Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Warning: Another Moo report
Quote | Reply
Hope you're not too tired of these yet.

I've got to say I'm somehat surpised by how the race turned out. This was the least prepared I've felt going into an IM. I went into the race more relaxed than usual b/c I wasn't expecting big things, and consequently did many, many things I normally won't do leading up to a race of this importance. I did the SB long course 2 weeks out which featured a 10 mile run to finish which I feel is on the long side two weeks out from IM. The week before race week I probably drank alcohol 6 of 7 days - I usually abstain at least one month out. Then there was the 6 hour, 104 degree, 75 mile, dehydration-fest one week before the race(I know... 6 hours, only 75 miles? Don't ask). Probably not the best leadup I was also a little concerned about my pre race weigh-in. I came in at 180. MUCH heavier than I anticipated.

A few things caused me not to be too worried though:
  • I don't fall apart in long course races(anymore) so I figured the absolute worst that could happen was me finishing in 11:20 or so. In the last 2-3 years I've done 5 1/2 IM's and 4 IM's and I don't think I've had to walk more than the length of an aid station. I've certainly had bad races and I've made bad raceday decisions, but they haven't resulted in a complete meltown.
  • I felt very confident abut the bike. Leading up to race, I had experienced a steady, definite improvement over 8 weeks or so and figured I might rank higher on the bike than the run for the 1st time ever in a 1/2 or IM.
  • The weather was getting warmer. I told my mom the day before the race that if the sun came out, that might be the one thing to save my race. Yes, if it was a hot day I would be slower, but everyone else would be much slower. I have always enjoyed training in the heat and always make a point to do at least 1/2 of my long runs in the hottest part of the day as well as 1/2 my long rides. Maybe this is unsportsmanlike to think of it his way, but when it's hot, it's 10x as important to get your nutrition right and many begin to have issues. Fortunately, I am blessed with an iron stomach and I'm accustomed to training and eating in the heat.

I had 3 bagels, some sliced turkey, OJ, a poptart and a banana for breakfast and headed out to the start. The swim was my one worry as my total swim distance for the last ~4 months was only around 15k and my 2 longest swims were actually during race week and each was only 1.2 miles, half the distance I would have to swim during the race. My one loop swim at the venue took me 46 minutes, so I was expecting to swim around 1:35 when my last 3 IM swims had been 1:16-1:17. This really got me down in the days before the race, but I received some good advice and got out of my funk. The swim was uneventful for me, and I guess it was a bit choppier on the day I did my loop because I finished the swim in 1:25, more than satisfactory given my lack of swim training.

Some people keep songs in their head during the bike, others focus on their HR/watts, etc...I count the people I pass. It helps the miles tick by for me. I was also thinking I might break my personal record of 985 people passed on the bike. Within 5 miles I was up to 200 and almost hit 500 before the start of the 1st loop. By the end of the 1st loop I had passed almost 900 people. I followed Strauss' advice and I went easy up every climb, and used the 39x25 extensively. If people didn't pass me on the uphill, I knew I was going to fast. At the top of every climb I would pick it up over the crest and blast down the hill. It was absolutely amazing how many people I passed immediately after cresting. They would be absolutely spent at the top of the climbs and have nothing to spend on the downhills. I finished the 1st loop in 2:40 and when the heat kicked in on the 2nd loop my pace slowed a bit but I was secretly happy it was going to be a tough day. I continued to pass people through the end of the bike and finished without feeling too spent. I lost count after 1000 or so because I was lapping people but according to IMlive I went from 1611 after the swim to 266 after the bike. I originally thought I had split 5:19, but I guess I started my watch late as my official split was 5:23.

Some bike thoughts: The bike course was terrific. Very scenic, lots of hills, plenty of flats, some technical sections. For a strong cyclist this is an excellent course. The difficulty of the terrain really separates the field and hampers the efforts of those who would draft. I spent 85% of my time in the aerobars so don't listen to people who say this is a course for a road bike. For comparison, the bike course is definitely tougher than the other 2 IMNA IM's I've done: CDA and Canada. I'm very, very happy about my bike split. 70 of 2188 and 15 of 389 in my age group. HUGE improvements! I feel like I've moved up to the next level on the bike. I definitely feel like I'm capable of a 5:10 - 5:15 right now on a course of more normal difficulty and next year I think sub 5:10 is definitely in the cards. I have no wattage info to back this up, but I think the rotors have absolutely helped. I'm very happy with them.

T2 was smooth, but I did stop in the port-o-john for my one and only pee of the entire day.

I figured I could go anywhere from 3:25 to 4:10 on the run. I just didn't know what to expect with my erractic run training. I normally like to get in a 1 x 2:40, 2 x 2:30, 1 x 2:15 and multiple 2 hour runs before an IM, but due to an ankle injury I was way behind that schedule. I wound up doing 1 x 2:15, 2 x 2:00 and 1 x 1:45 instead. I would have like to have been running 45-50 mile weeks as well, but that wound up being 25 - 35 mile weeks instead.

Things started well enough and I thought I was on pace for a 3:30 - 3:35, definitely moving faster than everyone around me. About 12 miles in the wheels came off(a bit). I started to regret wishing for hot weather as I suddenly went from 8:00's to 9:45 - 10:15 pace. I had started dumping water on my head almost immediately and my shoes were soaking wet by mile 4 or 5. Now I started stuffing ice in my jersey and hat. I was suddenly staring that 4:10 straight in the face. Strangely enough, even while running this slow, I only think I was passed maybe twice. I had been drinking coke and gatorade consistently and also popping salt tabs(not frequently enough) but I thought some broth might be the ticket. That and a gel brought me back to life a bit after about 9 miles of 9+ minute miles. The only problem I had was the hamstring cramping which started at about mile 17. I started having to lean over during even the slightest incline to avoid a huge knot in my hammy's. Near the end it got bad enough that I actually had to lean way over and swing my legs around to the side to keep them straight during the steepest hills, but somehow I managed to continue at ~8:30 this way. The spectators were great and at the 6.5 mile turnaround I even managed a quick "macarena" to entertain the crowd(It was playing in the background). The last mile was absolute hell for me due to the inclines. I probably would have walked up them but I wanted to go under 10:50 and knew it would be close.

