Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You seem to be a little lost in our discussion here. The context is/was steady-state vs micro-burst sessions, will the training adaptations will be different between the two of them, even if we achieve the same TSS score? Therefore I never claimed that "varying the intensity of continuous exercise results in qualitatively different adaptations", it does not.

I admit it, you've got me completely confused, because you state the exact opposite below.

In Reply To:
I will conclude that by performing a steady-state session the adaptations will mainly "increase the ability to generate energy steadily (via oxidative phosphorylation) while down-regulating it's rate of utilization" and by performing the micro-bursts will mainly "increase the ability to liberate and generate energy rapidly (via substrate-level phosphorylation and non-oxidative glycogenolysis/glycolysis)".

So are, or are those not, qualitatively different adaptations?

(BTW, I think you're wrong.)

In Reply To:
I would also like to add that in your reply you didn't make a distinction between type I and type II, when that distinction should be made when talking between "the ability to liberate and generate energy rapidly" and "ability to generate energy steadily".

Not in terms of the adaptations that they exhibit in response to chronically increased use.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not in terms of the adaptations that they exhibit in response to chronically increased use."

OK, so maybe I am confused on this part. If you care to educate me on this, I am sure my confusion will vanish.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Forsler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
While I have directed this at Lakerfan, I would welcome a reply from anyone.

I'm new to the power meter, so my question is pretty basic. At IMC, if I'm going to target an average power output of 70% of my FTP, what % of FTP should I limit myself to on the long climbs? My FTP is 230 (I know, its pretty low) and I'm better at going long than I am at going hard.

As I understand the discussion, Lakerfan advocates maintainning my power output as evenly as possible, That is, not letting it rise much on the climbs, while others suggest more of a higher output on the climbs and way less on the descents. (do I have this right?) But even within Lakerfan's position, I think he allows some room for output to rise during the climbs (?) If so, how much?

In the past when I have raced IMC by heartrate, I didn't think I could get up the climbs without my heartrate rising significantly above what I was trying to average, so I am skeptical that can do the climbs without a noticeable rise in power output.

Thanks

I'll do this... I'll be happy to send you copy of an 8+-page doc I'm just about to complete that attempts to explain my entire thought process but you need to e-mail at: chris at chriswhyte dot net if you're interested. Obviously, much more than what we've discussed here is detailed in this write-up. To summarize my thoughts right now:

1. You need to consider your target from a slightly different perspective. Your overall power target should be based on NP/TSS, not AP, and should consider the following:
a. Projected bike time
b. Fitness Level
c. Mental Strength

The latter two require a good self evaluation or a lot of help from a coach (or both). The first one might require some help from a coach too. Our research says a good IM target is between 270 - 300 TSS. We have a chart that we use that helps determine an appropriate IF (NP target) based on the above factors. For example: For a projected bike time of 5:30, the appropriate IF range would be: .70 - .73. I would target the higher or lower end of the range based on your (and your coaches) assessment of your fitness level and mental strength. I will not discuss what those two things mean to me on ST.

2. Establish real-time power targets for the flats (independent of wind direction -- iow, ignore things you cannot control), short climbs and long climbs. IMC has all the above -- short climbs = McClean and the rollers and long climbs = Richter and Yellow Lake. I like the following:
a. Flats -- Real-time power target = ~overall target NP
b. Short climbs -- real-time target = 85 - 90% of FTP
c. Long climbs -- real-time target = 80 - 85% of FTP

Personally, I like to shoot for the low end of the power target range for short and long climbs and I think Rick might even be a bit more conservative than that. How you attack rollers is more challenging to describe in writing but this gives you a general guideline. You also need to establish what I call a "coasting strategy." I like to increase power slightly as I crest the hill or roller and over top. I keep pedaling but slightly decrease power as I descend going more towards a soft(er) pedal as speed increases from 30 - 35mph and then coast after that. That's best way I can describe it in writing.

The above approach will likely have me yield a VI of 1.05 at IMC, although, you will see a significantly higher VI from the top of YL to the finish. Now let me emphasize that I'm not adjusting everything I do in order to arrive at a VI of 1.05. I just know from experience that the above approach will yield a specific VI on specific course terrain I happen to be familiar with.

Note: I also use RPE and HR. My quick thoughts above don't address those parameters, obviously. Also, for Mark and Paulo's sake, allow me to point out that these are just general guidelines. I don't know anything about you, your training, your background, your strengths, your weaknesses... Do I need to go on? ;-) As always, if you have a desire to talk about this in more detail where you can provide me with more information about you, please feel free to e-mail me anytime!!

Hope that helps and best of luck at IMC!!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Not in terms of the adaptations that they exhibit in response to chronically increased use."

