Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
saddle sores :(
Quote | Reply
any tips on treatment?

any tips on prevention? I always wear clean shorts, assos cream, sometimes also body glide but occasionally i get them if riding aero a lot...

thanks!!

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinner saddle, maybe? For instance, the Profile Tri-Stryke started out super comfy for me, but I developed sores when the mileage went up. I switched to the thinner Aspide tri saddle and haven't had any problems with sores since.
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a fizik arione road - it's perfectly comfortable when i'm "in the clear" :)

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a course of antibiotics.

Then shower directly before and after every ride!

Good luck. They SUCK

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REALLY?? no magic "cream" to do the job?? BALCO anyone?

PS I am already on a minimum of two showers a day post workouts- if i throw in another one i fear i might dissolve!

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, showering before is very important. You want to be totally clean when you ride so that when you get skin breakdown from the saddle there aren't bacteria around to seed an infection.

Be very careful if any sores become large. Abscesses are a bitch and need to be lanced and drained. Trust me, it's not fun. I had to have one cut open 5 days before a century ride (2 days after a 125 mile ride). But, they gave me a course of antibiotics and I haven't had a single problem since.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boil-Ease! Does nothing to treat or prevent but it makes riding when you've got them much more tolerable. Put a thick coat of it on the sore prior to using assos (or whatever else you use). Take some with you on the ride and reapply when it starts hurting. That stuff works wonders.

I've gotten into the habit of riding with a small tube of ButtPaste in my jersey and I'll put a dab on any hot spots as they develop. That does wonders for keeping them at bay. This is especially important on long rides.

When you have one do not try to squeeze or pop it unless it is very near the surface and you are sure it will burst (gross I know) because it will hurt like a bitch and make it worse. Let the thing surface naturally if you can.

Washing with Hibbiclense(sp?) after riding seems to really help too.
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stellar advice Hugh! off to the drugstore I go....

thanks man

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a few and had to get them lanced last year. My DH also had one abcess. Man, that was so nasty. I don't think I have ever seen him in so much pain.
We both had stapf infections.

I now change immediately after every ride. and wipe down with antibiotic wipes. (wet ones) if I can't shower right away. I use calendula soap for the saddle region and make sure that I don't shave with an old dirty razor.

Shea butter (plain, organic) is good to help skin heal once the infection is gone.

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [jeanneroth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful w/ antibacterial products,they shut down the bodies immune response to infection after repeated use.
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [ronnieg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ronnie, i know...but after suffering all last summer, I don't want to have that happen again!

My dermatologist wants me to wash with DIAL soap, n my saddle area. (no way, man) I like the natural calendual soap. Or tea tree soap.

I think I got the infection from shaving and it allowed MRSA in to the dammaged skin. Then I rode a lot and voila! Sores! They weren;t true saddle sores, but Stapf inections.

I just did a century ride yesterday with no problems....Yeah!

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider getting waxed on the area. it does keep the area cleaner without hair! after the first time you get waxed, it really doesn't hurt. if you already do that...i have a reco below...

for treatment:
-put hot water compress on area. even if you have to sit in a towel with compress; just do it. keeping getting the cloth hot; and sit down and relax with feet up. do it for an hour if possible (you'll have to get the cloth hot several times).

-tea tree oil. stinks, but has a high anitbacterial agent. rub it all over. it might feel "hot", but it will not burn you. i put this on 2 bad saddle sores and was better practically overnight! nights after long rides, put it on before bed and sleep with it on the area. it has healed my ingrown hairs, beneath the skin zits, saddle sores, etc. it's amazing stuff, and a little goes a long way.

-tea tree soap. cleans skin really well, has highly effective long lasting antibacterial agent, but you will not smell like the oil. this is excellent not only for boils, but if you get pimples anywhere on your body from long training. tea tree oil is a magic potion!