I finished the marathon in 3:50, good for 102 for the day, and finished 117 out of 2188(by far my highest finishing percentage), and even pr'd by 4 minutes. Finish time was 10:49. I can definitely see that a 10:00 - 10:15 is possible next year(maybe even lower), given some work on the swim, a different bike course, a little less heat on the run and a little more focus. Feeling very positive for next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Sounds like a great race.

> Then there was the 6 hour, 104 degree, 75 mile, dehydration-fest
> one week before the race(I know... 6 hours, only 75 miles? Don't ask).

September 5? Did I see you heading north on the San Gabriel path, around 10:30? That's the day my paceline went down because of a sand patch, so I guess it was a bad day for everyone.

So you went over 30 minutes faster than at CAMan, which they claim is a blazing fast course. Are you in that much a better cycling shape? Just curious here ...

Top 5% ... Good job!
Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bike were you on? a Felt? I went 1:15 swim and 5:38 bike - I'm wondering where you passed me. I never caught you on the run due to a few breaks in the blue houses - came in at 10:51.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Nice Race Jaylew!

You can't compare the two races - CA man had 30+ mile an hour winds, some crappy roads and a few extra miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
> Then there was the 6 hour, 104 degree, 75 mile, dehydration-fest
> one week before the race(I know... 6 hours, only 75 miles? Don't ask).

September 5? Did I see you heading north on the San Gabriel path, around 10:30? Probably, I would have been with one other guy and 2 girls.
So you went over 30 minutes faster than at CAMan, which they claim is a blazing fast course. Are you in that much a better cycling shape? Just curious here ... Well, the CAMan course was 4 - 6 miles too long and those constant 30mph winds didn't help matters. My bike split there was almost a 1/2 hour slower than my previous splits. Also, I added an extra 1-1.5 miles on the run at CaliMan when I missed the turnaround. To answer your question though, yes, I am A LOT faster. I attribute it to riding with my new roadie team and the Rotors.
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [GJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What bike were you on? a Felt? I went 1:15 swim and 5:38 bike - I'm wondering where you passed me. I never caught you on the run due to a few breaks in the blue houses - came in at 10:51.

P3.

Nice race! Did we do any back and forth on the run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you have team crucible gear on?

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a stud.

I was also thinking I might break my personal record of 985 people passed on the bike.

What kind of egotistical psychopath keeps track of that kind of information? Don't be offended, I could probably tell you how many strikes I threw versus U of No Ill on March 24th, 1994. =)

That's awesome that you actually have a PR of "people passed on the bike". You're taking this tri-geek thing to a whole new level.

Of course if you're counting "bikes passed" the same way my buddies count their "sexual conquests" ... then any bike you saw on the course, "you passed em". Ha Ha Ha.

Seriously, congrats again.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of egotistical psychopath keeps track of that kind of information?

probably every 1:10-1:15+ swimmer out there! I thought 660 was good at IMMOO, but I'm in awe of the 1000+ jaylew reeled in. Riding around that many blockers safely and w/o a penalty takes equal portions of skill and luck - impressive.

_________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, Jaylew!

I was one of the hundreds you passed on the bike, although it must have been toward the end of the ride when I was trying to figure out how I would run a marathon after that bike course.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race!

I was another one of Jaylew's "victims"- even though I passed over 700 cyclists following a 1:17 swim.

It was particularly tough for the "Northerners"- didn't have one day in the 90s all summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff jaylew! Congrats!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw your pic in the "heel striking" post. We never traded places on the run, I was right behind you when I went in the outhouse at mile 8, and I was again right behind when I went in at mile 14 - after that I saw you on the out/back lake path but never caught up to you.

I remember the P3, I now know what Rotors look like - I thought with your TC gear on, that you had some sort of SRM cranks on there but I stand corrected.

_________
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [Robbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great race!

I was another one of Jaylew's "victims"- even though I passed over 700 cyclists following a 1:17 swim.

It was particularly tough for the "Northerners"- didn't have one day in the 90s all summer.
I was probably one of jaylews victims also.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy bike split! That is fast. You are a stud.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Jason. It looks like your swimming is slowly improving too. Good job on your new passing PR. I know you were proud of IMC (or was if IMF?) when you did that one.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaylew,

Great time. Way to go.

When are the glendora Mtn road time trials starting up?

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report, but how could write so many words without even mentioning your sister, or best, posting her picture?

I belong to the same group of relatively faster riders than swimmers, and I also try to keep track of the number of people I pass after getting out of the water. I have a question, though. Do you start counting backwards when people pass you? Last time I tried doing that, it totally screwed my count!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome Jay!

Glad to hear they are working out and helping your speed.

Thanks for the report

-Gary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, let's see here... you went plus 1345 positions on the bike, and I went minus 600 in the first 45 miles (at IMC). Do you think I might need to work on my bike a little more next year?

Great race, Jay. I see great things ahead for you.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race there ...I was just in front of you by a few places and a few minutes...10:48 for my first IM ever....

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job, congrats on a great race!!!

Must have been those couple of mountain climbs we paced you on that helped your bike so much ;-)

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Warning: Another Moo report [jonathanb565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice race there ...I was just in front of you by a few places and a few minutes...10:48 for my first IM ever....
Nice race! Were you the tall guy I talked to w/ about a mile left?
Quote Reply

Prev Next