Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
transgender triathlete
Quote | Reply
I was browsing the web for triathlon stuff and I stumbled upon this.

Jaimie Faces Questions from Triathlon Over Competing As a Woman
http://www.discoverylife.com/...triathlon-questions/

Very interesting. I hope she gets to complete. I want to see the rest of the show but I don't have cable.
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [snooblit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In cyclocross Molly Cameron competes with the men.
Precedent?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Precedent?

Yeah that. If the glove fits, uh, well... I'm not trying to sound uptight as I realize it's a tough call for everyone when someone doesn't fit neatly into one of our 2 pre-conceived boxes and I'm cool with how she (or anyone else) chooses to self-identify, but still I think it's safe to say 10 out of 10 strangers would call this rider a dude from a competitive standpoint:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no crying in triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also from the "clearly smuggling grapes" standpoint.

If I recall correctly from a related thread a few months back, rules were pretty clear that equipment is what matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's almost like the logo on the left quad (right side of the photo) is trying to draw attention to a certain member of the racing team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
snooblit wrote:
I was browsing the web for triathlon stuff and I stumbled upon this.

Jaimie Faces Questions from Triathlon Over Competing As a Woman
http://www.discoverylife.com/...triathlon-questions/

Very interesting. I hope she gets to complete. I want to see the rest of the show but I don't have cable.

Nobody has the "right" to compete in triathlon.

Would you be ok if a woman takes testosterone and competes? How about someone who's taken T from the time she was 13 years old until she was in her mid to late 20s, and then decided to do tris?
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [NedRise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The hormonal aspect has got to be the hardest part to legislate/ enforce. What's fair? Letting someone use T to reach low-normal, "average", high-normal, whatever their doctor says is " healthy" for them?

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with a mail to female trans athlete is that what you have is someone who went through puberty with male hormones. That body grows differently (stronger, faster, higher bone density, etc.) than someone born female. It is essentially the same thing (similar) as a female teen that has been doped to the gills for 10 years wanting to compete.

One can be as PC as you want but you can't escape the fact that men and women are physically different and men have an athletic advantage in almost every way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NedRise wrote:
The issue with a mail to female trans athlete is that what you have is someone who went through puberty with male hormones. That body grows differently (stronger, faster, higher bone density, etc.) than someone born female. It is essentially the same thing (similar) as a female teen that has been doped to the gills for 10 years wanting to compete.

One can be as PC as you want but you can't escape the fact that men and women are physically different and men have an athletic advantage in almost every way.

Is that medically and scientifically based? Can you provide some peer-reviewed support for that?
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, never mind. Men and women are physically the same.

Why even have male and female athletes compete separately? Just have all genders compete together. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a list of various governing bodies and their approach to transgendered athletes:

http://www.transathlete.com/...y-organization/c1vyj

IOC requires sexual reassignment surgury, hormone treatment for at least two years after surgury (and I believe hormone levels within a certain range for athletes transitioning from male to female, legal recognition of their transitioned sex. In addition, transgendered athletes are still subject to the WADA code and may need a TUE for the use of certain substances, like testosterone. I'm not aware of any cases where a TUE has been granted to a transgendered athlete for the use of T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other words, all that about going through puberty being essentially the same as doping up for 10 years is something you just made up.

Note I didn't say men and women are physically the same..

Sounds like you just bitter after having been chicked at your last race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should we get Nova on the line? She may be able to offer insight

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:
Precedent?

Yeah that. If the glove fits, uh, well... I'm not trying to sound uptight as I realize it's a tough call for everyone when someone doesn't fit neatly into one of our 2 pre-conceived boxes and I'm cool with how she (or anyone else) chooses to self-identify, but still I think it's safe to say 10 out of 10 strangers would call this rider a dude from a competitive standpoint:

I self-identify in the 90-95 age group and I'd like to KQ on that basis.
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
The hormonal aspect has got to be the hardest part to legislate/ enforce. What's fair? Letting someone use T to reach low-normal, "average", high-normal, whatever their doctor says is " healthy" for them?

WADA code is what's fair re use of T. It's a red herring here, as to my knowledge, no transgendered athlete has ever received a TUE for the use of testosterone.

It seems like most of the concerns about competitive fairness are with the male-to-female transition. Have there been any elite level female-to-male transgendered athletes? IOC rules required hormone therapy for two years to bring within an acceptable range. I suspect the use of T during that period would be counterproductive.

Edit to add from USADA: USADA will not grant TUEs for testosterone to females, including Hormone Replacement Therapies that contain
testosterone, because there are permitted therapeutic alternatives available.

Last edited by: AlanShearer: Apr 15, 15 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you go through puberty as a man I think it puts you on a uneven playing field when competing against woman. Because of that I think you should compete in the gender class that you were born in, or do amateur events where no one will know you've had a sex change.
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
Also from the "clearly smuggling grapes" standpoint.

Yeah, hard not to notice that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beauty pageants that are all atheistic sure let the transgender compete as it's visual.
Physical Athletics changes that and it should be based on biology at time of birth.

Emotions aside, there is and has been since the inception of athletics a division between male and female athletes. Sure let's reevaluate to ensure we're being fair with our ever changing landscape with things like transgender debates. Ultimately though, if that transgender became the top female competitor they would always be over shadowed by the fact they were born a man. It would just cause more issues than adhering to the biological birth designation. I understand it's not what members of the transgender group may want to hear but it is an edge case and not the norm so ongoing dialogue on both sides is required.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If someone has legally transitioned (which involves, yes, testosterone ….as well as many other requirements), then HE has the "right" to do anything that any other male has the "right" to do. If he began taking T at 13 and, again, has legally transitioned, then decided to do tris', he is as fairly in the male category as any other male.

That said, if a woman competing as a woman is found to have used T and has remained female legally,, then SHE should be subject to ped sanctions.
Quote Reply
Re: transgender triathlete [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I'm talking about about someone who was a man, has gone through puberty as male, trained as a man with male levels of testosterone (natural) who then chops off certain body parts and now wants to compete against women. That's an unfair advantage.

The solution is either, if you were born male you don't get to compete against women or we just stop differentiating in athletics altogether (The best 100 pro triathletes go to Kona regardless of gender, the best 20 AG 40-44 finishers go to Kona regardless of gender).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I'm talking about about someone who was a man, has gone through puberty as male, trained as a man with male levels of testosterone (natural) who then chops off certain body parts and now wants to compete against women. That's an unfair advantage.

No, it's not as simple as just chopping off body parts.

The solution is either, if you were born male you don't get to compete against women or we just stop differentiating in athletics altogether (The best 100 pro triathletes go to Kona regardless of gender, the best 20 AG 40-44 finishers go to Kona regardless of gender).

Or the solution is the one that the IOC, USATF, and other governing bodies have come to. I suspect that in some sports the carry-over advantage, if any, may be greater than in others;.But I'd also like to see a science based analysis instead as a simple reference to someone's fourth grade understanding of anatomy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys...

I found a way to qualify for Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NedRise wrote:
The best 100 pro triathletes go to Kona regardless of gender, the best 20 AG 40-44 finishers go to Kona regardless of gender

Hah. I was trying to look at past races to verify. Many races would be 100 males. I think some races would let a few women in.
Quote Reply

Prev Next