-Sally Hansens ZERO BUMPS; this is exfoliating for post waxing, but cleans & exfoliated skin without being overly harsh. you could use this everyday after a shower. it is basically tiny pads--like clearisil pads. use it even if you don't wax!

For prevention:
-use good soap that rinses clean. personally, i like oatmeal soaps or tee trea oil soap. stay away from Dial, Zest, Irish Spring, and those main-stream harsh overly fragrant soaps...they'll fuck your skin up!

-if your skin is dry, use lubriderm sea kelp, or seriously sensitive. both are "gender neutral" and are excellent formulas without harsh fragrance.

- PRIOR to ride, you can use the Zero Bumps "pads" that i mentioned, and even use them after wards. again, these are formulated to prevent bumps but isn't harsh (like high alcohol wipes or something that will dry your skin out and make matters worse. these wipes work well for some, but not for everyone as they can be drying and sting badly!). the other option is to always take a shower prior to riding...but that's not always practical if going from office to ride, etc etc etc

-post ride. get out of that chamois ASAP! and hit the showers.

good luck!
Last edited by: kittycat: May 25, 07 10:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alright! another vote for tea tree oil soap! that stuff is magic, i swear. :)

it's hard for me to believe someone would recommend Dial! that is shit stuff...eats my skin alive horribly. it's so drying and harsh! even Paula Begoun says stay away (she is the cosmetics cop). good for you not using it.

the big secrets are: tea tree oil soap and WAX NOT SHAVE. ;)

if you still want to shave, i still recommend Sally Hansen's Zero Bumps. the shaving can become very irritated and bumpy. so these little Zero Bump pads will save you from all that (without being too hard on you). it's what they're designed for! :)

good on ya re: your century!
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you wax at home or pay to have it done?

I can't seem to do a good job myself. Any advice?

Tea tree w/ calendula soap is the best for pre and post ride hygene.

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy who was Div 1 national cycling champ, national team---raced in Europe and he swears by using Noxema cream (It's like a facial cleansing cream I think). I haven't tried it but he swears by it.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will try it with calendula...and look that up, as i'm not quite sure the properites of calendula. thanks for the suggestion; i'm on my way to the health store now, so perfect timing!

as for waxing--i go to someone. if i had to do it myself, don't think i would! or couldn't do as good of a job. after dealing with shaving bumps, etc, the waxing is well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a lot of research last summer and the calendula is good for healing skin issues. Mix that with the tea tree oil and i havent had any trouble!

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is a great link to get tea tree oil. 100% real stuff and a great price. http://www.vitacost.com/JasonTeaTreeOilPureOil
sounds crazy but i must go through a 1oz bottle in about 6-8wks. use it for my face after shaving, adding to make my own mouthwash, for its use in the dark regions regions of the body, also for everyday skin cuts or wounds - as long as they aren't deep.. so i buy several at a time. excellent natural skin antimicrobial product.. i swear by it especially cycling during the hot florida weather..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your going to get your grundel waxed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alcohol swabs (just get ready for the sting) and polysporin. You will get sores no matter what you use if you ride long enough.
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [URA TOOL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your going to get your grundel waxed?

what is a grundel?

wait...don't answer that.

for the bikini line--men or women!--waxing is much better than shaving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I luv your new ride!!!
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your saddle sore problems on your blog. Have you tried any of the new cycling shorts that are meant for longer rides? Like DeSoto's 400 mile shorts or similar?
Quote Reply
Re: saddle sores :( [PeterC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, today I used my 1 piece DeSoto Tri-suit on my 100 miler and that was amazing. I think that my big cycling short pads are actually worse than a nicely designed tri-short. The big padded shorts I have also have big padded seams!

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, quality of shorts is a big deal. Also, size of shorts. Sometimes if too small/large have same effect. Sounds dumb I am sure, but I know how far I can go in each different pair of shorts (e.g. low cost ones for spin/trainer up to hour, then higher cost ones for longer rides/high humidity rides).

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply

Prev Next