Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why are so many triathletes fat?
Quote | Reply
Now that I got your attention, I don't mean morbidly obese. Fat is relative, and most triathletes are much leaner than the average non atheltic person, but very few have the very low fat % needed for optimal performance.

I know several ironman triathletes who could easily be at least 10 lbs lighter. It seems the more calories we burn, the more we need to consume, and we can never trim down as low as we would like to be.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are body builders who have poor cardio fitness but extremely low body fat % when they gear up for competition.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can add US Triathletes in your thread...because everywhere, this is certainly not the case...I case it just follows the trend of the rest of the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, it's because no one has the discipline or the right training plan like you do.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an article on Ironmanlive a few months ago about nutrition during endurance training. It talked about how many people actually gain weight when training for an ironman or other endurance event, because they overeat post-workout thinking that they have burned a lot more calories than they have. If you are properly fueled during the workout, you shouldnt really have to gorge yourself at mealtime. Also a lot of people dont cut back their eating come taper time and pack on pounds right before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've often wondered the same thing. There is a point where you are training enough that it should be hard to maintain that weight. Although, I once knew a really fat guy with a serious cocaine problem so I guess anything is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lean muscle burns calories. I think I heard each pound of muscle burns about 50 cal per day to support itself. On that thery, think about how many calories a body builder would burn at rest in one day vs. a triathlete.

Also, a little fat can help with energy in longer races. I would think a short course triathlete could be a little leaner than long course.

Also, the doping endurance athletes do (or don't do, not pointing any fingers) is very different than the steroids used by body builders. The "typical" cocktail a body builder is on not only builds muscle, but aids in muscle retention during "cut" phases, as well as fighting off estrogen production.

I think it's sort of a bad comparison because we'd need a clean triathlete and a clean body builder. Getting both might be tough! ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Although, I once knew a really fat guy with a serious cocaine problem so I guess anything is possible."

WHAT?! how does that happen!? I think that's something we should focus on, not the extra 10 lbs triathletes carry!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimfan, is that you?

I think it's the overuse of bento boxes ;-)

Define "fat". As compared to the general populace, hell no.

As compared to the uber-fit and/or media image of what lean and fit is, probably.

The crap that bodybuilders do to get cut and ripped for competition (and dehydrated, cuz retaining water is bad when ya wanna show off the goods) is f'n crazy, and can be very dangerous.
More than a few have died doing so.

But yes, I hafta agree, it's kinda strange to see folks who are training for say 15-20 hrs a week, who could obviously lose 10+ lbs. When I train like that, I lose weight like it was my job or something.
I guess some folks have that kinda metabolism, and some don't.
OR
Some folks think all the training is a green light to eat and drink anything and everything they want.

Still - a triathlete who is "10 lbs overweight" is still way lighter than their non-tri contemporaries.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard the 50cal per pound of muscle thing as well.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because more than anything else, triathlons are FUN! And, the environment of the sport (as compared to some people on Internet Bulletin Boards) is very open to just about anyone and everyone. The obese person who comes acorss the line in dead last place is cheered on almost as much as the winner simply because he trained for it, tried it and completed the distance. It's a very "welcoming" sport. It's also a sport that one can start out late and continue to do later in life.

Yes, I'm that former body-builder who then got married, got an over-worked over-stressed job, had kids, got lazy and got fat. From 48-in chest/29-in waist to a 46-in chest/40-in waist in a matter of only six years. I'm a good 30-lbs overweight right now at 225. I used to go to the gym to merely "work out" and that made it very easy to blow off workouts. Only until a trainer at the gym convinced me to sign up for a local sprint and invite friends and family to come cheer me on did my outlook change. "Now how do you think you'll look in front of everyone if you can't finish the race or come in dead last," he asked? And I went from "working out" to "training". I found the races were fun. The people were nice. It was cool to have people cheering you on. It felt great to set a big goal and work to achieve it. And setting some goals to compete against yourself (and others as far as standings) were not just a good measure of your success, but it was fun!

