Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

will it fit - help with stack and reach and Shiv
Quote | Reply
I'm exploring a new TT (not a Tri) bike. I have measurements of my current position, which fits and I want to see if I can transfer it to the new bike. I'm thinking of going from a ML Blue Triad to a L or XL Shiv (TT shiv/older shiv model, not the tri specific one). Right now on the Blue (stack/reach of 55.8/41.4) and I'm deciding between a 120 and 130 -17 stem slammed at the moment with low stack aerobar (deda kronos). I measured my stack/reach to center of the armrests in as 61.5/53 (this is with a 120 stem, but I may go 130). I did this by measuring floor to armrest and subtracting flood to BB center (stack), then with the back wheel against a wall, subtracting wall to bb center from wall to pad center (reach).

The L shiv geometry allows for stack between 54.3 and 65.8, so I'm good there. However, I'm confused on reach. Even in the XL size, the max effective reach listed is 51.5, not even close to the 54 I may need. I'm not a long guy either, more legs than torso, so this doesn't make sense to me and I think I may be doing something wrong. I only need such a long stem on my current bike because the Blue is very short in reach.

So, did I do something wrong or am I not understanding something? or will no Shiv really fit me? I'm happy with my current position. This is the closest I have to show it, but it's moved slightly since then, dropped slightly (this was a -10 120 stem, now have -17 and may go 130 as I've mentioned): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgR1-8mijM

Powered by Dalzell Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: will it fit - help with stack and reach and Shiv [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't yet figured out how to compare stack and reach very well, but I'll offer up my experience with the Shiv TT.

First, this document might help you visualize things...

http://static.specialized.com/...3945_IG0333_revB.pdf

Second, I'm 6'1" and pretty proportional with a 35.25" inseam. I ride a Large Shiv TT with a Sitero saddle about 5.5cm behind the BB and my extension pretty much right at the 80cm UCI limit and I'm about as stretched as I feel I can be with my elbows a bit more than 90 degrees.

If you're going to have to abide by the UCI regs at all I would go as small as you can on this frame. It's pretty adjustable.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: will it fit - help with stack and reach and Shiv [jsiege11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, there are a couple other great threads here discussing the fit of this frame. A search should call them up.

Hopefully tetonrider will chime in as he's got got great experience with this frame as well.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: will it fit - help with stack and reach and Shiv [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the thread I was thinking of...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%20tt%20fit;#4912686
Quote Reply
Re: will it fit - help with stack and reach and Shiv [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used that doc to get the information and geometry chart I posted. Thanks, but those threads don't really help me in my questions about reach.