Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quixotic Scott Plasma 3 TT Build. Objective: use readily available parts and have no exposed wires on the front
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all the contributors in the Plasma 3 TT/ Premium thread, i was able to accomplish this rather quixotic/Cap'n Ahab like objective. Special thanks to fellow forumites tetonrider, Jaymz, Tri-frank, and BergHügi for their time and knowledge on this matter. Things are still not totally finished as i'm waiting for my Nokon brake housings to come in, but here's an early write up of the whole thing.

I'm not so inclined when it comes to electrical work, so this mean that soldering and wire splicing were out, and i relied on parts readily available.

Frame set up:
-Scott Plasma 3 TT with PRO Missile Evo handlebar and stem

Di2 set up:
-Controlling Junction box: EW-67
-Shifters: R671 shifters on the extensions (i forwent the bull horn shifters)
-Battery: external; long external mount
-Other junction boxes: 3x JC-41
-Wires needed. Wires to rear JC-41: 1000 mm to the battery, 550 mm to the RD, 300 mm to the FD, 300 mm to the EW-67. Wires to the middle JC-41: two coming from the EW-67 and one 1000 mm connecting the middle to the front JC-41. Wires to the front JC-41: the aforementioned 1000 mm to the middle junction and wires from the R671 shifters.

Pictures:

Before installation of the wires

Rear and middle JC-41. The rear JC-41 is in the background, right under the FD. The middle JC-41 is in the foreground and has three connections.

The battery mount. Scott engineers botched this one, and the bosses on the seat tube could accommodate either a battery or a water bottle, but not both, thus requiring some jerry-rigging.

You learn from others. A fellow forumite set up his bike in a similar fashion, with the controlling junction box placed on the top of the BB. This is temporary as additional adjustments may be needed, so it's tied down with electric tape.

The stem. The stem on the Plasma 3 was specially made to "accommodate" the controlling junction box of a Di-2 7970. Even then, it required the filing down of quite a bit of the box to fit inside the stem. The JC-41 fits nicely in the space. Also, note the brake housing inside (for rear brake). There will also be a short, tightly bend housing for the front, which required the drilling of the stem so that the front brake housing will reach the cable stop of a Tri-Rig Omega.

Front JC-41 and the rear brake housing (in the background) about to be stuffed inside the stem. Space is tight, but it'll fit.

Actually had the wires from the shifters be arranged at the rear of the JC-41 and wire from the BB area at the front as this apparently saved some space.

For a temporary, proof of concept thing, i routed the wire from the LHS shifter through the extension, risers, and basebar into the stem. No exposed wires here.

Here's everything stuck inside the stem. You can catch a glimpse of a wire and the JC-41.

Downside is that the length of the wires are too damned long, and i'll probably have to wrap these around the extensions when everything is finally set up.

Current set up. For ease of adjustment, the wires are not routed through the extension and risers. The PRO Missile Evo allows two sets of width, and the wires are going into the bar where the wider risers would have been.

A shot of the front end.

Things remain to be done: finish drilling the hole in the stem and wire up the brake housing; determine if i need taller risers; and glue on magnets for my eSs aRe aM.

Photo from preliminary fitting session (after cutting seatpost to size)

If i could be of any help re: set up of Di-2 parts in general or with the Plasma in particular, i'd be more than willing to contribute. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 15, 14 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Quixotic Scott Plasma 3 TT Build. Objective: use readily available parts and have no exposed wires on the front [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not race you in a TT.

That is all.
Quote Reply
Re: Quixotic Scott Plasma 3 TT Build. Objective: use readily available parts and have no exposed wires on the front [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome!!! love to see projects like this come together.

they always rely on a bit of help from others, but in the process YOU become an expert on the setup. i bet you know the plasma + 9000 setup as good or better than just about anyone in the world.

hope you race it to many victories!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. Heres did that exact process on my shiv. the 4 port junction boxes are sitting inside the extensions and junction box is inside the stem. Think this is as aero as i'm gonna get this Shiv with these bars/stem. Looks goooooood.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice build... I'm waiting on some Di2 parts to get mine built up. Why so many junction boxes? I'm under the impression that you need the front 5-port and the internal rear junction box?

Also, why didn't you opt for the internal seatpost battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Quixotic Scott Plasma 3 TT Build. Objective: use readily available parts and have no exposed wires on the front [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acrx349 wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. Heres did that exact process on my shiv. the 4 port junction boxes are sitting inside the extensions and junction box is inside the stem. Think this is as aero as i'm gonna get this Shiv with these bars/stem. Looks goooooood.

I'm glad i was able to contribute some what. That's definitely a sweet looking bike there.

AndresLD wrote:
Nice build... I'm waiting on some Di2 parts to get mine built up. Why so many junction boxes? I'm under the impression that you need the front 5-port and the internal rear junction box?

Also, why didn't you opt for the internal seatpost battery.

Thanks. The three JC-41 junctions boxes enable me to have no wire in the wind until the bottom bracket area. The additional JC-41 boxes are for a) connect the smaller form factor EW-67 controlling junction to the extension shifters, and b) to have the EW-67 at least somewhat accessible.

For point a), the EW67 is intended for road shifters, which receives the cables from the EW-67. The extension shifters (R-671) come with cables of their own, so one JC-41 (the frontmost box) is needed to interface the cables from the R-671 with those coming out of the EW-67. For point b), the middle junction (btwn the frontmost box and the EW-67) technically isn't needed, however, this would require hiding the controlling junction box inside the frame so that it's not readily accessible. Now if you are good at soldering and can extend the length of the cables coming out of the EW-67, the third box may not be necessary, but this would require two E-tube cables to go traverse the diameter of the steertube, and there didn't seem to be enough space for that.

As Nick from TriRig has shown, this setup would also allow you to run bullhorn shifters and have their cables to be hidden from the wind. Basically you get two more JC-41 boxes, one for each side, and connect each to the frontmost JC-41 box that i have on my bike. The PRO Missile Evo extensions are nice in the sense that you can fit the junction boxes inside the extensions, which have ovalized cross sections.

As for the internal battery, the two reasons are a) it would have to require a EW-90 three/five port controlling junction and b) it would have been about $100 more expensive at the time of purchase. For point a), knowing what i know now, i would probably have opted for the EW-90 three port if i were to start over. I originally went with the EW-67, hoping to conceal it within the stem, but this turned out not to be feasible. For point b), the cost of the internal batteries are now $40 more than the external, and the cost of the internal charger is $35 more than the external; however, for the internal, you don't need to purchase the mount. So net net, internal would be $125 + $85 for battery & charger, and external would be $65 + $ 65 + $ 50 respectively for battery, charger, and mount. The external, however, is a royal PITA on my frameset, and if i were to start over, i'd probably have opted for the internal battery set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha... I think. Essentially, get internal battery and appropriate junction boxes is the moral of the story.
Quote Reply