Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
swim meet
Quote | Reply
So I joined a Masters swim group this winter, and now I seem to have entered myself in a swim meet on Saturday. It'll be my first meet in 25 years. The last one was when I was 14, I think. Is there anything I need to know?
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [sjstuart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tie your swimsuit sting tight

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bellyflops are cool

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, that one I learned I have learned the hard way, even from a push.

I am concerned about what to do after my dive knocks my goggles off, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear your goggles tight and under your swim cap. Have your eyes follow your hands into the water. You'll be fine.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that you are doing the 500 and/or mile. The first 100 will be faster than your goal pacing, but settle onto a pace and don't slow in the middle third of the race. Shoot for even splits. then close the last 100 increasing speed each 25.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am concerned about what to do after my dive knocks my goggles off, though.

Swim with them in your mouth so they mess up your breathing as well as your eyes (yes, I have managed to do this, no, it does not help speedwise...).

Don't enter too fast a time or you might end up in a heat with a bunch of people faster than you and go too fast trying to keep up and then go into the biggest oxygen debt of your life (yup, done this too).

Do enter the IM races because most people don't bother so you're much more likely to place :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [stevebs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Wear your goggles tight and under your swim cap. [/reply]

Doh! Is this the reason I should have held onto all of those free swim caps from tris? Or is a tri race swim cap at a masters meet the same style faux pas as wearing a tri top on a group ride?

Seriously, though, if I'm not going to shave and taper, is it worth buying a cap?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah. The strap will stay on if you swim capless,but I could never get the strap to stay on if I wore it over my cap.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice diving off of the blocks

Write your heats and lane assignments on your hand so you don't forget them.

Bring some food and drink.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing distance free events, make sure you've got someone to do lap cards for you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring an extra towel- one to wrap around you during the meet, another one that's still dry for the shower before you go home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a cap. Pull it down tight and over the tops of your ears. This makes you more streamlined in the water.

Go ahead and shave. You're a triathlete and a cyclist--you don't need any other excuse.

Do flip turns. Practice them if you haven't been. Only 80 year-old ladies do open turns in swim meets.

Don't false start. It's one and you're done now--not like the old days when you got a second chance.

Be sure to get a good warm-up and cool down (if lanes available).

Don't practice dives during warm-up unless there is a lane designated for that.

p.s.--there is no difference between a "tri race swim cap" and any other swim cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What events are you swimming?
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm guessing that you are doing the 500 and/or mile.
How'd you guess? It's actually the 1000 at this meet.

In Reply To:
The first 100 will be faster than your goal pacing, but settle onto a pace and don't slow in the middle third of the race. Shoot for even splits. then close the last 100 increasing speed each 25.

Excellent pacing advice. That sounds pretty much like my plan. If I can manage to catch glimpses of a pace clock, I might even have a chance of executing it.

I'm also swimming the 200 free, 200 breast, and 50 breast. And probably some relays. The 200 breast will be where I have the most problems with pacing, I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't expect a T-shirt.....
----------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do expect to have a good time, especially, if you are on a competitive team. Cheering for teammates, when you come from the individuality of triathlon, is fun.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my guess as a swimmer, but I'd say wearing your goggles under your cap at a Masters Swim Meet would qualify as a faux pas... I've never seen a 'swimmer' do this...only see this at tris. But hey, do whatever works. The end goal is to be able to see and to do well... if that means goggles under the cap, go for it. I think you'll be fine if you don't have one too...just a master's meet for fun I am guessing.
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not true. I always wore goggles under my cap (and yes, I was a swimmer, and no, I wasn't alone). Some goggle strap, head shape combos just don't work without a pair of ears to keep the straps in place.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a 69-year-old seeded ahead of me in the 200 free, so I'll be in about the same boat as Frazz.

I'm already used to getting outswum by kids. I can't make the "A" time standard for 11-12 girls...
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Do enter the IM races because most people don't bother so you're much more likely to place :)[/reply]

I considered this. But I'm not staying for both days of the meet, and the only IM race on Saturday is a 400 IM. Placing in that race would require me to survive it first.
Quote Reply
Re: swim meet [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
If you are doing distance free events, make sure you've got someone to do lap cards for you. [/reply]

I've got some teammates that can do that.

Is there any common system for getting them to let me know if I'm going over/under target pace?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
work that out with them....as far as moving it up and down, or side to side. Seriously, we're talking about a pool meet here and i can't believe no one has mentioned your streamline and kick off of each turn. You wouldn't believe how much that would help. Just focus on 3 hard kicks off the wall and good streamlined position (biceps into the side of your head) and you won't notice how much the race hurts. :)

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1- First, get there early enough to practice starts (so you can get your goggles tight enough without actually causing your head to pop).

2- Don't enter the 400 IM

3- Seed yourself slower than you think you can swim because everybody sandbags. If you enter the right time, don't be sucked into going out too fast, because (as stated earlier) all those sandbaggers will be swimming 5-10 seconds per hundred faster than their seed times and you'll be thinking you're swimming to slow.

4- Just like running a 5 or 10K, beware of the adrenalin rush. You'll undoubtedly go out too fast and suffer for it, but try to hold back and maybe it won't suck too much.

5- Enter a whole buncha sprints, they're a gas. See if you can do 50 without breathing. The most painful race of the day (outside of the 400 IM) is the 200 free, 'cuz you PR the first hundred and then you carry the piano for the next hundred.

6- If you wear contact lenses, bring spares. If you're goggles pop off in a race, just suck it up and keep swimming.

7- Do relays.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Mar 16, 07 9:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next