Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Lou recon report w/ pics - long
Quote | Reply
So, I've read a few reports from some local guys, but ... a conference had me down there this weekend, at the host hotel no less (Galt House), so I'd thought I'd give some impressions to those that won't have the opportunity to recon the course and there will be little info since this is a first year race. Spoke with several locals (bluemonkeytri, chappy, squid) on this great forum and was hooked up properly!

First, met Steve Meckfessel (WTC director from FL) Friday even with some locals at a nice Irish pub. He seemed to really have his ear to the ground about what athletes are looking for. Discussed the course and my view of IM events, etc. in great detail. Expect another WTC race in 2009 and other changes soon! :) Thanks Patrick (bluemonkeytri) for the beer!

Next, the Galt House is easily the nicest hotel anyone could ask for a triathlon (or any event really). The difference between the Galt House and say, the Boardwalk at PCB is like Erik Clark racing Bjorn in a TT :) They already had IM logos revolving on the plasma displays behind the check in counter. There are 2 "towers", east and west, with the east towers getting the small restaurants/bars, the west getting the conference areas and nicer rooms. The are connected by a bridge. Cool 360 degree glass workout room overlooking the river with spin bikes and plasma TVs everywhere. My std room (east tower) was HUGE with 2.5 separate rooms, marble bath, 2 large TVs, 3 sofas, 2 desks, 6 tables, small fridge, free WiFi, you get the picture. Very short walk to LOTS of restaurants (more on that) and touristy things (like the Louisville slugger museum, etc.)

I didn't plan on this, but the Derby marathon/half was also this weekend with registration just 1 block away ... What the hell! Boston was only 12 days ago for me! But, the course was partially on the IM run course and through historic Churchill Downs, so I couldn't resist. HUGE turnout with about 12,000 runners (and almost 600 in my AG!). I survived :) Basically, the run course should be pretty easy with very little elevation change. Not quite pancake flat like IMFL, but you get MUCH more to look at with the near downtown neighborhoods. I prefer some difficulty in a run course, like at Lake Placid though. Also, the finish at 4th street live will be unlike any other IM finish.

I hope they can get some live coverage on this huge tower of TVs I saw inside!

It is basically an outside, open, large 2 story "mall" with mostly restaurants/bars and other shops. Even a Hard Rock Cafe complete with huge Guitar. Spectators could be on the 2nd floor looking down and all over the place. Should be Rockin! I can't imagine the crowd noise in there!

So, I hit the bike course with a roadie friend of mine about 2 hours after I finished the 1/2 marathon (ouch) with some really tired quads - figured it might be how I might feel on the 2nd loop (but I hope my legs won't be this tired or I'm in trouble). The first section is out River road and it is just what it sounds like - along the OH river and very flat. Pretty nice scenery.

Good section to go easy and get into the groove and will be a nice easy section to finish up on and prep the legs for the run. When you see this large Water Tower/Park on your right, you have around 2.6 miles to the finish into T2.

First turn is onto route 42 to head NE past some really nice homes - here is where I would eat some as there is a long, almost 1 mile uphill section. From there, 42 turns rolling to slightly hilly. Traffic control is my only major concern here as this seems to be a pretty major drag to the city and Louisville is easily the largest city that has ever had an IM in NA. For the record, I found the locals very accommodating and there were many other cyclists about with "Share the Road" signs posted all over.

Next is the out and back section down down 1694. This is bastard section with a lightly traveled road that goes either up or down. Period. Even my roadie friend commented on the undulations. We were either going 28-30mph or 10-14. No super steep climbing, but most all women will need the small chainring and only the strongest cyclists should try bombing the downhills and powering over the tops of the "rollers". I couldn't quite do it as the hills were just long enough to loose momentum. Now, my legs were pretty fried, but again, for an IM bike leg, easy is the key.

Back to 42 for some more rolling hills, then down 393 to a country club on one side and correctional facility on the other (?) This is also rolling, up or down, and I found myself shifting a LOT. Note - make sure your bike is in perfect shifting order for this course as you will likely use every and all available gears! And before someone asks, yes, still bring your disc! No course is THAT hilly (except perhaps sections of the DeSoto TripleT).

Next is route 146 - a pretty heavily traveled road, but finally a little flat where you can make some time. I'd eat prior to this so you can put your head down here and hammer some. You go by the KY State Prison here again.

Next is an easily missed left onto Ballard School road. This is a well paved, but very narrow road that 2 cars can barely pass on. It is very hilly with some steep sections.

