Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is my base bar toast?
Quote | Reply
Did a tempo ride today, and when wiping off my bike afterwards I found what appears to be a crack on the base bar. It's a carbon fiber Profile Design base bar, the the crack is there the extensions clamp on. (So yeah, I know what caused it. I tightened the extension down during the ride because I had some movement in it. I'm an idiot, but that's beside the point).

Is this as bad as I'm guessing? In other words, can it still be ridden (1/2 IM next week)? Or is it now a piece of carbon fiber garbage?

Thanks!

-----

Blazeman Warrior - so others may live
Live more than your neighbors.... Bark at the moon like the wild dog that you are.... And by all means, whatever you do, get it on film.

Quote Reply
Re: Is my base bar toast? [Rokko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like it should be a piece of carbon in your garage, but other may disagree. I, myself, would replace it.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, please replace that, for your own safety. i can't imagine anyone recommending you to leave it as is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't trust it. My carbon fork was hit and it didn't look too bad...when I took the wheel off I could bend it with my hand. Once carbon is cracked it is usually done.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is my base bar toast? [Orcaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks y'all. Looks like I'll be on the back up bike at Big Kahuna. Kinda sad, but I'm not going to make a rush decision on a new bar, so no chance I'll have it repaired in a week.

-----

Blazeman Warrior - so others may live
Live more than your neighbors.... Bark at the moon like the wild dog that you are.... And by all means, whatever you do, get it on film.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are that much of a comparison shopper, just get an aluminum replacement for short term. It won't cost you much and it doesn't weigh enough more to lose sleep over. It is also less likely to crush like that. ;) You shouldn't even have to adjust any cables. No sense changing your bike now, that's crazy when you can get a $50 temporary bar and be riding tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar damage to an Easton Deltaforce base bar from a nasty head-on collision with a pick-up truck. My LBS said to throw it away...of course, they probably wanted me to buy a new one from them ;-)

There's a lot to be said for one piece aero bars - if the fit is right for you.
Quote Reply