Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

uh-oh, the kenyans are coming....
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh, the kenyans are coming.... [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like a promising development. My gut feel is that far more swimmers and runners graduate high school and college than footballers and basketballers.

Although, I still take issue as to why the U.S. will take in/adopt anyone worldwide for collegiate athletic programs. I understand the concept that coaches and programs are under pressure to produce winners, but why can't all that financial aid and scholarship assistance go to U.S. citizens as it is paid for by U.S. citizens?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh, the kenyans are coming.... [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not all financial aid and scholarship money is paid for by US citizens.
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh, the kenyans are coming.... [IM2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Expound please. Are you talking about alumni donations/gifts from former (non U.S.) graduates?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of different sources for scholarships etc. Yes, some come from US citizens, but as you mentioned, some come from alumni that may not be US citizens, some come from grants or endowments. Some of those grants are government funded, but a lot are not. If the individual or organization does not like what the university is doing with the money, they will let the university know that by not providing such funds in the future (and universities are well aware of this).

Financial aid/grants may come from tax dollars, but not everyone paying US/state income tax is a US citizen.

I'm not commenting on what's right or wrong in the system...this isn't the right forum for that.

I'm simply saying that not all scholarship and financial aid money comes from US citizens. That's all. Nothing more.
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh, the kenyans are coming.... [IM2B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm simply saying that not all scholarship and financial aid money comes from US citizens. That's all. Nothing more.

It's all cool, I'm just curious.

but as you mentioned, some come from alumni that may not be US citizens, some come from grants or endowments. Some of those grants are government funded, but a lot are not.

Do you know of any specific governments or non-government related groups (NGOs?)?

Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh, the kenyans are coming.... [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old article. Black swimmers Martiza Correia and Melia Metella won medals in Athens, and Anthony Ervin had a couple good years.

Keep an eye out for a guy named Cullen Jones among current black swimmers. He got recruited in high school because an NC State coach saw potential in a very green kid, and that coach had a very good eye. He won the 50 free at NCAAs, and picked up a silver at SC Worlds this year as a college senior, and seems to be just as good long course. In another year or two, he could mature into something special.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The alumni want to see wins and national championships. I'd bet most of the donors at Auburn see good value in recruiting foreign athletes since people like Fred Bousquet and Kirsty Coventry have played such huge roles at the NCAA championships.

General feeling among the swimming community is that you get to be the best by training with the best and racing the best on a regular basis, and that foreign nationals at NCAAs make the Americans a better team for the Olympics and Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"far more swimmers and runners graduate high school and college than footballers and basketballers"

I realize that this is a worse case scenario, but I had a friend that got accepted to a big US state college on a football scholarship quite a few years ago. On his first day the coach told him "Here are your courses. These won't interfere with football."

He was a smart guy as well as a football jock and looked at the situation that only 2% of college football players make it to the NFL with the average career being four years. Switched schools the next year, played on a small time college football team and graduated with a business degree. He realized that most guys at the first college left with four years playing football and not much else.

He told me the football guys were genuises compared to the basketball guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At private universities none of the scholarship money is coming from U.S. taxpayers as they are not subsidized by the government. I realize this is only a portion of all division one schools though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't know of any sports related ones off the top of my head, but a quick search on google of non-profits that provide athletic scholarships produced a list of websites one of which is:

http://www.lib.msu.edu/.../grants/3athlete.htm

And I'm not sure but most of the athletic scholarships are not from tax money, but from revenues generated by the athletic department at the university...hence Title 9, since women's sports didn't/don't make a ton of money...little money was given to female athletes.
Quote Reply