Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tailoring a jersey
Quote | Reply
I have a full zip club jersey by Verge which is too big on me. Locally, I don't have a tailor who would even know what a cycling jersey is let alone know how it should fit a rider. Can anyone direct me to a tailor willing to do necessary alterations?
Quote Reply
Re: tailoring a jersey [RK250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could tell you. My experience is that the material is not too receptive to additional stitching. As in, it does not hold a stitch well that was done outside the original cut. Good luck and let others know if you found someone who can do this successfully. I have a couple "flappers" that would love to see a nip/tuck

Ian Stanford
Ally's Bar. AStacher LLC
Quote Reply
Re: tailoring a jersey [istanford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with a guy who has had good luck doing it himself. His technique involves pulling the existing seems on the sides, then folding the material over itself to tighten it up. This alleviates some of the problems mentioned with the material not holding stitches. Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some jersey's altered by a family member who used to be a seamstress. The trick about the stitch is that you have to use a zig-zag type stitch that allows the seam to stretch with the lycra.

If you try to use the straight stitch, it'll just snap eventually.

Most dry-cleaning places also do seam repair, so finding someone to do the work for you is not too hard or terribly expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shouldnt be a problem for any seamstress or tailor. All they need to do is use a normal serger overlock stitch, preferably using woolly nylon thread, and take in the side seam from the sleeve down. If the jersey is way big, they can take in the shoulder seam a little and then just take in the whole side seam from sleeve to bottom hem.

Im sure any seamstress would know how to do this. it is the same as sewing any other stretchy material and making a tshirt or any other top. It should not be a problem for any alteration place.

You can also do it at home, just find someone who owns a serger/overlock or buy a cheap one, get some poly thread or woolly nylon and take in the side seam (The serger cuts as it sews, so all you need to do is guide the side seam of the bike jersey when it is turned inside out through the serger until it fits well. google 't-shirt resizing tutorial' or something like that to see how it's done)

You could try the zig-zag stich but IMO this does not work well on the side seams, which is what you primarily need to alter if the jersey is too big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tailor my own dress shirts using this method. Take about 30-40 mins per shirt, mostly pinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKhSYyi8jCg

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: tailoring a jersey [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that there isn't a more visible company/person doing cycling clothes repair and alterations. The market is definitely there if you can get some visibility to drive customers to the tailor.

I finally bought a traditional sewing machine out of frustration of repairs as well as fit of all the various pieces. I'm going to buy an overlock serger soon as well and just make things the way I want them. Given the price of cycling clothes these days, one item nearly pays for the machine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this old topic as I've recently gotten a "custom" jersery that is no where near the advertised size of medium. Un less I can swap with someone who bought in the same batch for a small my only option is tailoring.

Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket jersey tailoring since 2009?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: tailoring a jersey [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re-resurrecting an already resurrected thread, does this count as a zombie thread now? I basically have the same question as mck414, has anyone had luck with getting their jersey tailored? My sleeves/shoulders/length are great on a cycling jersey, I would just like to bring in the sides for a tighter fit. mck414, did you have any success back in 2012? I'm in the Denver area too (guessing you are too based off Runners Roost/Altitude Multi Sport)
Quote Reply