Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tri cycling shoes recommendations needed
Quote | Reply
What tri cycling shoes do you wear/recommend? Any special recommendations for women? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [TriMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have normal to narrow feet check out the sidi T-2, i love them, have also heard good things about specalized tri shoes, never owned a pair but do have good thigns to say about their road shoes.

Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear Sidi road shoes, so I was definately considering Sidi. I've never tried, Specialized, but Peter Reid is supposed to have given them some input, so maybe they have something good. Lake and Pearl Izumi are others I've looked at, as well as Louis Garneau and Carnac. Unfortunately, I don't have a place I can to to try them on, so it's kind of a blind stab, order and try situation. That's why I'm interested in what is working for other people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This are lovely and are a great fit. Good price too.

'In the pursuit of excellence comes pauses - I'm currently in one of those pauses'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your road shoes work for you I would get tri shoes from the same brand..assuming that they use the same sole and last the fit should be the same and they won't feel weird in the race. You may need to go for a slightly smaller size if you intend to race sockless but wear socks in the road shoes, I wear the same size with or without socks with no problems as, with shimano at least, the tri shoe is a bit cushier on the inside.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok,

out of all of the shoes i tried on ( think specalized, carnac, LG and nike, sidi) i liked the sidi's the least the first time, but after riding in them for about an hour i fell in love with them. for me they were much easier on/off than the others and slide on like a glove.

for what its worth i thought the LG and specalized were the most comfortable, but that little bit of diff vs the ease of getting in and out of them was enough for me, and i happened to have a friend getting rid of a pair, so that sealed it for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for giving your reasons for choosing one brand over another!

I'll have to check out Shimano now, too.
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [BigronUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Shimanos must not be tri specific, since the strap pulls in road-direction, is that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low volume, narrow foot: Diadora Ironman, Sidi T2.

Moderate volume foot, medium width: Shimano TR30 or 50. The TR30 is an excellent value at about $99 retail.

Higher arch, larger foot volume: Louis Garneau Tri Carbon, Louis Garneau Tri Air.

Each of these shoes has a proven track record with us for good durability, repeatable fit, good sole quality (including seldomly stripped mounting hardware) and reasonable value.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shimanos must not be tri specific, since the strap pulls in road-direction, is that right?

Wrong, for the tri shoes anyway :) I think carnac was the brand that liked to pull that stupid trick the most.

Edit: I'm at work and can't see the pic in the post referenced so not 100% clear what caused the comment about the strap. All the recent Shimano tri shoes have the strap the correct way round for tri.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Last edited by: Lazy Ben: Mar 16, 07 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its funny, i have really wide feet at the front, but narrow heel, and after playing hockey for so long and using tight skates (for me usely 2-3 sizes smaller than my shoes) i am actually very comfortable in the T-2s

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Trivent have worked well for me. Very easy to get in and out. Strap on the OUTSIDE makes it very straightforward and the cooling/venting of them is unsurpassed in my experience. $175 is a little pricey for some people though.

Quote | Reply
Shimanos pull the right way - with the velcro hanging away from the bike when they're undone. I have the even more reasonably proced plastic sole version and really like them.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Specialized Peter Reid shoes. They fit great, very stiff, and has very good ventilation. However the rubber pieces on the heel and toe area suck @ss! Instead of wearing down gradually they crumbled like cheese. Chunks started falling out. I've been using globs of Shoe Goo to prevent more damage. Also, the velcro straps are starting to suck as well, it's not holding as strong but I guess all velcro will eventually end up this way.

I just ordered the new Adidas carbon tri shoe. Hopefully they fit good.

Laurente
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just got a pair of the specialized tri vents myself by far my favorite shoes i have ever owned!
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [BigronUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]This are lovely and are a great fit. Good price too.

[img]http://i18.tinypic.com/47x4310.jpg[/img][/reply]

I have these and I love them. I have normal width feet, but find that in racing they swell a bit. I also can't have anything tight on my metatarsal.

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i second (or thrid) the specialized tri-vents...but damn they're cold in winter!!

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [jeanneroth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Shimano TR 30's as well. I have a EEE foot and use 4E running shoes from
Asics. If you have a wide foot, they definitely are a good choice. For a one strap design,
they fit well. They also have a nice lining if you choose to ride barefoot after T1. One
thing I would recommend with any shoe you purchase is look at replacing the stock insole
with a custom orthotic or high quality insert. Especially if you are doing longer rides. I use
the inserts from Sole Custom Footbeds on both my running and bike shoes. They are heat
moldable. You just pop them in the oven for a few minutes until the "Turkey Is Done"
indicator changes color, put them in your shoes, step in, and in just a few minutes you have
some fantastic custom footbeds that are much cheaper than orthotics.

I use the thinner Karnazes model for my bike shoes
http://www2.yoursole.com/...nature/karnazes.html

I use the heavier and thicker Viesturs model for my running shoes
http://www2.yoursole.com/...nature/viesturs.html

My feet have never been so happy.

Last edited by: tbro: Mar 16, 07 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Invest in booties to cover those shoes OR my new favorite from Northwave: http://www.bicycling.com/article/1,6610,s1-1-7-15363-1-P,00.html

so worth it since i live in NY. I can wear these from October to May!

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I see 1 for Sidi, 4 for Shimano, and 3 for Specialized, for what its worth. Each foot picks its own shoe, I know, but it is useful to see what is working for people, and why.

I have Sidi winter shoes, but the heel is not narrow enough and it slips and causes pain on my heel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used SIDI T-1's for a few years and i liked them a lot but they are now on standby.

i switched to Specialized Trivents last season and like them even more. they have some "wedges" or bumps or whatever built into the footplate which kind of help keep things spread out a bit. it is a seemingly perfect match for my very narrow size 12's. nice airflow with the vents in the soles. and they are plenty comfortable without socks. the women's model has a berry/lavender highlight instead of red for the men's. other than that and the sizing...i don't think there is much difference. the women's version is sized down to Euro 36 or US 6.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Higher arch, larger foot volume: Louis Garneau Tri Carbon, Louis Garneau Tri Air.[/quote]
Tom,
what about the really large foot volume shoes? I tried the new Addidas and Sidi's could not get the straps closed or had less than 3mm of strap on the velcro. Can't get my feet into Specialized or Shimano shoes. I would like two straps, carbon sole. So far the only shoes that work well have been Carnac's but they have one strap and are hard to get into with an insert and Northwaves but they discontinued the model I liked.

Help a big footed brother out and give me some 2 straped ideas please.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Floppy - have you tried a wide Sidi? I also tried on a wide Shimano which fit me nicely. no chance with regular shimanos. I have pretty wide feet myself.[/quote] Tom,
what about the really large foot volume shoes? I tried the new Addidas and Sidi's could not get the straps closed or had less than 3mm of strap on the velcro. Can't get my feet into Specialized or Shimano shoes. I would like two straps, carbon sole. So far the only shoes that work well have been Carnac's but they have one strap and are hard to get into with an insert and Northwaves but they discontinued the model I liked.

Help a big footed brother out and give me some 2 straped ideas please.[/reply]

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr Floppy to you. It looks like I'll have to hit up my contact at trisports.com and ask for the big boy sizes.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: tri cycling shoes recommendations needed [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah. took me a few shops to find the Mr. Floppy size. But they're oh so good.
Try the Shimano road shoe... two straps, black and silver, fit me well. FWIW, the carbon sole is slippery as hell.

In Reply To:
Mr Floppy to you. It looks like I'll have to hit up my contact at trisports.com and ask for the big boy sizes.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply