Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming allergies
Quote | Reply
I think I am allergic to chlorine as I tend to have sneezing fits after swimming. Does anybody experience this?
Quote Reply
Re: swimming allergies [FSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I think it's actually quite common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. While I don't have sneezing fits, my nose does get stuffy and my eyes itch very much (I do wear goggles). I swam competitively HS and college and don't remember it being as bad as it gets now 15-20yrs later.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search on this one - yes, it is really common!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. Eventually, as my meters increased, the problem got so bad that I almost had to stop swimming.

$2 nose plugs fixed the problem.

Clint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup-nose plug works for us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sneezing, but I itch. Depends on the pool, some are worse for me than others. Kiehl's chlorine neutralizer sloves the problem for me.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

I also sneeze whenever I go out in the sun... so I am allergic to sunlight too? And the pool? Oh no ;)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: swimming allergies [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Katy:

Where do you pick that stuff up? My oldest is developing the "itch" on her legs and thighs during team workouts.

Thanks.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: swimming allergies [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a Kiehl's store on Fillmore & Washington. Some of the dept stores carry it as well, or you can order it online.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: swimming allergies [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thanks.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a weird thing happen to me. If the water was below about 72 F, I'd start sneezing like crazy in the shower afterward. Maybe 50 sneezes in 5 minutes. I swam a lot years ago and never had the allergy problem but when I started kayaking in my 20ies and 30ies my sinuses would be completely swollen the next day to the point where I could barely talk. Nose plug fixed that and now I have to wear a nose plug in order to flip turns also. I seemed to have lost the ability to keep water from going up my nose. I've read that humming while you flip helps this but I can't seem to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't sneeze or itch but I think the chlorine affects my muscles in a way which slows me down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too. I had bad problems so started taking an anti-hystemine, worked great. Then stopped taking them and now I have no problems, unless the pool is really heavily chlorinated.

Slowtwitch Planet-X mafia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allergies to chlorine are rare. Do a search on swimmers sinusitis. That may help answer some questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get real stuffy a few hours after the swim. It's so bad I can't sleep at night. A ear/throat doc told me it's not an allergic reaction to chlorine, but a reaction to an irritant (chlorine). Anyway the solution was not a drug or septum straightening surgery, but a nose clip like synchronized swimmers wear.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply