Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

which trainer
Quote | Reply
looking for a new trainer, i've read and read but still not sure. all have there good and bad points . which one do you like and why

tacx genius
computrainer
wahoo
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [goldie lox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a tough question because I don't think you'll find too many people who have been able to spend much time on all 3 (or others). Most folks will own one of these, it might be the only one they've ridden, and justify why they chose that one - you'll get very subjective responses. Off the top of my head, the only person I can think of who could give you an objective overview would be DC Rainmaker.

With that said, I think one thing that should be considered is what kind of software you might plan to use with it. Being that these are all ERG/power trainers, I'm assuming you want to use them with something like TrainerRoad, PeriPedal, Maximum Trainer, RacerMate One, or PerfProStudio. There's also the CycleOps Virtual Trainer, but you didn't list the CycleOps PowerBeam Pro here, so I figured you weren't considering that. Elite also makes some interesting-looking power trainers (http://www.elite-it.com/...ainers/real-trainers). Regardless, with the exception of RacerMate One, these various software packages can potentially support any of those trainers through ANT+, Bluetooth, or via virtual power, but you would want to double-check.

I don't know if that really helps at all.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good friend of mine has the Wahoo Kickr. It's solid but power consistently reads ~10% low for him.

My computrainer gets here Monday :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CycleOps PowerBeam Pro. Works great and uses PowerTap technology. Can be purchased in either Ant+ or Bluetooth model. I use it with Peripedal and CycleOps Virtual Training software.
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [Burnt Toast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burnt Toast wrote:
CycleOps PowerBeam Pro. Works great and uses PowerTap technology. Can be purchased in either Ant+ or Bluetooth model. I use it with Peripedal and CycleOps Virtual Training software.

X2 on the PowerBeam Pro, easy to use and set up.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Computrainer. It will last longer than you can race. Put it in your will who you are giving it to.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Computrainer. It will last longer than you can race. Put it in your will who you are giving it to.

Glad to hear it. Gonna pick one up for January. Is the software frustrating in any way? Is the PM accurate (reasonably w/consistent results)

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can the Cycle Ops be used in ERGOMETER mode? Meaning, can you "set the desired wattage" like at 200W or any other desired increment.

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can set the wattage in increments of 10; or as I do sometimes set the % slope so that I can vary wattage as you ride for intervals as well. I am not sure what head unit the new ones come with as I have had mine for a couple of years now, I have a Joule 3.0.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
computrainer hands down!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Kickr. It's easy to use, I love the feel and compatible with a ton of different training programs/software.
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Glad to hear it. Gonna pick one up for January. Is the software frustrating in any way? Is the PM accurate (reasonably w/consistent results)

What sw on anything is perfect? :o)

PM is probably the most accurate in the industry.

Sw frustrating I guess depends on how you will be using the trainer. With the CT, so many choices. I just get on and ride. I have done all the fancy stuff in the past,
and that can get frustrating. So I erg mode 3 days a wee fixed wattage, and ride a fixed martis/brockway IMLT course 3 days a week. Nothing fancy, just let it kick my butt
and I never worry about glitches.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
drm437 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What sw on anything is perfect? :o)

PM is probably the most accurate in the industry.

Sw frustrating I guess depends on how you will be using the trainer. With the CT, so many choices. I just get on and ride. I have done all the fancy stuff in the past,
and that can get frustrating. So I erg mode 3 days a wee fixed wattage, and ride a fixed martis/brockway IMLT course 3 days a week. Nothing fancy, just let it kick my butt
and I never worry about glitches.

Great! Thanks.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: which trainer [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lar Dog wrote:
Can the Cycle Ops be used in ERGOMETER mode? Meaning, can you "set the desired wattage" like at 200W or any other desired increment.

Peripedal, TrainerRoad Virtual Training software etc. can adjust the resistance for you to whatever the %FTP is prescribed for the workout. You can ride in ERG mode where you just pedal along and the resistance remains constant, no shifting gears. You can also do this from a CycleOps head unit like the Joule 2.0, 3.0 and GPS.
Quote Reply