Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

stupid campy question
Quote | Reply
I know there is a big difference between the way Campy and Shimano shift with their road groups. What about when you switch to bar end shifters? Is there really any appreciable difference in shifting between the two?

Second question... I'm holding off on getting my new bike primarily so I can wait for the new Ultra Torque crank/bb. Without opening a whole can of campy vs shimano, any thoughts on if the Ultra Torque is really worth the extra cost/wait? Unless I get a pretty convincing argument otherwise, I want to build the bike up with Campy. Somewhat because I like the campy road group better and secondly just for the heritage and ambiance it brings. So should I keep waiting and saving for ultra torque or just go with a high end FSA set up?

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [vortmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no significant difference between Camy and Shimano if you are using bar end shifters.

As to your second question, why not go for the current Campy crankset?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask Robbie McEwen or Floyd Landis about the current campy record cranks, they seem pretty happy with them. Personally, I like the FSA cranks, the Q factor agrees with my geometry.
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was eyeing the new Campy cranks because of the lower Q factor. It's not a huge issue, but I find my fixed gear with a narrower Q factor then my shimano road bike feels more comfortable. So I guess if I can get a similar Q factor with FSA, then I could go that route. It just wouldn't be as cool as riding the new Campy

Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Half the pro peloton is on the current campy equipment. The alloy ones are the nicest looking crankset ever made.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Half the pro peloton is on the current campy equipment. The alloy ones are the nicest looking crankset ever made.

This may shock you from me...but the Mavic was the sexiest crankset ever.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shouldn't you be sleeping or drinking?

Nice job today.
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [vortmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both Campy and Shimano 10 speed bar ends. They work the same, although there is a small difference in feel.

Perhaps the more important question is what wheels you want to use them with? We bought a Cervelo P3SL for my son and couldn't get the adapter to switch our Zipp disc to Campy. We ended up swapping out the shifters and rear derailleur to use our Campy disc. If you have a big stock of wheels in either Campy or Shimano, this may be a factor.

I don't see the attraction of the new cranks for a tri bike. Tri bikes aren't about raw power so there is little advantage from the theoretical stiffness of the new BBs. Yes, they're slightly lighter but there are great deals on the old Campy stuff and the deals will probable get even better over the next few months.
Quote Reply
Re: stupid campy question [c50jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
didn't think about cassette compatability. I'm hoping to get a set of 404's or a 404 front and a disk (whatever number that works out to).

Quote Reply