Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!)
Quote | Reply
Tom Evans (aka DrTommy) is fast.
He's fit.
He's got a great career with flexible hours and a nice home in beautiful Penticton, BC - perfect for triathlon training.
He's got YEARS of solid training in swim/bike/run, and a massive aerobic base.

But I've got to be able to beat him at something...

I'm not going to come anywhere close to him in s/b/r (yet).
He's got a place up at Apex, so odds are he'd spank me on skis as well.
I don't even think I can take him on at Tickleberry's...

so

Tom Evans - the challenge, if you choose to accept it:

A ~6k paddling race down the Penticton river channel.
Put in at Coyote Cruises
Finish line under the bridge that crosses under Highway 97 (where the channel dumps into Skaha Lake)
Officiated/finish line judged by jonnyo

Paddle any craft you like - canoe, kayak, surfski, outrigger, rowboat, skimboat... anything watercraft that must be hand paddled.
This is your home turf - you get the opportunity to train on the actual race course.

Date - TBD, sometime in late August

Do you accept the challenge?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man o man, the guantlet has been thrown.

I would hate to have to start calling DR T a chicken.
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai... there is two problem to this....

First, Tom use to do hardcore white river kayak training! He s done a lot of that stuff

Second: he is away this morning for 3 days camping with his wife and a few friends. He will be back wednesday am....

i dont think you have a chance really..... unless you are sneaky enough and have a special boat that will give you a secret advantage...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai, maybe a game of putt-putt or frisbee golf?!

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Khai... there is two problem to this....

First, Tom use to do hardcore white river kayak training! He s done a lot of that stuff

Second: he is away this morning for 3 days camping with his wife and a few friends. He will be back wednesday am....

i dont think you have a chance really..... unless you are sneaky enough and have a special boat that will give you a secret advantage...

D'oh! Oh well - the gauntlet has already been thrown. I can't retract now (not that I would...).

If Dr Tommy is man enough to accept the challenge, I'll step forward and take my beating.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second this great idea, i do beleive mini golf would be the best bet for khai to beat tom......

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a post-IMC race would be excellent. Lots of us will be available to witness the spanking :)

Quote | Reply
hey khai, what about the 25 meter underwater float that you perfected at monty's? dr. tommy looks way too lean to come anywhere close to you on that one...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to know that Khai has something up his sleeve. To throw down such a challenge without having some secret plan would be just crazy. Sort of like doing a race on a fixed gear. CRAZY.
Last edited by: Bman: Jul 7, 08 11:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai, are you saying you could paddle that channel faster than Dr. Tommy? Have you been doing to some upper body work we don't know about?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't mini golf be like real golf for Khai? That would be unfair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll tag team him. I'll take him on for Tri Buddha at Tickleberry's, just don't put playdough at the bottom!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you guys take a video and put it on youtube? The collective on ST might be interesed in watching Dr. Tom spanking Khai badly with a paddle!
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn Dev!!! You made me laugh so hard I choked!!! I didn't need that visual in my brain!!! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [IronRanger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how the visual popped into my brain....I just had this picture of Tom waiting at the finish line of this paddle event, after completing the spanking in boats "during the event" following though with the physical act of walloping Khai with the closest available thing that happened to be in his hand!!!
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this thread certainly took an unexpected turn...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A week has passed and Dr Tommy can no longer blame camping, cleanup from camping, or catching up on stuff he missed while out camping.

Time to step up to the plate, Tommy boy.

If you dare. :p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Khai, Khai, Khai...you picked the wrong battle (sorry I did not see this earlier...jonnyo usually kept me updated about this stuff). The whole reason I started triathlon was to get me off the river...I needed something safe where pushing the limits did not get you dead. Anyways the whole reason I lived in Golden for 10 years was to paddle. Usually about 200-250 days per year on the river. Like any sport there is a lot of technique involeved in a powerful, efficient paddle stroke. I was just about to start my wildwater racing career when a bad accident made me come out and watch IMC in 1999. That led me to racing my first IM in 2000. The paddle strokke will come back very quickly I'm sure :) Perhaps you might want to paddle and I will swim???

Above photos clockwise 1) my training partners for 10 years in Golden 2) a grade 5 boulder field on the fraser river near Mt. Robson 3)Skook narrows for a winter whitewater fix, close to Sechelt.
4) My back yard in Golden...a low water drop under 5 mile bride.

Also remember that I have special access to products that will make my teeth immune to the cold if you decide on a Tickleberry's battle instead :)

Tom
Last edited by: drtommy: Jul 14, 08 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, my questions are:
  1. How old are you exactly?
  2. What decade did you paddle during?
  3. That car is right out of the 70's...please confirm.

Quote Reply
Re: the "I can beat Tom Evans at *something*" thread... (aka - DrTommy, I'm calling you out!) [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai you are in deep here bro'
fake an injury or something!

http://www.speedsnakecoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all just a hoax to get out of the challenge. Look closer; I think the Dr. just photo shopped his picture into a scene from "Deliverance" :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Mayor, sir, I think this is just an ill-advised attempt to retain your mayorship. I strongly urge you to reconsider and rescind your challenge. Do what another poster suggested and try the 13 year old dead float challenge before this gets worked up into a class 4 river run challenge.

Seriously, we can work the issues with the fast hIM times. The voters have proven that they just aren't that smart!

Sincerely,

Your loyal Dumbassville advisor

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Khai, Khai, Khai...you picked the wrong battle (sorry I did not see this earlier...jonnyo usually kept me updated about this stuff). The whole reason I started triathlon was to get me off the river...I needed something safe where pushing the limits did not get you dead. Anyways the whole reason I lived in Golden for 10 years was to paddle. Usually about 200-250 days per year on the river. Like any sport there is a lot of technique involeved in a powerful, efficient paddle stroke. I was just about to start my wildwater racing career when a bad accident made me come out and watch IMC in 1999. That led me to racing my first IM in 2000. The paddle strokke will come back very quickly I'm sure :) Perhaps you might want to paddle and I will swim???

Above photos clockwise 1) my training partners for 10 years in Golden 2) a grade 5 boulder field on the fraser river near Mt. Robson 3)Skook narrows for a winter whitewater fix, close to Sechelt.
4) My back yard in Golden...a low water drop under 5 mile bride.

Also remember that I have special access to products that will make my teeth immune to the cold if you decide on a Tickleberry's battle instead :)

Tom

Oy vey! So much blustering and posturing... Do you accept the challenge, Dr Tommy?

Your willingness to embrace PED's for a Tickeberry's smackdown has also been noted. Your watercraft will be inspected by a team of "highly trained professionals" for anything that may provide an illegal advantage.

And I ain't scared of your Deliverance buddies, neither. :p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

OK Khai, I guess the course was picked by you and I get to decide on the boats...right?? I presume we will both be in the same craft to keep things even and thus ensure the winner is determined by physical ability only. I have decided that the Wavesport XXX will be used for this match. It is a very low volume (44 gallons) play boat that is difficult to paddle, the hull is slow but once mastered makes for some good fun even on a flat water run like the channel here. It is recommended for paddlers 100-150 pounds. I will arrange to have all the gear supplied by Western Canoe and Kayack....you can roll right??? as this is a rather unstable craft :)

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks a bit a bit like kicking Chuck Norris in the shin and saying "put 'em up"!?

Give yourself a chance man. Do a TT, the good Dr. paddles against the current, you go with it...
Quote Reply

Prev Next