Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tri bike availability
Quote | Reply
i stopped by a lbs yesterday and had an interesting conversation with the shop employee. i'm in the market for a ~$3500 tri bike which will most likely be somewhere between a 54-56 (M or L). problem is i will not have the cash saved up for a few months.

in talking with the employee, he assured me the availability / selection for a tri bike by MAR or APR will be next next to nothing, and that if i didn't buy soon, i'd probably not get what i'm looking for.

i realize he's a salesman trying to sell me a bike, but i also have talked with a few shop owners and know supply is limited. further, i saw this first hand - i tried to employee purchase a Plamsa through a local ski / low end bike shop i help out at and was told by Scott they were already sold out of 2011 models for the entire year. (both the 10 and 20 in all sizes)

any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike availability [317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, before you spend your money, make sure you are getting the right bike for you. Get fitted and know your measurements so you aren't simply sold something off the floor. And get the best bike for you instead of the best deal. I don't agree with this salesman's availability opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the brand. It is quite common with Scott, Felt, Giant

Not so much with Orbea, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ToKnowMore is correct about everything he says except the last statement.

Over the last four years bike distributors and brands in the U.S. had to crawl out from under a glut of rapidly devaluing inventory. Some is still in the pipeline at discount prices.

Every bike manufacturer is being cautious with orders of 2011's, especially in the price categories above $2500. They learned their lesson. As the sales of $2500+ bikes have grown and the number of dealers have grown the only way to maintain pricing has been to tighten supply. They have done that. It means the better dealers with strong credit histories and the ability to check through bikes at full margin get first crack. When they're gone, they're gone.

It is a measureable statistic that triathlon bikes above $2500 at retail are being ordered in more cautious quantities. The product managers and sales managers won't share their numbers here, but the outcome of the selling season in late June, early July will verify it. Now, that said, we'll see some early releases of 2012's provided we get sell through of 2011's.

Additionally, we're already seeing price increases from big brands. They are blaming it on everything from pirates to Korea to currency fluctuation. Regardless of the "reason" it is real- the prices have been adjusted upward. In the time it took me to review a bike recently it's MSRP went up $100. We still haven't received the first shipment.

Inflation, recovery, marketing, pirates, China, Korea- whatever the "reason" the more cautious orders are real. The throttles are being pulled back on supply.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike availability [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is sort of odd considering what happened last year, most notably with Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: tri bike availability [ToKnowMore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First of all, before you spend your money, make sure you are getting the right bike for you.

for sure. i just wanted to make sure i'd have options in a few months.

thanks for the insight everyone.
Quote Reply