Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Speaking of free online training logs...
Quote | Reply
i'm reading with some interest the hubbub over the coolrunning.com training log that used to be free and isn't any longer. active.com bought coolrunning about a year ago, and apparently the honeymoon, or grandfather period, or whatever, is over. either lots of folks are upset, or a few vocal folks are upset. in any case...

this causes me to wonder a few things.

1. is an online training log an important feature for a site like coolrunning?
2. would it be an important feature here?
3. how many of you would use it, and how many would not?
4. what are the features it ought to have?

in my mind's eye, i can see the following:

- it's set up sort of calendar style, and you log your swim/bike/run/lift/whatever workouts.
- perhaps it auto-calculates your "aerobic points" according to my scale or a consensus scale.
- all the fields are searchable in every way over any data range.
- graphs are auto-generated.

in other words, you could go back and look at your average aerobic points, per week, over a given date range, showing what quantity of work you did leading up to a really great performance. or you could just see what sort of run mileage you put in over that time. you could graph both your last 90 days of work versus another 90 days in your past. or just your swim yardage. whatever. manipulate the data however you want.

of course, that's just quantity, none of that touches on quality. and it doesn't touch on anything having to do with newer, alternative ways of judging quality or performance, such as power, as would be the case if one used cyclingpeaks or its equivalent. i don't know that we really want to venture into anything that hoity-toity.

if we're just talking training log, what other stuff would be useful?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of free online training logs... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea.
I also would like a place to "plan" a week. It would calculate all of the mentioned, give a running total of hr/min as you plan the week, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.logarun.com has one, might give you some good ideas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally wouldn't use it, I've written my own app which I can tailor to my exact likings (yes I know Java).

However, I think one of the big things would be ease of importing and exporting data. I dont like manually logging stuff, so I have a forerunner which I can pull everything off of. Exporting the data out of the site would be important as well, so if you do decide to move on you can take all of the data with you, in a nice format of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be very cool to be able to link it to your profile if you were so inclined.

A section for gear tracking is also very helpful. Workoutlog has it and it makes it very easy to track the mileage on sneakers and tires. Also the route section that let's you put in regular routes and compare past result. ie I can look at all the times I have run or ridden a certain loop for a comparison.

Think it would a great idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, I use the one on BeginnerTriathlete.com. I have pretty basic needs for my training log, but they have alot of features that would be useful for someone that had more detailed needs I think. Click my "MOP Training Log" signature to go to mine.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Take a look at the training log on beginnertriathlete.com. I've been using that for a couple months now and its pretty darn good. The name of the site put me off at first (yeah, I'm a snob)...but now that I use it, I like it. I don't pay for it, I just use the free version.

The basic features that I like

Calendar (daily, weekly, monthly view)
Graphs
easy entry of time/distance for each sport (must include both imperial and metric)
open fields for notes

Nice but not necessary: other fields for sleep quality, body weight, fatigue level, etc.

I also really like the integrated route feature (which uses a Google Maps API, I believe)...I've used gmap-pedometer, routeslip, mapmytri, bikely and various other route mapping sites and ditched them all because now that functionality is built into my online training log.

I like the idea of calculating aerobic points and the ability to compare over different time period....that would be a very cool feature.

I'm sure a lot of folks would like the ability to upload HR, power data from all the major devices (polar, garmin, pt, srm, etc.)...that to me is an important feature of a paid service...but I certainly wouldn't expect it from a free one.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because Slowtwitch is a site I already come to a lot, I believe I would use a log here. It's not something you need here but it would be a very nice thing to have. As it is now I use an agenda to record/plan workouts, I should move into the 21st century i suppose.

As for other features, I would say it would need somewhere to record notes on the workout. Such as how the workout felt, any pain experienced, where you did it.....
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of free online training logs... [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I also would like a place to "plan" a week.
The service by: http://www.workoutlog.com/ is set up with the idea that a coach can have access to your stuff and can plan stuff out for you on there. Then you log in there and can see what you're supposed to be doing.

Whether or not you've got the ability for two people to access an "account" it would be good to have a system in place that can download training programs from one another or some database to your calendar and then customize them. Idealy you plug in the race date and it fills your calendar backwards from there. I feel like it would be a a good way for all us STers to waste more time comparing training plans against one another and arguing over whether periodization should occur on a 21 or 18 day cycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, BeginnerTriathlete.com has a great training log. But to add to that I think having an equipment tracking function ie:miles on shoes, and bike would be great too. I would totally use a Slowtwitch log if it was anything like the BeginnerTriathlete one.

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a great idea as I'm here anyway and I'm tired of losing all those little log books
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of free online training logs... [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I log on beginnertriathlete and trianingpeaks (for my coach). It would be a tall order to get a better log than beginnertriathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

1. is an online training log an important feature for a site like coolrunning?

--if the community bothers using it... hell ya.

2. would it be an important feature here?
--if you're going to do it, don't half-ass it. Make it non-crappy...Er... use your whole ass..

3. how many of you would use it, and how many would not?
--would def. use it.

4. what are the features it ought to have?
--keep it simple: just a basic log!

if we're just talking training log, what other stuff would be useful?

Regardless of the format of the training log I think a social element would add significant value. Give the user the ability to control the privacy/visibility of the log. There's huge value in this community and in the peer pressure created by allowing folks to view your data. (Were you to include support for data uploads from garmin/polar/etc etc devices you'd handle any question of number-fudging)

-----------------------------------------------------
Stories from Vegas: A Canadian in America's playground - http://www.kupka.ca
Last edited by: kupka: Dec 18, 07 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used athleticore.com for a few years and liked the format--but it really worked better for runners than triathletes.

