Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Andy, I recall you saying that even with your position identical on the Wynn bike, you never saw the same low CdA as on the Hooker...could that perhaps have been due to the bars?

The bars probably accounted for about one-fourth of the difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aahh...so Missouri has an "Eddy Merckx" category, huh?

No, just doing it that way for the challenge (gotta have something for which to train), to see how much I have actually slowed down over the years, as a test of slightly different approach to TT training, and because I don't own a (fully functional) TT bike..
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 8, 07 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, neither are Grahams:

"Brake levers must be secured to the handlebars in such a position as to enable the competitor to readily apply both brakes whilst holding the handlebars at their widest point. The width of handlebars shall be no less than 35 cms."

CTT Regulation 14a

Stuff I like:
PBscience Triathlon Coaching and Lab Testing
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if you are in a position to find out but why does Graham generally ride standard rims as opposed to discs and tri spokes ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [fade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. He's been caught out on this one i think last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect he doesn't own too many sets of wheels these days. Partly a financial thing, and partly a 'not taking it all too seriously' (for various reasons) thing.

Stuff I like:
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

No, just doing it that way for the challenge (gotta have something for which to train), to see how much I have actually slowed down over the years, as a test of slightly different approach to TT training, and because I don't own a (fully functional) TT bike..

Hmmm...it wouldn't take much to get that Hooker hanging from the hook into shape and ready to go, would it? Especially since you leave so much "stuff" off, right? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay I have to ask: who is Graham?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Hmmm...it wouldn't take much to get that Hooker hanging from the hook into shape and ready to go, would it? Especially since you leave so much "stuff" off, right? ;-)

Yeah, right: I used to allot at least one entire weekend day - plus plan on inventing some new swear words - whenever I had to re-do the internal cable routing! No way could I find (justify) that kind of time anymore...

Of course, I could save much of that hassle by setting it up as a fixed gear, but I don't own a rear aero wheel that is appropriately spaced, the only front wheel that I have for the Hooker has a shallow V-shaped aluminum rim, and I wouldn't know my power output since my wife is using both of our SRMs. Since winning my age group isn't my goal (been there, done that, have absolutely aero doubt that I would do it again), I'm not going to win the overall anymore even if I went "full aero", and I wouldn't have the chance to set a personal best for either time or power, there just doesn't seem to be much point.

The only other option would be use my wife's P3C, but our start times would have to be far enough apart that I could raise the seat, extend the bars, and change the chainring and cog, all while worrying about just how bored our ~3 y and 9 mo old are getting while mommy and daddy take turns riding their bikes. Not exactly the sort of fun-filled family weekend that I've come to enjoy...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 8, 07 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
okay I have to ask: who is Graham?
Obree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay. Didn't know so many blokes were on a 1st name basis with him!

For the UK contingent: Don't the CTT check bikes or enforce their rules then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A dabbling in the world of sports journalism has given me all kinds of interesting contacts...

Seriously, though, UK TTing is a very small sport and so one really can be on speaking terms with the likes of Graeme Obree, Sean Yates etc.

As for the UK CTT checking and enforcing, recent events at a two national time trials have shown that the situation could be a lot better!

Stuff I like:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay no problem. I was trying to figure out who it may have been on the UK TT boards actually! Many handles but I don't know many names.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't say I'm on first name terms, but he did crack a joke when we were lined up at neighbouring urinals before the National 10 a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Yeah, right: I used to allot at least one entire weekend day - plus plan on inventing some new swear words - whenever I had to re-do the internal cable routing! No way could I find (justify) that kind of time anymore...

Of course, I could save much of that hassle by setting it up as a fixed gear, but I don't own a rear aero wheel that is appropriately spaced, the only front wheel that I have for the Hooker has a shallow V-shaped aluminum rim, and I wouldn't know my power output since my wife is using both of our SRMs. Since winning my age group isn't my goal (been there, done that, have absolutely aero doubt that I would do it again), I'm not going to win the overall anymore even if I went "full aero", and I wouldn't have the chance to set a personal best for either time or power, there just doesn't seem to be much point.

The only other option would be use my wife's P3C, but our start times would have to be far enough apart that I could raise the seat, extend the bars, and change the chainring and cog, all while worrying about just how bored our ~3 y and 9 mo old are getting while mommy and daddy take turns riding their bikes. Not exactly the sort of fun-filled family weekend that I've come to enjoy...

Excuses, excuses....

Besides, how do you KNOW you can't set any PRs? Methinks you sell yourself short.

You haven't learned any new tricks and/or are capable of taking advantage on any new (or old) technology since then?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
how do you KNOW you can't set any PRs?

I meant that:

1) I can't set a PR for power if I don't measure my power (which I wouldn't be able to do if I used a fixed gear set-up, since my wife will be using the track SRM), and

2) it's very unlikely that I'd be able to set a PR for time* unless I were able to go "full aero" (esp. on this course), which I cannot realistically do.

*Of course, there's also the small matter that I don't really know what to call my 40 km PR...is it the 50:18 with which I was mistakenly credited at the Pennsylvania TT in 1999, the 52:30 that I rode at a mismeasured (according to my SRM, anyway) TT near Houston in 1997, the legit 52:59 that I did while wearing a Tailwings skinsuit at the New Jersey TT in 1999, or the 53:26 that I clocked at the Virginia TT in 2001 despite having to stop at around 14 mi to remove a broken spoke from my front wheel and then restart and ride the rest of the way with the tire/rim banging against one of the fork blades? Personally I think the latter would have been the quickest time, but since I was riding the Hooker set up with a fixed gear and hence without a powermeter or even a downloadable speedometer, I can't even extrapolate an exact time...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 8, 07 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
how do you KNOW you can't set any PRs?

