Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

zipp valve extenders = frustration
Quote | Reply
i thought that these would be reall nice, but my floor pump leaks air like a sive when I'm trying to inflate the tires. it seems that the neck is too narrow/smoothe to hold air and i can't get teh tire pressure...

Any advice?

I have a blackburn pump that has both the presta and standard nozle

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: zipp valve extenders = frustration [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the air leaking from the where the pump attaches, or where the valve extender attaches to the valve stem? If it's from the valve stem, wrap some teflon (plumber's) tape around the valve stem before attaching the extender and tighten it really well. I would guess it's not your pump -- especially if it works on tires without a valve extender.

KW
Quote Reply
Re: zipp valve extenders = frustration [kwu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, the pump works fine on the other extenders. and it is leaking from the extender and not the stem (I hooked up my long extenders and they were fine.

BTW how long shoud these sprinters hold air? Mine deflate after a day.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the Zipp extenders considerably shorter than the old long extenders? I had a problem with extenders being too short and the pump head couldn't cover enough of the extender to hold on securely. The only other possible solution I can think of is to wrap some electrical tape around the valve extender to "thicken" it up a bit and give your pump head more to grip on to.

Tires should hold air for more than a day for sure. Sounds like you've got some kind of leak somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use the zipps, but I do use the aluminum ones and I have the same pump. I have to press it on pretty hard and hold the pump stem with one hand and use the other with some bodyweight to pump it. Sounds like a twisted exercise but it's actually pretty quick. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine deflate considerably after a day.

I also have air leakage on one of the stems how you are describing. The pumping has become a 2-man ordeal. One to hole the pump down to the valve really tight, and the other to pump. And still you have to really be watching the tire pressure as you pump because of air leakage.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, they suck, the pump never fits on them right. I very much prefer the ones where you just move your valve core to the extender (just make sure you use plumber tape or they will leak).

Like this: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/...ctdetail.asp?p=TUVER

-or-

I haven't tried the following, but I saw Tom A. post this on another forum recently. Here's a valve extender that works on tubes without a removable core. They are spendy but this looks to be a great idea. Apparently these have a little rod in them that goes down and locks on the core nut & opens the valve so you essentially are putting one valve core on top of the other. Seems much less prone to any kind of leakage: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/...ctdetail.asp?p=QUPVE
Quote Reply