Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
time for Cold as Hell, (updated 1/24/07 see last post
Quote | Reply
today i had a 60 minute jaunt with admill (jaunt meaning, he ran my legs off), and during the run i had ICE in my hair. burrrr! it was about 26 degrees, but it wasn't bad at all! the sun was out and was a good time.
admill said, "well, you know you're getting some good winter training in when you have ice in your hair".

that got me thinking (naturally) that we need to have a Cold as Hell ride!

is anyone interested in that, say middle of Feb? naturally with appropriate hanging out and swapping of lies afterwards...

was thinking a n-ice 30-50 mile ride (depending on how cold it really is. we might luck out and have 60 degrees). we can meet up in Loveland and hit the wood fired pizza joint afterwards.

let me know if you're interested, and what dates might work.

(Spot, Clark, KYTRI, admill, rroof, marisol, trigoneroadie, cincytri, barry, sleepy, and all other regional peeps, yes i'm talking to you :)
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 24, 07 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: time for Cold as Hell... [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
26 degrees? Shit, that sounds balmy. On Wednesday I ran for just over an hour. It was 11 degrees when I left and 8 when I got back, wind chill at 0. Right now I'm getting ready to head out and it's 16 with strong winds (chill=0). Yesterday it got up to 35 and I thought I was in a sauna.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: time for Cold as Hell... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cripes, that is cold! where do you live?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vermont. Got out of the midwest and into the northeast. Everybody is saying that it's a warm winter, and I guess so far it has been, but we've had some terribly cold days.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Hey, how could I not want to ride with one of the ST Person of the Year nominees!!

I rode today...it was pretty freakin' cold. My toes didn't warm up until I was turning back into my neighborhood! I almost bailed at the beginning because my face was freezing, but I figured it would get better, and it did.

Spot

Quote | Reply
marisol once told me, "it gets better"

i think of that all the time and find it helps me many times over!

let me know some dates for the ride. (isn't funny, the things we believe to be fun? lol...)
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 20, 07 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, but I'm bring the MTN bike :)

did 11 miles today with the "other" group and it was 21 degrees when I started at 7:30 to meet them at 8. Felt fine though as the sun was shining and no wind.

Re: time for Cold as Hell... [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11 miles, good on ya.

if you still had that gotee you might have had ice in it. lol!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I kinda' wish I had it now since it was so gray :) I'm having fun spanking a new group of runners (and I liked the "older" look it gave me) that don't know me and I don't know many of them (except Joe Brinkman - he ran up front with me today. He is an animal, seriously: grunting, rough looking form, etc. but he gets the job done somehow as his results don't lie). Cat is out of the bag now though and the groups are forming pretty quickly (which you would expect with over 100 runners at a time!)

Quote | Reply
Wednesdays run in Maine was 8 degrees with a windchill of 20 below....I never ran so fast, got in the mileage but not the time. It was wierd, first 3 miles were great....that was because the wind was at my back....the return was miserable. I was actually scared because the wind hurt my cheeks so bad. I thought I might have frostbite, so fast as fast can be ran 7:15s which I should absolutely not be doing this time of year, but it was about survival!!

Kat Donatello
2015 Betty Designs Team
RD, The Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
http://www.pumpkinmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds fun. If the high is at least around freezing and it is reasonably dry with no real bad wind, we need to do at least 50 miles. Any worse than that and we could shoot for two hours. Just make sure your hair is dry at the start. Don't think Kytri will make it but if he does come out from CO he can tear my legs off one more time for old times sake.
Last edited by: admill: Jan 20, 07 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: time for Cold as Hell... [admill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't think Dave is coming back from Colorado for a ride - although I did see him posting about needed some place to ride south of Denver 'cause all the snow with his prep for IM AZ :)

Quote | Reply
sounds good to me.

was looking at Feb, for Saturday the 10th, or Saturday the 17th...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Average high for the 10th is 41F and the 17th is 43F. I'll be in Vegas in the 17th :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alright, well we could do it Jan 27th, Feb 3, 10th.

whatever you guys want to do is good for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez what a total whimp I feel like. Did an easy 40-miler on Friday and when I left the Weather Channel said it was 51 degrees....and I double layered and still felt like I freezed my azz off!~

Gotta love South Florida!

Jerry: What you're suggesting is illegal.
Kramer: It's not illegal!
Jerry: It's against the law.
Kramer: Well, yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: time for Cold as Hell... [fleabates] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jeez what a total whimp I feel like. Did an easy 40-miler on Friday and when I left the Weather Channel said it was 51 degrees....and I double layered and still felt like I freezed my azz off!~

Gotta love South Florida!
51F, sounds brutal. :) Remember, there's no bad weather only bad clothing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't biked outside since september, but I could be coerced. We should do a 10 mile run afterwards to warm up and make it a brick! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite time to run lately has been at night. Last night was between 5 and 10 degrees, and tonight looks about the same. It's not bad as long as the wind is calm. Keeping the run per day thing going. Frozen snot seems to be the only issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
alright, well we could do it Jan 27th, Feb 3, 10th.

whatever you guys want to do is good for me!
All sound like good days to ride to me.
Last edited by: admill: Jan 20, 07 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: time for Cold as Hell... [sleepy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We should do a 10 mile run afterwards to warm up and make it a brick! ;)
Well, if we did the 27th, we'd have to do a brick cause of the Jan run challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me in for the Cold As Hell ride. Hey...y'all up for a trip to Estes?? I have committed to riding to Estes at least once every month in 2007. I made it up in January from Loveland on my mtn bike (with a bunch of roadies...painful!). The road was in great condition though. That was my sole outdoor ride in "I don't know how long." Today I lasted a full 2 hours on the trainer (a record for this year). Thank God for skate skiing : ).

Would love to get out again sometime soon. I even have a new balaclava just for the occasion : ). I would greatly appreciate a PM if this happens, as I log onto Slowtwich maybe twice a month.
Quote Reply
Re: time for Cold as Hell... [sleepy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I haven't biked outside since september, but I could be coerced. We should do a 10 mile run afterwards to warm up and make it a brick! ;)

geeze, rroof just might have to grow his gotee back for this occasion!!! you read how he likes to whup on people, and play a little psych out with that gray in his beard (although i don't really believe it fools anyone!)

let's make it in February for sure--that way folks have time to plan to get here. Diana, if you PM me your email i certainly inform you of what the plans are! it would be AWESOME to have another woman!!!
Last edited by: kittycat: Jan 20, 07 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the run challenge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a ride in 11/2004 with a dude in the Catskill Mountains of New York. Was 21 degrees most of the day and snowing. We road over 120 miles. Climbed six of the Catskill high peaks including Platte Clove Road (had to ride in the tracks left by the guy who lives on the road). Elevation gain of over 11,000 feet. Took over 10 hours and went through 4 pair of foot warmers, several balaclavas (sp). One of the best (and toughest) rides I have ever done. By the end our clothing was frozen, our Camelbaks (even with thermal lines) frozen and cloths in Camelbaks frozen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next