Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

triathlons in So Cal.
Quote | Reply
i am looking to get into some triathlons and was wondering if their are any coming up soon near Palmdale CA or if you dont no where that is the Santa Clarita Valencia area i can run and swim no prob just started biking but im looking for one coming up soon. also what are some good drills or training techniques for biking
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [mdreisen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The LA Tri series is coming up in April, May and June in Bonelli Park, which is near Raging Waters, just south of Pomona. It would be a little over an hour away. Monty helped design the course and it used to have quite an elite field in the old days. It's a fun venue. Each race is longer and the last is an OLY.

I've wondered why they don't have one at that lake near Valencia, whose name is escaping me.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is an Xterra event at Castaic lake, about 10 minutes north of Valencia. Years ago, they used to have a tri series with 3-4 events per year, but I think that is long since gone. It's too bad, those were great races, especially when they changed the bike course to go straight up from the lower lake to the upper lake and beyond. Nothing like coming back down the hill at 55mph in a speedo, bike shoes and sunglasses to get your adrenaline going!

From Valencia, you can also get to the Oxnard and Ventura triathlons within an 45 min to an hour (head west on 126). Oxnard is later this month (sprint) and Ventura is late June (sprint and Oly?).

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...perhaps you should email the founder of this site. Just another reason to find a way to put on a great race up in the Lancaster - Palmdale - Visalia area :-)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the Tri-Hard series at Castaic Lake
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there was another series even before that. I seem to remember it was sponsored by a local running store between 85-89? Gave out these funky colored shirts with swimmer, biker and runner in a triangle. I think I did 8-10 of those races because they really were fun. The original course went out the Old Road and up Hasley canyon before a tour of an office complex. The revised course, maybe in 88ish, went up, up, up. Up the road to the upper lake, then on toward Lake Hughes. I remember loving that course, as back then (as opposed to now) I could really climb and the downhills were fast, but not technical. It was like someone asked me what kind of bike course I wanted. The races were pretty casual, too. Parking was very close to transition/finish and lots of grass areas for friends/family to hang out. Bonelli Park races were pretty fun, too, but haven't been out there in 17 years or so.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
strawberry fields triathlon is next weekend, then there is ralphs a few weeks after.
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [english muffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph's is no longer Ralph's, it's Ironman 70.3 and is sold out, so don't try to register.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol...i got one of the spots ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to trievents.com They have several local races, and some coming up in april....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i actually think that their is going to be a triathlon in palmdale soon because the founder of this site and my supervisor are trying to get one going
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are you?

Since you are a first time poster I am informing you that this kind of posts are sorta frowned upon.
First posing a "fake" question and make others scramble, and then spreading some sort of rumor.

Since you said there is going to be a Triathlon in Palmdale:

What distance?
What date?
Who is the RD?
Slowman really involved in this?
Slowman?

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Mar 14, 07 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume innocence. How do you know this poster isn't just looking for one, since the potential new one is only that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to TriFind.com!!!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a Sr. Lifeguard at the city of palmdale and i dont no all the info really just my supervisor was talking getting one started up here some time soon i dont no the bike and run distance but the swim will be a 500 swim in Marrie Kerr pool he has the entire course planned out though i just dont no it and one of the guys who comes in to our pool for lap swim who is a retired pro triathlete and has a triathlon training camp told me that this was his site that he started. i dont no if this is this Slow man you speak of but that is what i no
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Bicycle John's in Acton has some group rides on the weekends, I'm sure others do, too. I think they have some easier groups, if that's what you need.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Slowman really involved in this? Slowman?"

i'm not involved in it, but i would be to some greater or lesser degree if there is a race and if i'm asked. monty talked a bit to the aquatics director, and the acton location of bicycle johns would probably be involved.

i think the most logical choice would be to have littlerock reservoir be the venue. there's a nice 15-mile, quite challenging, bike course proximate to the lake, and the road could be totally closed to traffic (which is rare, and that's always nice to have).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the retired pro that you are talking about, and most people here on the site know me. It's not my site, but I do ocasionally write for it, and it's my neighbor Dan's site. We've talked about a race in Palmdale, but so far nothing on the calendar. We'll keep working on it, this area needs it's own race......And you blew my cover of secret training, I've been telling everyone that my pol is too cold, and I'm waiting for the summer warmup...(-;

Monty
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry i was just saying what i no and joe goss is pretty ready to get the event going and i didnt mean to blow ur cover i wouldnt have said anything if i knew my bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theres a race in san luis obispo on the 31st of march.. sprint and olympic.. only a couple hours away.. http://www.calpolytriathlon.com for details..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might not be technically called Ralph's anymore, but people still refer to as such....esp. people that have raced it many years when it was Ralph's. Even at my tri club meeting we called it Ralph's last week!
Quote Reply
Re: triathlons in So Cal. [unclegimpy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved to Santa Clarita in 2000 and have been back in tri for 3 years.

For a city that hosted two stages of ATOC, has a marathon and numerous other events including the Pontius Memorial Criterium, I would love to see a triathlon in our neck of the woods.

Castaic obviously is right there and host to Xterra. I know nothing about the subject but if anyone pointed me in the right direction I could put my nose to the grindstone and work for a Valencia or Santa Clarita Valley tri.

On my street alone 4 women are doing Danskin. For 3 it's their first tri. The audience is listening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saturday, August 9th is the 26th Annual Castaic Lake Sprint Triathlon at Castaic Aquatic Center
Event Flyer and Website: http://www.canyonhighcowboys.com/...4TriathlonFlyer.html
Quote Reply