OK, so maybe I am confused on this part. If you care to educate me on this, I am sure my confusion will vanish.
When required to repetitively contract for extended periods, both type I and type II fibers responds similarly, e.g., by increasing mitochondrial content, capillarization, etc., so as to enhance oxidative energy production, while at the same time downregulating (slightly, and only if the training load is high enough) the capacity to produce energy non-aerobically.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Bottom line: I don't think VI is a tool sharp enough for what you're trying to do. I assume you're using a full kinematic model by now as well

FWIW, I can see both sides here: on the one hand, a lot of detrimental variability theoretically could be missed by just looking at the global VI for a 4.5-6 h ride. On the other hand, however, most experienced riders already know that they need to titrate their effort over such a duration, which means that they're unlikely to ride in a highly variable manner in the first place.

Btw, thank you for pointing this out. I believe one of the fundamental problems were dealing with here is that we (not you and I) have different interpretations of variability which is why I'm trying so hard to stick with VI. We'd do much worse if we stuck with subjective terminology. Unfortunately, the problem is that a fair number of people also don't understand how variable, or not, a VI of 1.05 vs 1.1 is on a course like IMC, for example. So, we're stuck in this endless loop because we can't envision the same definition for variability, imho.

However, allow me to point that there's not much difference in variability between a VI of 1.05 and 1.1 if we apply the conversation across all types of cycling (eg tris, crits, road races, the tour, etc, etc). However, if your focus is on optimizing your performance in IM then we could potentially be talking about the difference between qualifying for Kona or walking the latter part of the IM run (even if your run fitness is relatively solid).

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I have learned someting today!
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally the reply I was waiting for. Thanks Ashburn. And thanks to the other posters that provided their insight.

Quote | Reply
Thank you. I will email you.

Grant

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So from your reply I will conclude that by performing a steady-state session the adaptations will mainly "increase the ability to generate energy steadily (via oxidative phosphorylation) while down-regulating it's rate of utilization" and by performing the micro-bursts will mainly "increase the ability to liberate and generate energy rapidly (via substrate-level phosphorylation and non-oxidative glycogenolysis/glycolysis)". Probably both of these exercises will favor hypertrophy, but I'll leave it up to you to know which one does it "better".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something else that might interest you: none of the types of exercise you guys discuss here will favour hypertrophy at all. Any type of continuous, prolonged, moderate-to-high intensity training will very much inhibit cell signaling processes that are hypertrophic.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Randolph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
none of the types of exercise you guys discuss here will favour hypertrophy at all. Any type of continuous, prolonged, moderate-to-high intensity training will very much inhibit cell signaling processes that are hypertrophic.

1. I mentioned resistance training in the very post to which you responded.

2. It is well established that endurance training results in a slight-but-nonetheless-significant increase in muscle fiber cross-sectional area, at least in the heavily recruited type I fibers. For example, the subjects in this study:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2y9w28

demonstrated 10-12% increases in fiber cross-sectional area with endurance training.

3. Studies in which subjects have performed both endurance and strength training have generally failed to find any "interference effect".

Given the above evidence, I think the question you should be asking yourself is, just how predictive of actual phenotypic adaptations are changes in signaling molecules such as mTOR, etc.?
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Aug 16, 07 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
none of the types of exercise you guys discuss here will favour hypertrophy at all. Any type of continuous, prolonged, moderate-to-high intensity training will very much inhibit cell signaling processes that are hypertrophic.

1. I mentioned resistance training in the very post to which you responded.

2. It is well established that endurance training results in a slight-but-nonetheless-significant increase in muscle fiber cross-sectional area, at least in the heavily recruited type I fibers. For example, the subjects in this study:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2y9w28

demonstrated 10-12% increases in fiber cross-sectional area with endurance training.

3. Studies in which subjects have performed both endurance and strength training have generally failed to find any "interference effect".

Given the above evidence, I think the question you should be asking yourself is, just how predictive of actual phenotypic adaptations are changes in signaling molecules such as mTOR, etc.?

1). I know, but your discussion, and Paulo's subsequent reference to hypertrophy, is clearly a discussion between your "micro burst" session vs continuous steady intensity training.

2). This is an obvious case of any training is good training if you are untrained. Whether training for endurance or strength/hypertrophy adaptation in a lowly-adapted individual, I know you know that a program including predominately resistance or endurance will give you both. Exactly the case in the elderly, as per your cited study. Now, if you take an already well endurance trained population - presumably where our discussions should be directed for the ST crowd - hypertrophy will be negligable with continued endurance training, whether it be varied in intensity, or continuous (note: need to look more upstream from mTOR for why).

3). Re: interference: It’s a stretch to conclude the limited area of work in this field has failed to find an interference effect. I haven't read any studies in which I thought this issue was definitively answered anyway, at least in any serious kind of way by means that would be any use to us, whether the data are molecular or applied. Not relevant for this discussion anyway, since we’re referring to training sessions in (1) above, which, as per (2), hypertrophy is a non issue in this context.

Your final point - interesting philosophical point, as science in this area goes "molecular". I ponder these questions alot.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [Randolph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A perspective regards your #2 point there where we are talking about possible hypertrophy due to endurance exercise.