Athleticore is free and it's fast. I found the other free training logs to move too slowly. It took too long to enter information in a field and then move to the next one.

Another nice feature is that any user can read the log entry of another user. I used to head over to Brian Sell's log every now and then to see what he was doing. I read my friends' logs as well--just to see what they wrote about our runs.

The log is calendar style and any quality workout is written in red while other workouts are written in black. This function really only worked for running, though. The log allowed an athlete to record swimming and cycling workouts as well but the functionality for the other sports was limited.

One of the guys who runs the site--he may be the creator--is a poster over here and finished 1st OA amateur at Florida I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan
I use Mike Prevost' TriGeek Spreadsheet. It is easy to use (now that I have MS Office '07 figured out), I can save it to my computer, great summaries, easy data entry. I am not sure I would use a log that I had to go to a website for. Just my $.02.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use Exel but would welcome such a site. How about charting functionality? Sometimes a picture is worth...well you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use and really like the Trifuel.com log. It does have an easy way to add things like mileage tracking on shoes or other equipment, as well as a basic (by time) comparison if you use the same course over and over. It is pretty flexible and functions as a simple tracking tool or as a more involved one based on how each user sets up his account. I used to use Motionbased.com to track, but it requires GPS data which I don't have for swims, or yoga classes, etc. Part of my motivation in moving to the Trifuel log was the ability to track everything in one place. I like having an online log since I can then enter my workouts easily from home or elsewhere.

That said, I probably wouldn't use one over here as that one fills my needs and I am accustomed to it. But I started using it because it was right at a site I already went to, it is pretty easy to get the data I want tracked tracked, and the developer (a guy who posts over there) is responsive with feedback. I could see one having the same kind of audience here if it was also supported well.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Last edited by: kylie: Dec 18, 07 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used training peaks in the past and found it to be a little cumbersome, but I like the idea of a digital training log.

It would be really cool to be able to link the log to stuff that goes on in the forum such as the 100/100 or the no weight gain challange. I know that the cooler the log the more expensive and time consuming it is to create and maintain, but I woudl think that you may be able to gleen some benifit out of it in terms of data collection for the site sponsors and morket researchers. I'm all for free, but you gotta pay the bill somehow. I think that a simple disclaimer about the data not being private in order to use the log would be fine

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Ray Britts excel based one. Nice and simple! I just looked at BT's on line one and said no way
to I want that much overhead, for me.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a paying user over at BT. Actually started there a few years ago and have only recently joined ST beyond a lurker status. As a paying member, I get fewer banner ads, equipment tracking, a larger selection of training plans that easily import, some premium (i.e. pay-for) content and an increased discount with trisports.com. To be honest, I see the payment more as of a donation that a pay-for-service. The extras are nice, but I choose to pay b/c I want to support the site/community.

IMHO, ST and BT are vastly different communities. If you want to beat BT at their game, ST would need to step it up. Personally, to get me to change, I'd first look for a site that offers all the functionality of BT that I like (Free basic version, Inspires, a listing of friends, race reports, race lookup, mapping, etc.)

After you met the basic needs the I'd look for extra. Personally I don't use BT's training plans (build my own off of Friel's book) and I think if you pooled the talent of the ST members you could create some very dynamic and sophisticated training plans. Much better than the BT variety. They don't intergrate power into the daily posting, so their is an opportunity there also.
I'm not sure if they offer some sort of "coaching dashboard" where a coach, after purchasing the service, could import key information on his/her athletes onto a single dashboard. Also, if a coach could post workouts to other members, etc. It's all possible, you just need a good application/UI developer and a good database developer. As a matter of fact, I should get back that stuff now.

My 2cents. Hope it helped. If you want any more details or clarification, let me know.
-tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth Galbraith
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of free online training logs... [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beginnertriathlete has an equipment tracking function that is great - I believe it is only for paying members, but it's only $25 for 6 months. I use it for shoe mileage, bike mileage (including notes on when I changed the chain, etc).
As others have said, I think duplicating the BT logs would be a very tall order.
tom
In Reply To:
Dan, BeginnerTriathlete.com has a great training log. But to add to that I think having an equipment tracking function ie:miles on shoes, and bike would be great too. I would totally use a Slowtwitch log if it was anything like the BeginnerTriathlete one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or if you want to capture even more of our time on top of those standard training log features you can look into doing something like a Myspace for triathletes, similar to what bodybuilding.com did for bodybuilders at http://www.bodyspace.com , which granted is probably too much coding for a good cost benefits ratio, but a cool idea nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use buckeyeoutdoors.com (not sure why it's called that). I find it to be an excellent, basic log. It meets my own basic needs:

1. Track mileage, time, effort per sport.
2. Track mileage per piece of equipment (e.g. Shoes) or group of equipment (e.g. bike + wheels)
3. Simple reports

It is fairly easy to set up an account and manage.

There is no cost to sign up. I believe the owner provides the service as a labour of love.

Having dabbled in programming for a long time, I can appreciate the amount of time that has gone into buckeyeoutdoors.com.

On top of that, he has a user-base of 2500 or so, that (in my mind) pester him with countless little add-ons, tweaks and featurettes; that he graciously accommodates.

-- all that to say, that if you are seriously considering such an add-on, be prepared for it to take a significant amount of time.

Here's my public log (you can set privacy levels to hide it; you can even allow external comments on it)
Last edited by: BX3: Dec 18, 07 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of free online training logs... [BX3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use mapmytri.com

It's really simple, includes many of the features that have already been discussed, and (for those of us not yet on the GPS bandwagon) basically creates a google map of your route. You can access other people's routes as well (if they permit). It doesn't allow you to create a schedule though, just log workouts.

Ontri.com has a nice one as well, though it's hard to look at data.
Quote Reply

Prev Next