8:58 2.152mi 0mph 0cad 2sec
9:00 2.157mi 12.7mph 51cad 2sec
9:02 2.164mi 11.4mph 56cad 2sec
9:04 2.174mi 14.8mph 78cad 2sec
9:12 2.207mi 16.8mph 24cad 8sec
9:22 2.255mi 17.3mph 83cad 10sec

Now if you look at the data, the correct way to calculate average speed would be to take the speed for each interval, multiply by the length of the interval and then divide by the total number of seconds. If you do this you end up with an average speed of 14.82mph. TrainingPeaks however reports 12.2mph!!! It's off by a whopping 21.4%! Likewise calculated correctly the average cadence is 53.5 and TrainingPeaks reports 58. This is a big screwup on their part, especially when the Garmin reports data on anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds...TrainingPeaks treats these as though they are all on the SAME timescale.

The other issue that is causing problems is that due to the above f'up, TP also treats every single point the same in timescale. This isn't a problem if you are recording in 1 second intervals, because the "zeros" when you stop at a light are a very, very small proportion of the total ride. In the case of the above example ride, I had 12 datapoints at 0mph due to stops at beginning and end, and lights along the way. Out of a total of 638 recorded datapoints this effectively runs down the average speed by 1.9% (12/638). When recording at a 1 second interval it would be 12/3860 = 0.3% change.

No wonder TP reports my average speed on a 100 miler as 18.3mph while Garmin's Training Center reports it as 19.5mph...other datapoints are 18.1/17.6; 16.8/16.4; 18.8/18.0. It's consistently but irregularly off by a pretty significant margin, anywhere from 2.4% to 6.6% from just a few rides. My conclusion from this is that TP is totally useless for Garmin data when taken at the "Smart Recording" feature. TrainingPeaks needs to fix this bug immediately, they have lost my business until they do.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks MAJOR data calculation problem with Garmin [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you report this to Training Peaks?

If you have not reported this to this yet, STFU until you do - bitching about a software bug, or other product issue that is correctable before you've reported said issue to the manufactuer makes you look dumb.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks MAJOR data calculation problem with Garmin [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you say training peaks do you really mean Wko+?

If so why would you even bother with it if you do not have a power meter? Seems like kind of a waste of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this deserves a congressional investigation. How will people possibly be able to train?????

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is indeed a bug.. we've known about it for a while and we recommend the 1s recording rate as shown on our support page:

http://support.trainingpeaks.com/...garmin/edge-705.aspx

Definitely, don't use Smart Recording if you use WKO+.

-Gear
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks MAJOR data calculation problem with Garmin [gear_fisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gear for the link, I spent hours searching and found no info on the Garmin 305 and must have missed that one on the 705 FAQ. In fairness, it hardly says that your numbers could be off by over 5%. This makes it pretty useless for IM training as most weekend rides are going to be 5+ hours. Anyone using a 705 or 305 is limited to 3.5hr rides when using the 1s recording rate. Is it going to be fixed in version 3 of WKO+?

In response to the other putzes who replied to the thread, since I can't afford another powermeter after the Ergomo debacle and am waiting for the dust to settle on the wireless SRM and Quark...I am using HR and speed/cadence to track my efforts and it gives me at least a ballpark reading on my rides. If you hadn't noticed, there were at least 3 threads in the last 2 weeks about big problems with WKO+ not displaying power, speed or HR with any relation to reality...

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI.. In talking with Jim at Quarq, he mentioned that version 2.4 of the EDGE 705 firmware allows essentially unlimited recording hours now. Not sure how this got by us without knowing, but, alas, Garmin does not consult us too often on these updates. Take a look at the firmware updater on Garmin.com, hopefully the 1s recording rate coupled with the 2.4 firmware will be the ticket. Yes, we intend to address the issue with "smart recording" in the next release of WKO+.

-Gear
Quote Reply
Re: TrainingPeaks MAJOR data calculation problem with Garmin [gear_fisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Gear, thanks for the update...this is definitely good news! I love all the features of WKO+ and would like to be able to use this with a 705 and either SRM or Cinqo. It sounds like we need some guinea pigs to try out the new 2.4 software, as they haven't released a similar update for the 305 since version 3.2 in May 2007. Maybe you could prod them into doing it? Smile Unlimited 1s recording time would be great! I'll ping a few guys who are using the 705 to get them to try the update.

Mad
Quote Reply