So the answer is, many of us "fat" people are in triathlons because we can, and because many of you all make us feel welcome to join in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of those endurance athletes that could easily stand to lose 10 pounds. It's laziness, pure and simple. I admit it. I have a shitty diet. I was at my lowest weight when I was just training for Oly's. Once I started training for my first HIM and IM, I started gaining weight. Did my first IM 15-18 pounds heavier than I was when I started training for it! I lost some of that, I but I am still about 10 pounds above where I was before IM training.
I do like to keep some meat on my bones, though, since I hate that too skinny, veiny, wrinkly look lots of female triathletes have. It's not all about optimizing performance for me. I want to look and feel good, too.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I am definitely 10 pounds above my ideal race weight, but right at my "ideal weight" on charts. I have gained weight training for Ironman with a much lower caloric consumption than just about everyone else I know who is at the same training level. And they can't keep weight on! I've been working with a nutritionist, but still can't get the weight off. All whole foods, fruits and veggies, whole grains,etc. I give up! But I have a lot of empathy for people who cling on to the extra 10 pounds now...

:-P

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You can add US Triathletes in your thread...because everywhere, this is certainly not the case...I case it just follows the trend of the rest of the country.
I agree. I donīt see many fat people doing triathlons in Sweden, but we have much lower % of the population that is fat. Unfortunately itīs changing and people are getting fatter every year.
To the Q why itīs this way. I think itīs a combination of not knowing how to eat and that people are lazy as h*ll. I donīt buy the "i have slow metabolism" speech...this is a way to fool them self so they can sleep at night.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [Jocke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a slow metabolism is the politically correct version of I'm lazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its all those late night PBJ snacks! ;-)

Pasadena Tri Club
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh, it's because no one has the discipline or the right training plan like you do.

I wish I did have the discipline or the right training plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [vtrader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do have a peanut butter weakness!

Actually I totally cut it out of my diet for 2 weeks to see if that was my problem... and I gained 2 pounds! So I'm happy with my PB&J

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Why are so many triathletes fat? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thatīs a nice problem. Cutting down on the fat and gaining weight. This must mean that eating fat keeps you slim :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thatīs a nice problem. Cutting down on the fat and gaining weight. This must mean that eating fat keeps you slim :-D
That's not as unreasonable as it may sound. A optimal amount of fat in the diet can be helpfull. Fat delays gastric emptying and therefore gives one the feeling of being satisfied. High carbohydrate/low fat diets, on the other hand are emptied very quickly from the stomach, so that one can consume massive amounts of carbohydrate calories without feeling full or satisfied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I agree. I donīt see many fat people doing triathlons in Sweden, but we have much lower % of the population that is fat. Unfortunately itīs changing and people are getting fatter every year.
To the Q why itīs this way. I think itīs a combination of not knowing how to eat and that people are lazy as h*ll. I donīt buy the "i have slow metabolism" speech...this is a way to fool them self so they can sleep at night.
Are you saying that we are misguided mongrels, unlike the Nordic master race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I limit myself to one jar of nutella per week. That way, I can stay under 140lbs :D
Also, not more than 1 piece of cheese per meal. Ice cream only 3 times a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate you. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>To the Q why itīs this way. I think itīs a combination of not knowing how to eat and that people are lazy as h*ll.<<

Wow thanks. Now I know I'm lazy.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of problems.

-people join the sport not as athletes to begin with but as a way to get in shape and lose weight (ok, that's not a 'problem,' per se. that's a good thing)
-people overestimate the amount of calories that they burn during a workout
-they use their training to justify and not change their bad eating habits
-along the same lines, people use food as a reward for working out
-Americans in particular work long hours, sleep very little, and lead very stressful lives, which is not good for health
-we live in a culture where it is becoming more and more the norm to be overweight

but i think it's pretty obvious that at the top levels of the sport (both among pros and AG'ers) that you won't find too many overweight people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You can add US Triathletes in your thread...because everywhere, this is certainly not the case...I case it just follows the trend of the rest of the country."

Agree. Have done Ironmans bith in US nad Europe. Not only are trhe athletes in Europe fitter, but they do it on bikes half the price.
Quote Reply

Prev Next