You might want to eat here since you will be going slow or hammer it to make up time. It rolls up, down, left and right and they would almost have to close the road it is so narrow - there would be serious carnage if a car was coming the other way. There was also a lot of gravel here from rain run-off that would need to be cleaned up.

After the short Ballard School section, you go right on Old Sligo road and then L'Espirit. This is easily is my favorite section and one of the nicest sections of road I've ever had the pleasure of cycling on. Perfectly smooth roads, undulating up, down left and right, little traffic, HUGE homes/horse ranches with horses everywhere. Black fences as far as the eyes can see. I stopped to nab this photo and the horses came trotting over to me and licked my face!

This again takes you back to 42 where it is more up then down to the 2nd loop. The way back in will be more downhill/flat thankfully so there is ample time to recover (unlike Lake Placid where the finish is nasty hard). I think this is important in that you can go pretty hard on the 2nd loop hills, hopefully recover on the long descents in, then flat River road and the flat run. We all know it is hard to capture hills/grades on photos, so I didn't really try much.

Oh, and here is the river for anyone that has never seen a very large river!

Hop this helped some! I imagine the locals in LaGrange and smaller communities to wonder what the Hell has descended upon them! They are super supportive and used to it in the small Adirondack towns around Placid, but this should be so much fun. I would have never imagined an IM race in Louisville either, but I think this race is really going to be great. Even the swim might be pretty neat if the rain gods spare the river the week prior.

Re: IM Lou recon report w/ pics - long [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh louisville, my third home away from home.

I will be down there spectating

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the great photo's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must be right because everyone else is "On My Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived there once ages ago. I'm sure others thank you for the recon. I thank you for the pleasant trip down memory lane.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report, thanks. Can you make a comparison between this heavily undulating course and the IM-Wis course?

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great report.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou recon report w/ pics - long [sctrier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say, that semi-indoor finish could be amazing. Thanks for the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very Nice! Thanks for taking the pics and giving a recon report.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not doing IM Lou but cool pics. And that river looks fugly and dirty. Hopefully that's natural like dirt or mud (though that would wierd to swim in) and not some factory stuff from upstream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there will be plenty more beer where that came from in july (recon trip 2 if you can make it) and in august. nice meeting you this weekend. we rode the entire course today without the out and back on 1694 (which I do all the time anyway) and it was not the course I had initially pictured when I saw the directions. Quite a bit easier than the one I thought it would be.

For all of those who come in to ride the course, Hwys 42 and 146 can get very busy with traffic, so be careful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pics, Rodney! Sorry I couldn't hook up with you guys at Irish Rover, work and Pace Team duties had me all blocked up.

By the way, next time you are down for a training weekend, there is also an Irish Rover in La Grange. Slightly different venue for the same beer.

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple trivia points on the venue:
  • Louisville has more parklands per capita than any other U.S. city -- three of which were designed by Frederick Olmstead, the father of American landscape architecture.
  • The busiest canal in the world: more tonnage passes through the McAlpine Locks and Dam System on the Ohio River than the Panama Canal and Suez Canal combined!

• Kentucky has more miles of running water than any state except Alaska.

• The Colgate Clock: the second largest clock in the world is Southern Indiana's claim to fame, but it faces Louisville!

• Louisville is the city with the most manufacturing jobs in the southeast. Major manufacturers are Ford Motor Company, General Electric, and Brown-Forman. UPS is the largest employer in Louisville.

By the way, Abraham Lincoln once stayed at the Galt House. And Larry Burkhead met Anna Nicole Smith at the Kentucky Derby in 1999. Yep, ol' Larry's from L'ville. And Queen Elizabeth is coming to the Derby this week. Hurray.

- Tom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the pics! I am planning to go down there may 27/28 or thereabouts and ride it both days.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice report!

it's going to be an exciting Ironman! i'll be there cheering everyone on. :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou recon report w/ pics - long [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pics are great!! Can't wait to be there cheering on my clients from WI ~~ should be fun place to watch the IM~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details... looking forward to to August!!!

Has anyone made a comparison to the MOO course yet?? What about gearing, 11x23 ok? I think the only time I went 11x25 was Triple T.

-scott t

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for scouting and posting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! thanks a lot. I've never been to Louisville and those pics really helped me to get an idea of what the course will be like...and thus how to train. It looks like the finish will be a good place for the family to hang out, though it does look like it might be kinda tight in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pix. The "welcome to" sign is awesome....
Quote Reply