I meant that:

1) I can't set a PR for power if I don't measure my power (which I wouldn't be able to do if I used a fixed gear set-up, since my wife will be using the track SRM), and

2) it's very unlikely that I'd be able to set a PR for time* unless I were able to go "full aero" (esp. on this course), which I cannot realistically do.

*Of course, there's also the small matter that I don't really know what to call my 40 km PR...is it the 50:18 with which I was mistakenly credited at the Pennsylvania TT in 1999, the 52:30 that I rode at a mismeasured (according to my SRM, anyway) TT near Houston in 1997, the legit 52:59 that I did while wearing a Tailwings skinsuit at the New Jersey TT in 1999, or the 53:26 that I clocked at the Virginia TT in 2001 despite having to stop at around 14 mi to remove a broken spoke from my front wheel and then restart and ride the rest of the way with the tire/rim banging against one of the fork blades? Personally I think the latter would have been the quickest time, but since I was riding the Hooker set up with a fixed gear and hence without a powermeter or even a downloadable speedometer, I can't even extrapolate an exact time...

Hmmm...sounds like that all leaves it pretty much wide open for setting a PR. If you can't honestly say what it is so far, then whatever you do next is first in line for that claim.

BTW, you wouldn't get credit for the last one anyway since we don't count "virtual times" ;-) We can also leave out the first one since you KNOW it's not correct.

C'mon...you know you want to do it...it's time to rock the Hooker! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Only among this community would that statement not have a lewd interpretation!
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [I am the walrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Only among this community would that statement not have a lewd interpretation!

Well...it's been said before that Dr. Coggan has a predilection for Hookers ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
sounds like that all leaves it pretty much wide open for setting a PR. If you can't honestly say what it is so far, then whatever you do next is first in line for that claim.

:-)

I used to tell my boss in Galveston that after a certain age, there's a 5 y statute-of-limitations on PRs, as physiologically you're really no longer the same person, and so shouldn't try to compare your present self to your younger self. By that standard, I guess my 40 km PR is 54:12, set using that white Cervelo P2T shown in the "It's not about the bike" thread. (I was on my way to a significantly faster time and another podium finish at master nationals in '03, but flatted w/ ~10 km to go.)

In Reply To:
BTW, you wouldn't get credit for the last one anyway since we don't count "virtual times" ;-)

...which is what was so disappointing about breaking the spoke, as I believe I was well on my way to a true PR.

In Reply To:
We can also leave out the first one since you KNOW it's not correct.

What's funny about that race is that:

1) it's the first time that I TT'd w/ the PowerTap, and due to hitting the wrong button on several occasions, don't know my exact time; and

2) since I wasn't elgible for any medals, etc., and knew my approximate time, I'd packed up and gone home long before the awards ceremony. I can therefore only imagine the "crowd's" reaction when my time was announced.

In Reply To:

Actually, what I'd really like to do is use that new P3C...but based on the rather interesting phone conversation that I just had, it looks like we may not be at the TT after all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Actually, what I'd really like to do is use that new P3C...but based on the rather interesting phone conversation that I just had, it looks like we may not be at the TT after all.

You are SUCH a big tease! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You are SUCH a big tease! ;-)
Nah - just lining up my excuses right now. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I rode a Soloist Team at Wildflower this year in full Aero set up (AEROBARS and Front End shifters).It is a FAST son of a gun for a TT bike.

It certainly is. We just spent a week in the tunnel, and the Alu and Carbon Soloists with aerobars are faster than half of the tri bikes we tested.

Gerard,
As a result of all of your testing, is it possible for you to reveal the incremental differences in drag between your frames? For example, in the tech presentation on your website "Col de la Tipping Point" you show that the drag difference between an R3 and a SLC is .009(Cw). First off, I'm not sure if I understand what "Cw" represents in this context...is this Cd (or more accurately, Cx)?

I guess I'm hoping that we can find out something along the lines of a Soloist, Dual, or P2SL is ~.0xx higher CxA than a P2C, which is ~.0xx higher CxA than a P3C, etc.

Obviously, I'd understand if you don't want to reveal the absolute drag numbers you measured, especially since there are so many variables that go into that total number. But, knowing what the incremental differences are could help a consumer decide which of your models is best suited for their purposes and pocketbook. Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I rode a Soloist Team at Wildflower this year in full Aero set up (AEROBARS and Front End shifters).It is a FAST son of a gun for a TT bike.

It certainly is. We just spent a week in the tunnel, and the Alu and Carbon Soloists with aerobars are faster than half of the tri bikes we tested.

Gerard,
As a result of all of your testing, is it possible for you to reveal the incremental differences in drag between your frames? For example, in the tech presentation on your website "Col de la Tipping Point" you show that the drag difference between an R3 and a SLC is .009(Cw). First off, I'm not sure if I understand what "Cw" represents in this context...is this Cd (or more accurately, Cx)?

I guess I'm hoping that we can find out something along the lines of a Soloist, Dual, or P2SL is ~.0xx higher CxA than a P2C, which is ~.0xx higher CxA than a P3C, etc.

Obviously, I'd understand if you don't want to reveal the absolute drag numbers you measured, especially since there are so many variables that go into that total number. But, knowing what the incremental differences are could help a consumer decide which of your models is best suited for their purposes and pocketbook. Thanks.

maybe that data reveals something that Cervelo doesn't want costumers to know... for example that the P3C is not at all faster than the P2C (as I like to believe owning a P2C)
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's TT position in the Giro today [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next