Following a recent accident, I was able only to do cycling training, and I duly increased the frequency at which I trained from 3x to 5x a week. Most of these sessions (as they were all indoors!) were zone 3/4 and an occasional zone 5 (by zone I mean level in the power lexion) - the same as before, so my training didn't change, just my frequency of cycling sessions. After two weeks of this, my thighs got bigger: my bike shorts were tight! I didn't eat more, I didn't gain weight - granted atrophy in my arm may have been compensated by muscle gain in my thighs. I didn't measure my thighs before so I cannot quantify changes but they are present. And I didn't (couldn't) do any weights etc. I feel confident that just cycling more had this effect. I know I am only one person, but I think there is substance to the argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [NM_123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding your point: "I didn't measure my thighs before so I cannot quantify changes but they are present"

I could take the usual pompous ST stance and say you therefore have no data, but I'm not like that, I'd prefer to assume you have a reasonable grasp of whether they got bigger or not. To stand by my arguement, which I do, I'd say that you were relatively untrained at ~3d/wk compared to when you started training more. I also stand by what I said before: that training the other guys were talking about in a well trained person: if you just replace some kind of endurance training session with some other one that you presume might use different motor units/muscle fibres, you won't see hypertrophy in any serious kind of way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I could take the usual pompous ST stance and say you therefore have no data, but I'm not like that, I'd prefer to assume you have a reasonable grasp of whether they got bigger or not.

In defense of those who ask for data when debating... As I'm sure you know from experience because you seem to be a highly intelligent individual, one's perception of reality vs actual reality are often very different. Therefore, the need for data. I believe it's simply an attempt to make sure we're comparing apples to apples and not an arrogant or pompous stance. As difficult a place ST can be to have these types of discussions, I believe that most people have the best of intentions in mind.

Sorry, this probably didn't add a whole lot of value to your current topic of discussion but it's nice to remind ourselves of that fact.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Randolph - No, I disagree that I was untrained, though it does depend on your perspective. I could pump out a 59' 40k TT and had a W/kg at FTP of 4.2. So, a long way from elite, but well above what typically is referred to as untrainined in studies. In addition, two or three weeks of training more is not going to take me from untrained to trained. Furthermore, in my main build phase in the preseason I was doing 7-8 hours of cycling a week. I expect to take about 1 min off my 40k TT, which is not a very big change relative to the gap between me and elite athletes.

Lakerfan - yes, it's a shame I didn't measure before and after. Next time I break something I will! I am certain that some change has occurred, there's no doubt about it. I was just voicing my experience in light of the absence of any real data.
Quote Reply
Re: Power question: how much more should the watts go up on the hills? [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I could take the usual pompous ST stance and say you therefore have no data, but I'm not like that, I'd prefer to assume you have a reasonable grasp of whether they got bigger or not.

In defense of those who ask for data when debating... As I'm sure you know from experience because you seem to be a highly intelligent individual, one's perception of reality vs actual reality are often very different. Therefore, the need for data. I believe it's simply an attempt to make sure we're comparing apples to apples and not an arrogant or pompous stance. As difficult a place ST can be to have these types of discussions, I believe that most people have the best of intentions in mind.

Sorry, this probably didn't add a whole lot of value to your current topic of discussion but it's nice to remind ourselves of that fact.

Thanks, Chris

Don't apologise, your points are quite valid, and I'm just as guilty of going off topic.... Note the highlight above. Taking your point of view aboard, I agree all are well within their rights to ask for hard data. Many should just ask for it in a less accusatory or high-and-mighty tone. And maybe only ask for it if generally interested rather than just an opportunity to shit-can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
The more variable the topography of the course, the more variable is the optimal ride.

Out of curiousity, have you tried modeling the same athlete covering the same topography, but for a significantly shorter distance (duration), such that their normalized power 'budget' is greater? If so, you should find that that, too, results in a more variable optimal strategy...

In a sense, the distances/times in the model are arbitrary...a 1k section could just as easily be 10k. And the power limit is, in a sense, arbitrary as well. If a given course model tells a rider going 75% of FT (over, say, 180k) to ride a 1.02 VI, then it will also tell a rider going 100% of FT (over, say, 40k) to ride a 1.02.

What is interesting (and validating of the NP construct, IMO) is that, in either case, the resulting "recommended" power levels for the various slope segments are quite "real world." IOW -- an experienced racer/coach would look at the list of power outputs over certain amounts of time and say, "Hey...I could do that, and it would make sense to race like that." For the 40k guy going up various hills, the model asks him to ride pretty darned hard up short bits; definitely into MAP territory. For the IM guy, it keeps him under half IM power for all but the shortest hills.

Thinking about it...if you're riding at 75% of FT, going 10% over that figure for a short while isn't all that costly and is still within the scope of a "nice and steady" ride. OTOH, if you're riding at 100% of FT, going to 110% for a short while is a serious piece of work -- just as we would expect to see a 40K TT specialist do in a real race when he faces a hill and is going guts-out.
Quote Reply

Prev Next