Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
what's the best half in the midwest
Quote | Reply
a question for all the experienced ironmen: for my first half-ironman tri, which would be the best midwestern race to do?

"Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

God gave us beer, because he loves us and he wants us to be happy....Benjamin Franklin

Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [redrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caesar's Creek - Ohio in late July - pretty hot though. Chris Legh called it "the best 1/2 IM bike course" he has ever ridden. He is the king of 1/2 IMs as of late. Not flat, not hilly, plenty of competition, well supported. This year even had a Zebra clad USAT official all over as it was the long course Duathlon National championship with some pretty unbelievable run times for the heat.

Quote | Reply
Muncie Endurathon in Indiana (July I believe) or Pigman in Iowa (August) or Whirlpool Steelman in Michigan

I may catch some grief for this, but Spirit of Racine in WI is a notch below these races.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Spirit of Racine is not that great. It's only popular because of it's geographic proximity to Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison. I missed Racine this year and I'm going to try to go to Muncie next year.

Redrunner - where in the Midwest are you asking? Distances, as you know, can be substantial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Racine is newbie friendly. I did Racine this year for my first half. I found the bike course easy because it is flat, but the swim was difficult due to the waves in Lake Michigan. I'm in for next year all things considered.

I didn't like the check-in process but other than that all in all a good race for a first timer.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [bbieberitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I chose SoR over Muncie Endurathon and Effingham Cutting Edge 1/2, b/c it was simply a closer race.

Any comments on whether Muncie or Effingham are "that much" better than SoR, that they'd be worth the extra drive?

I will be heading back to WI in Sept for the Revenge match v. Lake Geneva.

Here the 1/2 calender I entice myself with every few weeks.

http://www.trifind.net/iron/half-05.html

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Sep 20, 05 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the Pigman in Iowa 3 times, and loved it everytime. Decent course, well run, good competition. Don't know what more you could ask for (well, except that Iowa thing....)
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

OUt of my own interest (and future reference), here are the Midwest 1/2 IM's. Not a bad checklist for the next 2-3 years, huh?

Sunday, May 29, 2005 ::: Portsmouth, Ohio: Little Smokies Half Iron Triathlon

Sunday June 5, 2005 ::: Innsbrook, Missouri: Halfmax Triathlon

Sunday, June 12, 2005 ::: Sylvania, Ohio: Sylvania Half Iron Triathlon

Saturday, July 16, 2005 ::: Muncie, Indiana: 26th annual Muncie Endurathon

Sunday, July 17, 2005 ::: Effingham, IL: Cutting Edge 1/2 Iron Distance

Sunday, July 24, 2005 ::: Racine, Wiscinsin: The Spirit of Racine Triathlon

Sunday July 24, 2005 ::: Zaleski, OH: The Hope Furnace Adventure Triathlon

Saturday, August 6, 2005 ::: Benton Harbor / St Joseph, Michigan: Whirlpool Steelhead Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Sunday August 7, 2005 :: Kansas City, Kansas: Hotter Than Hell Half Iron Distance and Speedway Sprint Triathlon

Sunday August 7, 2005 ::: Delaware, Ohio: Fat Rabbit Racing One-Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Sunday August 14, 2005 ::: Mentor, Ohio: Greater Cleveland Triathlon

Sunday August 14, 2005 ::: Lansing, Michigan: Lansing Legislator

Saturday August 20, 2005 ::: Arkadelphia Arkansas: CATS Half Iron Distance Triathlon - 2005 USAT National Long Course Championship

Sunday, August 21, 2005 Palo, Iowa: Pigman Half Ironman Distance Triathlon

Saturday, September 10, 2005 Stillwater, Minnesota: Square Lake Half Ironman Distance Triathlon

Saturday, September 10, 2005 ::: Fontana, Wisconsin: Lake Geneva Triathlons

Saturday, September 24, 2005 ::: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: Redman Triathlon

Sunday, September 25, 2005 ::: Kansas City, Missouri: US Half Championship

Sunday, September 25, 2005 ::: Lenoir City, Tennessee: Atomic Man Triathlon

I did not count TX or CO as "Midwest".

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Sep 20, 05 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for Steelhead.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Effingham and HalfMax.

HalfMax: The venue is very nice, a resort outside of St. Louis. The clean lake for the swim can't be beat. The bike course was just okay. The portion inside the resort had pretty shitty pavement, and the course was only 51.5 miles long. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when you advertise 56 miles, you should have 56 miles. The run course is hard. Very hilly, mostly on trails. I believe Andrea Fisher called is the hardest 1/2 run she has done. Organization and set-up were top-notch.

