Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubes
Quote | Reply
heading to Europe to do some big climbs this summer. I've made my bike as light and fast as possible. I got a flat today and started thinking about what to order for my clincher. I really don't want to flat..but also don't want to give away watts if I can help it. any advice? butyl vs latex and if butyl lightweight vs standard tubes..
Quote Reply
Re: tubes [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
heading to Europe to do some big climbs this summer. I've made my bike as light and fast as possible. I got a flat today and started thinking about what to order for my clincher. I really don't want to flat..but also don't want to give away watts if I can help it. any advice? butyl vs latex and if butyl lightweight vs standard tubes..

My vote would be to run latex for the nicer ride quality, greater speed out of your watts plus resistance to impact flats. Bring butyl for spares as they're a bit quicker to install if you do get a flat.

Have fun. I'm envious.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latex, with sealant.
Butyl spare.
Quote Reply
Re: tubes [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are butyl easier to install??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fxjeffrey wrote:
Why are butyl easier to install??

Latex are tackier by nature especially if not coated with talc or if it's very humid. They are also so stretchy it's easier to accidentally catch one under the bead, have it stick there and then explode out beyond the bead in a very scary fashion.
As long as you take your time they're not a problem but rushing is a recipe for disaster.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jun 7, 17 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, latex and CO2 don't play well together. The latex is too porous and will go flat quickly.
Quote Reply