Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

whey v. soy
Quote | Reply
If you are going to use protein supplements versus real food i've heard generally soy is better pre-training and during (in small amounts) and whey is better post workout. Does anyone take whey protein pre-training or racing, any issues? Why have I heard it's not recommended pre-training?
Quote Reply
Re: whey v. soy [forzagto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a source on that? I've never heard it. I'm pretty certain that both Accelerade and InfiniT use whey as their source of protein - I've used both products pre- and during racing and never had any problems.

Maybe because whey is dairy based, it could cause upset stomachs in some people? Is that what you've heard?

There's a general debate about whether or not protein is effective pre/during training or racing, but that's a separate issue that will fill a small corner of the internet and I'm sure there are pages and pages about it here as well. Personally, I find some protein beneficial.

http://j-tris.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: whey v. soy [Spector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know i've read it a couple places but it's also on hammer nutrition website: http://www.hammernutrition.com/...&ARTICLE.ID=1252

I use Sustained Energy for longer workouts which had soy instead of whey. The reason that I heard not to use whey pre or during workout is that it is an animal based protein which means (or so i've heard) that when the protein is broken down it promotes amonia buildup in the muscles versus vegetable based proteins which does not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm...I don't think this is true. Whey will also produce ammonia when taken in large amounts. The rumor (also may not be true) is that some protein sources take a longer time to break down into useful component parts, soy and milk protein being two of them. Whey breaks down faster supposedly and is faster to digest, but produces a higher ammonia content. I'd do a bit of research, as I am really tired right now and might have things backwards.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take whey 2-3 times daily from Maine Natural Health. At night,k I mix it with water. it's not great tasting, but I read a research recently supporting the fact that it can boost the release of HGH up to 400% each night. it has to be water , though, as the carbs and sugars from milk can mess it up.

They make pure whey as well as mixes that include glucosamine, L-Carnitine, CoEnzyme Q10, and other goodies.

Ciao,

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Re: whey v. soy [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are mixed up. I was stating the whey produces ammonia when broken down and that it is why it is not good preworkout or during workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
whey produces ammonia when broken down and that it is why it is not good preworkout or during workout.

That's not true. See Columbani et al. Int J Sport Nutr. 1999 Jun;9(2):181-201. Excreted ammonia is the same whether you supplement with protein or not.

-------------------------------------------------------
Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.
~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Re: whey v. soy [Tough TTs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have another weblink to this article, I can't access it from what you posted. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. This is the link to the abstract:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...;itool=pubmed_docsum

But if you want the entire article, you'll probably have to pull it from the library yourself.

-------------------------------------------------------
Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.
~Ignignokt
Quote Reply