Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
December BIKING Challenge!
Quote | Reply
Why should all the swimmers have the fun? I just got back from a 2 hour jaunt through Southern Vermont, and as I rolled back up onto the porch just as the first flakes from this supposedly major storm started to fall, I thought "I'm gonna try and stay off my trainer for as much as possible this winter." So, just like the swimming challenge, pick a goal, post it, and PM me your email address so I can add you to the list of collaborators that can edit this Google spreadsheet I set up. You can see the spreadsheet at: http://spreadsheets.google.com/...CbgR5FAmhLQy4SL4Eaag

But, like I said, you can't edit it until you send me your email address. So sign up! I'm gonna try and hit 600 miles this month, as I'm still in offseason unstructured training. If you don't have exact mileage numbers, approximate. Whoever piles up the most miles will get a shout out on my blog (http://chrisbagg.blogspot.com), but to gain true glory, you gotta be from somewhere cold, like Vermont or Wisconsin or the PNW (it's not as cold there, but I hear it can be rainy and nasty this time of year).

Kill your trainer!

"No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." Samuel Beckett

http://chrisbaggcoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [Baggage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go for it.

-1,000 miles for the month of december
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha where's Jodi? she's going to want in on this one. I'll be lucky if i get 400 miles this month. Do commuting miles count?

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it's winter here, I'll do 30 days of 30min of trainer (or more).
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [swift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah commuting miles count! That's the spirit. Lets use our bikes, not sit inside like mice on wheels.

Don't forget, folks. Send me your email addresses, so I can let you edit the spreadsheet (I'd love to keep track of your training for you, but I'm unfortunately not being paid enough to do so).

Last edited by: Baggage: Dec 2, 07 13:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking 1000 miles is reasonable.

I'll start off with 132 miles for the month so far.

By the way it was 82 degrees in Austin today! Doh! No problem getting outside. :) I guess I get a handicap, eh?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will go for it. Put me down for 1500 please.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please add me. My goal is 25 rides in December

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm in, please add me. 1000 miles.[email]
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [mayday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey why not IMNZ is not far away and bc is under lots of white fluffy stuff lets say 1600kms most if not all on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A shout-out on your blog?? But I already got one of those!

If I win, can I at least get a couple banana's or something?

:) Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, this is what I've been doing. I live in socal, so weather's not really a problem for me. I guess I'll have to get a cyclocomputer, which I've been meaning to lately. I'm not a very focused person, and I will be traveling a little during my upcoming winter break, so put me down for 400 miles. (100 mpw isn't that bad is it?)

-------------------------
"I like to start out slow, and then taper off."

-Doug Thorne (TVHS XC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding 30 minutes in chicago winter is different than watching buffy reruns on the trainer. Excuse me for not having the chain in the big ring.
Last edited by: reallybigshoe: Dec 2, 07 21:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in on this one. I get out of school on Wednesday so I should have plenty of time on my hands.

Put me down for 800 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll go for 600
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [reallybigshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!
What kind of tires are those?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oooh... tempting.
gotta think about this one a bit.

45 minutes on the trainer yesterday.
i'd forgotten how mind-numbingly boring it is.

-charles
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [reallybigshoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmmm what's all that gunk all over your bike? Its sunny and 55 degrees today in wonderful North Carolina.....:P Sorry had to rub it in

-Jason

Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [swift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1000 miles for me please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who calls it "biking"?? Either you are under the age of 12 or you show up it Sturgis every year...

But seriously, how about tracking something that is actually connected to improving performance? Volume in the form of mileage is a rather crude form of quantifying training load. Weekly time spent at or above 20MP (in chunks of 2 min or greater), or if you are building that "huge base" you could set the bar lower at FTP or so...

If you just want to brag about how much you ride, that's cool I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [ontherivet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just dropped 8-12 inches across New England, man, and it's the base/offseason. If all you think about is improving your performance instead of enjoying your time training, you're doing this for the wrong reasons. I posted this thread because there are swimming and running challenges on the forum; it's there for people to use it as they will, or maybe as a little extra incentive to get out the door in the nasty weather. Your snarky comments about my diction seem a bit aggressive, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big 4 commuting miles for me today, i did get a good 6.5 in running for the 100/100 challenge though

-Jason

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Baggage for taking the time to set this up!

Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [ontherivet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, you think that an increase in mileage [such as this challenge may suggest] or perhaps a sport specific cycling block where you ride a bunch of miles over the course of said challenge won't improve performance??? Isn't the winter for more base type mileage anyway? Wouldn't it make sense to build a good base so that the body will be able to accomplish these chunks of +20MP[H] that you speak of....

You should check out the swimming and running threads, too. Those people seem to be bragging a lot about how many yards they swim and miles they run. They could use your encouragement as well.
Quote Reply
Re: December BIKING Challenge! [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually just went through a study that paired Interval training with endurance training and found similar adaptations. So with 10% of the mileage you could get the same physiologic benefits (increased [glycogen] in muscle, increased mitochondrial density and enzymes) the training however just does not sound fun. I know that's probably not what you were looking at with your post but still interesting information. Since you're a univ student you should be able to have access to the articles if you want to learn more.

-Jason

Quote Reply

Prev Next