Effingham: I have to admit that I'm a little biased because I won the race this year. So I liked that part of it! But really there is no reason to travel very far for this race. I did it because it's an hour from home, the closest race I've ever done. The lake is pretty murky, and the bike and run are flat and shade-free. The past two years have been a suffer fest of high temps and humidity. It's a well run, no-frills race. Totally worth the money in my mind, but I wouldn't drive more than a few hours for it.

I hope this helps,
-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be biased, but the Steelhead is the best race in the Midwest. The main reason is the community support for the race. The course is great and the beach is the best in the US.

Another reason is the very good singer that does the National Anthem to start the race. That guy can sing. Z
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I might be biased, but the Steelhead is the best race in the Midwest. The main reason is the community support for the race. The course is great and the beach is the best in the US.

Another reason is the very good singer that does the National Anthem to start the race. That guy can sing. Z[/reply]

I think I heard that same guy singing at the IMWIS award banquet. He MUST be a professional!!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF - He sang at IM Moo awards after announcing for 19 hours on Saturday! His voice was shot!

By the way - thanks for the compliment. I found out I was singing about 10 min. before I got on stage. The "real" singer did not show so I'm always the back-up singer. Sorta like the "wedding singer" flick. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely think STEELHEAD is the BEST! Where else in the Midwest can you go where registration and the expo are on a beautiful sand beach, and the finish line puts you right back at that beautiful beach for a refreshing post race swim and some yummy Pizza Hut pizza. Lets also not forget that it is a qualifier for the 70.3 championship and whether you believe in it or not, I think in a few years it will be something many are trying to qualify for.

:-)Christine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny how you have 4 HFP Racing events, but not their "signature" one (Great Buckeye Challenge).

I also like the Little Smokies 1/2, but it is very early and VERY hard. Not even the winner average over 20 mph (2 loop course with about 2,500 ft of climbing per loop) and a very hilly, rocky fire road run. At least the swim is flat :) Basically Triathlon at its roots - which is good because there is absolutely nothing to do around there. I honestly thought I saw a Bear (!) on the bike course. Also, you couldn't draft even if you tried...

Re: what's the best half in the midwest [CAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Christine! And do not foget about the great swim course at Steelhead - one way with the current - not many races allow you an extra push the entire 1.2 miles.

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halfmax is an incredible race. It is a hard course, but a fun challenge in a great venue. It attracts quality competition. The organizers do a great job of making the whole weekend into a fun event, moreso than most races I've seen.
If you're on the ball, I think you can rent a condo overlooking the swim course and transition area, which would make for a great out-of-town race experience.
It is worth serious consideration.
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how you have 4 HFP Racing events, but not their "signature" one (Great Buckeye Challenge).

Whoops. When is it? Is it listed on the trifind site? How the heck did I miss it?

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Muncie Endurathon in Indiana (July I believe) or Pigman in Iowa (August) or Whirlpool Steelman in Michigan

I may catch some grief for this, but Spirit of Racine in WI is a notch below these races.[/reply]

-------
I agree. Ive done them all except Steelhead, but heard it was a great race. Racine is good, but I prefer the others.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that just might have been a bear...or one of the critters the locals use for dogs. i saw a couple four legged items alongside the road that i couldn't make up my mind what they were. i didn't mention to anyone else at the time since they were pretty big, pretty furry, and probably could have taken me down for a snack.

Little Smokies is an awesome event that taxed everything i had and there was little left over. i plan to go back next year now the knee is back together.

Lansing Legislator is another great 1/2 and worth the trip to mid-Michigan.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha - that is funny. I especially liked the beer party on the bike course with little kids, rednecks on quads, etc. I mean it was Sunday morning and they were pounding beer already (and I swear I saw a 10 year old with a can). They must have enjoyed seeing us zip by in all our spandex glory and painful faces :)

triplethreat: check out www.hfpracing.com for their events. Great Buckeye is usually in late July

Quote | Reply
Correction: Great Buckeye is in August, usually around the 3rd weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude...Tennesse, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas are SO not in the midwest. I mean, we have a rough enough time with Kansas.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

Well, for this exercise, "Midwest" to me translates to "a place that I could drive to in a reasonable amount of time" ... In other words, how long a hyperactive adult can sit in a car. =)

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: what's the best half in the midwest [mcombs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oops, sorry Matt - you are right. Later in August for maximum heat exposure ;(

Prev Next