Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: coach recommendation? [Stutzperson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a second guessing, self doubting, ever skeptical athlete, probably the worst kind of athlete to be coached, I have to admit that Rich Strauss nailed my IM training. He really knows how this stuff works and will structure a training plan around life constraints. Highly recommended.

rich@cruciblefitness.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All great coaches mentioned here to start your process. I'd echo those who say to look for the right fit then trust them fully. Everyone has their way and the others will doubt that way, but it's got to work for you.

Mitch Gold, Scott Jones, and the gang at CpC are amazing people (www.counterpartcoaching.com)

Daryl Smith of Advantage Multisport (www.advantagemultisport.com) is starting to make a name for himself up in the Northwest as well

Again, just like your bike...it's all about fit and belief in the protocol

Thawing out in the NW
Hack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also recommend Michael McCormack. I have had nothing but PR's and was finally able to race in Kona this year. Most importantly, his philosophy of quality over quantity workouts really makes sense to me.

http://www.puremadnesswear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking about posting this idea for awhile and perhaps this thread is a good time.

I think it would be a great service if SlowTwitch would make a coaching list available on this website. I was trying to figure out a few things you could use to summarize about each coach as far a coaching philosophy and then of course contact info. We have access to all kinds data on bikes, like the Kona survey but no easy way to find all the various multi-sport coaches.

What do you think?

Any coach who submitted his name and info could be listed. It would just be necessary to determine what info would be needed from each coach. Maybe a 25 words or less coaching philosophy and then contact info. Or there could even be categories coaches could place themselves in; such as "less is more" coaching style or "more is more" coaching style.

Anyway, just a wacky idea.. now back to work.
Last edited by: triteach: Nov 30, 06 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: coach recommendation? [ST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Jason & Will, and have for 2 years, as has my wife. They are absolutely dedicated to your continous improvement. They are fun, friendly, approachable, and most of all knowledgable. I keep getting better and faster, so they must be doing something right with me! :) Oh, my wife is a perenial age group podium finisher under their tutalege!

www.tri-hard.com is where you can find them. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a thread three weeks ago asked by Wrymouth:

Re: How do you choose a coach? Questions to ask. [WryMouth] [In reply to] Edit | Delete | Quote | Reply

Things I would think about (and did):

Figure out what your goals are in the sport. I.e. improve in technique, improve in time, improve in finishing place, something else altogether?

Figure out what you want to put into the sport, do you want to maintain your current level of involvement, or do you want to bet the farm and do whatever it takes to reach your goal. You might also look at this as a quantity (volume) vs quality issue. Or, are you willing to try something completely different? How firm are you on doing something you are familiar with versus something quite different?

How much do you want to spend?

How much support do you want from your coach? How much support do you think you need from your coach?

How strict of a coach are you willing to deal with? How strict of a coach do you need to make sure you stay motivated to do the workouts?

There are probably a few more things you should be asking yourself.

Now, you need to evaluate your coaches' philosophy in all of these areas. Check the websites, shoot them an email, give a call on the phone. Ask about their accessibility. Ask about their flexibility (an issue for me at least). If they are interested, they should ask you for your athletic background, your goals, and your resources (time and energy) available for training. With that info in hand, ask them what they think they can do for you.

That would be my approach.

All things considered, I have been extremely happy with my coach. Mostly this is due to the fact that we have similar philosophies. I can almost predict, and some cases I actually do, the tenor of workouts for the coming week. This gives me alot of confidence in what I am doing as well as when race time comes around. It is a great feeling.

Lastly, if I were you, I would put Mike Plumb on your list to evaluate. And while I can't speak from any direct personal experience, Desert Dude and Paulo, both of whom post here regularly, seem to know their stuff really well also.

Good hunting.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)

New Comments:

I would do a Search Posts for the last two years on the Triathlon Forum. You will easily come up with a good half dozen threads regarding selecting a coach and recommended coaches. Half of the individual posts will not have real detailed information, which unfortunately somewhat simplifies the comments down to a popularity contest. But, the votes are still valuable as they indicate positive responses. Even in my case, I have experience with only one coach, thus I really can't provide any comparison data.

My perspective though, after two years of reading and following the coaching threads on Slowtwitch is that just about any recommended coach on Slowtwitch will result in improvement. I.e., it is hard to go wrong picking a ST recommended coach. And, somewhat to my chagrin, I now agree that a coach is very helpful and is a valuable resource to the serious triathlete. You may find ancient threads where I once pooh-poohed the idea of a coach.

In my mind, there are five to six most likely reasons for coaching induced improvement. These range from "low end effects" such as simple self inflicted pressure to complete the coach assigned workouts, and a placebo effect generated by paying someone money for telling you to swim, bike or run. The high end effects are related to the value of coaches who know how to get people to improve based on real knowledge, experience and objectivity. I think most novices starting with a coach benefit from all the factors, while more experienced, and elite type athletes require a lot more of the latter to show improvement. Of course, the latter can result in some real high monthly expenses!

All that said, I still think the most critical thing is to find a coach one is compatible with in philosophy and goals. Trust in the coach and assignments is crucial (especially for the "low end factors" mentioned above).

Now, back to the popularity contest, I still vote for Mike Plumb.

;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Last edited by: parkito: Nov 30, 06 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of very good coaches listed on this thread. But the most important thing, as has been said, is finding a coach that you can work with and whose style gets results for you. When I was choosing a coach, I did extensive research and then narrowed down the field of candidates. Then I contacted each one with a few key questions, and made my decision from there. I couldn't be happier with the result. Research is key, and everyone is different.

That being said, you need o take a look at Mike Plumb. He is my coach now and he's a genius. His workouts are simple and they get results, and I think he really understands how each of his clients are different and how he must work differently to get results from each. He has a lot of training as a teacher, and I think that really helps.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: coach recommendation? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with Don Fink? donfink.com
Quote Reply
Re: coach recommendation? [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well..now that you bring this up....yes, i m doing some internet coaching now for those interested but far away from victoria!!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: coach recommendation? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you man. Does the coaching program includes also how to pickup The Womens? I think this could be a very valuable resource for some of the folks :)

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply

Prev Next