Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
real food to bring on training rides?
Quote | Reply

I've become too attached to eating gels to keep me going when I'm out riding.
I really like some of the gels, but I like my teeth more, and the decay has really gotten out of hand. So I'm trying to figure out what to bring - foods that have primarly complex carbs or simple carbs, but not refined sugar; foods that are relatively benign for teeth; and preferably foods that have a high calorie-to-volume ratio.

my thoughts right now are pretty much limited to fruits, esp. bananas, but am looking for other suggestions.

Also, is there any variation from one gel to another? Will hammer gels' lack of simple carbs make them less damaging for teeth?

thanks for any advice;
-charles
Quote Reply
Re: real food to bring on training rides? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clif shots have only a few grams of sugar in them plus they are organic :). how about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches( a good jelly with no HFCS of course) those always taste great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peanut butter and honey sammys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone from my Tri-club just recommended Smucker Uncrustables. Frozen Peanut Butter sandwiches with no crust. They come in individual packages with choice of Grape, Strawberry, Honey or plain. Very good although the honey can be messy if you are not careful.

Delicious

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be too processed for what you're searching, but my riding partner always brings fig newtons (and shares!) and dear lord am I grateful around the 3:00 mark.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Banana bread and honey sandwich.

Fruit.

Granola bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I use gels, I just make sure to swish sp? water around in my mouth to rinse my teeth off. I also use Carbo Pro, which I can carry all my calories in one bottle, and then carry water in the other bottles. Rinse and repeat;-)

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peanut m & m's

nutella sandwiches

oreos

nature valley fruit and nut bars

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fluffernutter.

Two for anything over 100 miles!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sometimes put 1/3 of a chicken burrito from Chipotle in my bento box. I eat it at the 50 mile mark every long ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold Pizza!! Mmmmm.

Thin crust is usually better b/c it can be tough choking down a thick cruster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chas, this should give you everything you need without the wait for responses.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...l%20food%20;#1106269

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned Fig Newtons. I keep a bunch of them in a bento box for long rides and races. For 1/2 IM and IM, I eat exclusively gel and Fig Newtons on the bike. Two of those little suckers are about 120 calories.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fig newtons are always nice.

I'm partial to Kit Kat bars and Snickers bars as well.
(dunno if ya consider them "real food" or not, they are certainly not gel - unless it's really hot)

More sugar-based stuff, but Gummi bears are also yummy during a ride.

It doesn't address yer q directly, but, I think you could probably gargle for your entire ride in sugar-water, and as long as you used some mouthwash and brushed yer teeth right after the end of said ride, you'd be none the worse for wear, teeth-wise.
I'm not a dentist, nor do I play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite.
YMMV.

I eat more crap food than just about anyone (see above mention of candy during rides), and my teeth are fine.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thses rock as long as its not too hot:

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommendations from my dentist: swish with water after gatorade or a gel, try carbo-pro to reduce the acidity, chew sugarless gum in between gels, avoid anything gummy or sticky like fig newtons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use what the pros use.....
lightly boiled potato slices, with a bit of salt.....

"Pace is just a matter of having enough RedBull..." -Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fig Rolls, the British version of Fig Newtons. Fantastic if your guts can handle them (my gran used to eat figs to 'keep her regular'). Warning - the cheap ones crumble and make a mess in your jersey pockets - don't buy the supermarkets own brand!

How do you make a Fig Roll?

Push it down a hill. (Cue drum roll and cymbal). Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cook up a few servings of rice, make sure to keep it moist. Put it in a bowl and heap some salt on. Then, using your hands, make several balls of rice (you pick the size). Wrap each one in tin foil (aluminum foil?) and away you go. They work great in a jersey pocket, and I suppose in a bento box as well. When you need one, just pull over real quick, unwrap, pop the whole thing in your mouth and go. You could probably do it all on the fly, but I don't really trust myself to unwrap tin foil from something that is slightly structurally unstable while riding. I make my balls about 100 calories each.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: real food to bring on training rides? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Cook up a few servings of rice, make sure to keep it moist. Put it in a bowl and heap some salt on. Then, using your hands, make several balls of rice (you pick the size). Wrap each one in tin foil (aluminum foil?) and away you go. They work great in a jersey pocket, and I suppose in a bento box as well. When you need one, just pull over real quick, unwrap, pop the whole thing in your mouth and go. You could probably do it all on the fly, but I don't really trust myself to unwrap tin foil from something that is slightly structurally unstable while riding. I make my balls about 100 calories each.

-C[/reply]

that sounds like a good idea.
when i lived in berkeley i used to eat stuff like that all the time, just wrapped in seaweed and with some flavor in it (dried salmon, sesame seeds, etc.)
i'm gonna try that.
Quote Reply
Re: real food to bring on training rides? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

It doesn't address yer q directly, but, I think you could probably gargle for your entire ride in sugar-water, and as long as you used some mouthwash and brushed yer teeth right after the end of said ride, you'd be none the worse for wear, teeth-wise.

YMMV.

my mileage will, indeed, vary.
my teeth have really been going downhill this year - not just cavities, but root canals & extractions. so i have to do more now than just brush after riding.

from what i can tell, your teeth's needs and your body's needs are very different, esp. when it comes to sports nutrition. teeth need more time btwn meals, and fewer sugars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turkey jerkey seems to hit the spot on really long rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with what you use for flavoring. In the middle of a long, hot ride, after lots of sugary sports drink, bland and salty is just what I want.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: real food to bring on training rides? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the link. i'd forgotten about that thread (to which, ironically enough, i'd contributed a post).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd forgotten about that thread (to which, ironically enough, i'd contributed a post).
===============================================================

That's funny!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next