Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

yet another kicking question for doug
Quote | Reply
My primary focus in the pool this fall/winter is going to be to keep my legs as sharp as possible for next year's biking season.

2 60 minute pool sessions a week. I will actually swim for 30 minutes per session, but, am I better served to spend the other 30 minutes kicking with kickboard or doing deep water running?

Again, looking to maintain as much leg strength as possible over winter and want to be as efficient as possible with my time in terms of what excercises will "best" carry over to the bike.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: yet another kicking question for doug [patrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Patrick,

Initially 30 minutes of kicking or deepwter running is a long time. Build to it. Do your kicking and/or deepwater running with Zoomers. If you kick on our back you will get a great hamstring workout. It will also increase hip flexibility. You will get similiar benefits from both. I find that kicking is more interesteing because I can count lengths and time myself. If you choose to run in the water find a partner and create a routine of intervals and terrain.

If you need suggetions on either I can be of assistance.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Doug while you are here... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all the years all I have used is the orange zoomers. They finally ripped a long slash on top of my foot. Traded in for a pair of blue zoomers that feel more flexible. I didn't feel like I got as strong of a workout. Whats your take on the type of zoomers?

btw..hyperflexible ankles. I make ballerinas fearful with my pointability. LOVE zoomers..just thinking I might need to buy another pair of the orange since the blue ones just don't feel the same..opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Doug while you are here... [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the red zoomers are for sprinters and are less flexible and the blue zoomers are for distance swimmers and are more flexible. I also believe that Mr. Stern has indicated that he prefers the red zoomers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eileen,

You are right. The blue Zoomers are softer and more flexible. With your flexibility use the red ones. They are stiffer and will give you much more of a workout. See if you can sell the blues to a friend and buy a new pair of red.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Doug while you are here... [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry Patrick for hijacking!

Doug and trianthes...thanks :-) so what do I do for the shredding I keep getting on the top of my foot? I have tried socks. I am fine up until the 2 hr mark then it is inevitable. I have even tried duct tape (which cut into the foot) and even vasoline.

I switched to a larger size thinking that would help, which is how I ended up with the blue pair. I don't like them at all. I feel nothing in my legs--but no cutting on top of the foot. I gave away (TSRd) the orange ones (wait, they started as red) and have no problem going back if I can just figure out a way to stop the foot slashing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eileen,

Get neoprene fin booties. TYR makes them. They work.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: yet another kicking question for doug [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kick AND run with zoomers, eh? I would imagine the running will be significantly harder with the zoomers than without. I find running in your prescribed manner (back and forth "sweeping" movement) noticeably harder than the way I used to do it (in a circular cycling manner).

red or blue still confuses me. I am a non-kicker with inflexible ankles.

btw, i have been easing into the running/kicking. doing 15 minutes kicking/15 minutes swim/15 minutes running/15 minutes swim. The running i've been throwing in 30 sec on/off-60 sec on/off intervals to make it a bit more interesting.

thanks again for your time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PAtrick,

Use blue Zoomers. They are softer and more forgiving on your feet.

Change your intervals to 45 sec. on and 15 off. They will be a little faster then. Stay tall, hips in and keep your leg sweeps about 2 1/2 - 3 feet in width.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Doug while you are here... [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only if you have very flexibile ankles. I use blue for most beginners. The red ones can kill your legs.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vertical kicking is good too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i read something interesting a couple of years ago in an article on julie swail (oly dist pro) who was also a national team water polo player. she had mentioned that her water polo background helped when she switched to tris as she felt that a lot of the same muscles are used in the eggbeater kick as in cycling (not to mention all the swimming as well). i've tinkered with doing eggbeater kicking in the deep end of the pool, arms crossed so not to tread water, and i thought it was a useful drill. it's tough too. could only do about a couple minutes at first, then later was able to build up to 20 minutes. i haven't done this lately, though reading this thread did reming me of this, so maybe i'll give it more of a dedicated routine. just thought this might be worth for you to consider as well.
Quote Reply