Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
which tires would you buy for MY setup
Quote | Reply
Not that youre actually buying them but....I have been reading all the 'fastest tire' threads and STILL am undecided. It seems as tire choice has too many variables for me to decide this early in my triathlon 'career?'. I have a Shiv Tri with H3 front and Stinger FR Disc on the back...both tubular. It seems the Vittoria Corsa Evos, Conti 4000s II or Conti Supersonics may be the top 3 for fastes tires. So which tires and what size. The discomfort isnt an issue and its purely for speed. Not opposed to front and rear being different.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The consensus ST view would probably be:

H3 front - you 100% need to go narrow with this wheel when at the front, so 20mm Supersonics. (I don't think GP4000s do a 20mm)

Disc rear - I'm less certain on this, but if your frame gives suitable of protection for the wheel, GP4000s 25mm for Crr and improved comfort thrown in a bonus. Little protection, GP4000s 23mm.
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [lamby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the shiv frame gives little protection however, I have pretty big calves and thighs so I probably offer more protection for the rear wheel than my bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that the Conti GP4000SII will be available in a 20mm version. From the CRR data supplied by Conti it looks like a good option too. Therefore, if you are concerned about the resilience of the supersonic, this could provide a more reliable alternative for your H3 front.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [Old Albion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conti's have butyl tubes and the Vittoria are latex (except for the Triathlon model which is butyl). Latex tubes are faster so I use the Corsa CX .

Al Morrison's tube tests are on the last page here:
http://www.biketechreview.com/...ire_testing_rev9.pdf

Btw, I think the Conti Supersonic is only a clincher and you're riding tubulars?
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, good point - I'd missed the bit about tubulars. In which case to the OP, please ignore my comments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely go conti over vittoria. I used to ride vittoria tubulars when I first switch to tubulars. It was a pretty awful experience - the basically fell apart during a race after only training on them lightly.
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured out last night that supersonics were clincher only. dang.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both the Vittoria EVO CX and the Zipp Tangente tubulars and been happy with both. I think the Vittorias are faster. The Zipps last longer. Never flatted either. I do change the rear long before necessary - usually around the 600 mile mark. About 1000 on the front.

If you're doing a full, I'd start with almost new tires - like one or two rides, just to make sure there are no defects.

Since the Contis are lacking latex tubes, I wouldn't use them as race tires. They are great tires in terms of longevity and durability, though.

Almost forgot, I've started adding a little sealant when I install a new tubular.
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [Old Albion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hope the Conti GP4000s comes in 20mm...I cant find it right now. I would like to use that in front for its Aero and Crr values then throw a Vittoria Corsa Evo on the back if I can find it wide enough 23-25mm(I think they make up to 23mm in that tire but not 25) I can use the Vittorias excellent Crr and my legs will protect any aero deficencies of that tire anyways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the tubie 4000S don't have great rolling resistance anyway.

COJO wrote:
i hope the Conti GP4000s comes in 20mm...I cant find it right now. I would like to use that in front for its Aero and Crr values then throw a Vittoria Corsa Evo on the back if I can find it wide enough 23-25mm(I think they make up to 23mm in that tire but not 25) I can use the Vittorias excellent Crr and my legs will protect any aero deficencies of that tire anyways.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Tom A has tested the Shwalbe "ironman" as the fastest tubular, not sure about durability though. Any one tried them?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah...maybe I was understanding that they have 'relatively' good Crr combined with its aeroness.....all the literature and graphs combined with the various tires do not bode well for an easy understanding with my lack of experience. Thats why I come here :)

Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an interesting tire also....isnt it fairly new to the scene?

Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a set of Vittorias last year that came with my used H3's...it was only my second year on bikes and in Tri in general....Those Vittorias did seem very fast along with the wheels....and I had no problem with comfort. But if theres something faster....i want it;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
ah...maybe I was understanding that they have 'relatively' good Crr combined with its aeroness.....all the literature and graphs combined with the various tires do not bode well for an easy understanding with my lack of experience. Thats why I come here :)

I would also not assume that the tubular GP4000s have the same aero properties as the clincher version. Tubulars tend to have more of a circular cross section and not the elliptical cross section of the clincher GP 4000s. Also, the tubular contis do not have latex tubes, so that is an even further knock.
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I throw the veloflex carbon in, comes with latex tubes.
Just tried em and felt good so far.
But never had probs with conti competition when it comes to durability.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I believe Tom A has tested the Shwalbe "ironman" as the fastest tubular, not sure about durability though. Any one tried them?

Maurice

I just glued up a pair on my race wheels, but have yet to get outside. I have a 10mi TT coming up in about a month, then a whole bunch of sprint/olympics all season long. I will be sure to report back on their performance.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to go Continental for your tubulars, then stick with Continental Competitions. Get a 20mm for the front, and 22 or 23mm for the rear.

Can't go wrong with the Vittoria CX's. I'd use a 20mm up front, 23mm on the back. The crr would certainly be higher on this tubular setup than on the Conti's, but the durability would not be as good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the clinchers do.
the crr on the tubies are not as good, and their aeroness is not really known.

COJO wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you must give a review when you get a ride on those:)

Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the rolling resistance on the competition is pretty bad. Or used to be. The sprinter was a little better but still bad.

I'm not a big fan of that old test sheet. For one, if you look a few spots below the Competition Tubular, you will see a Conti Supersonic with a latex tube. In my experience, the Supersonics are fast tires and should be higher up. But in this case, I think both the Competition and the Supersonic they tested here old forumlations before Continental had worked out the newer black chili formula.
Quote Reply
Re: which tires would you buy for MY setup [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we know the 4000S and supersonic got faster.
I don't have any idea if the competition or sprinter or any of the tubies did.

Even if they did they are all handicapped with butyl tubes.

nightfend wrote:
jackmott wrote:
the rolling resistance on the competition is pretty bad. Or used to be. The sprinter was a little better but still bad.

I'm not a big fan of that old test sheet. For one, if you look a few spots below the Competition Tubular, you will see a Conti Supersonic with a latex tube. In my experience, the Supersonics are fast tires and should be higher up. But in this case, I think both the Competition and the Supersonic they tested here old forumlations before Continental had worked out the newer black chili formula.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yep, have them mounted to my race day set of 808 fc tubulars. No issues thus far with durability. Mounted much easier than Contis and the latex tubes definitely don't hurt!

Have a set of Schwalbe Ones waiting to mount on my 303 fc tubulars for Tour de Bintan later this fall. Until then, running conti competitions 22/24s on them as they are definitely robust and good for training!
Quote Reply

Prev Next