Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

speedplay zero cleat trick
Quote | Reply
I have had sticky Speedplay zero cleats for a while, not bad, just not right. A year or so ago when I had the same problem I took them apart, cleaned them and they were as good as new. Yesterday I used a different approach. First I sprayed brake cleaner on the cleats. This is the stuff you spray on car brake parts to clean them up, estentially a de-greasing agent that evaporates quickly. They a couple of drops of lube and once again they are as good as new. Only took a couple of min. I don't know if speedplay recomends this but it works for me
Quote Reply
Re: speedplay zero cleat trick [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will think I am crazy but here is what I have used for years. You know how some people wax their chain? That is how I got the idea. I use the nozzle and long red straw like comes on a can of WD-40. I put it on a can of Pledge (or any furniture wax/polish). I spray it in every little hole I can find. Let it dry, what stays behind is a waxed cleat. Dirt doesn't stick and release is great. Try it.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: speedplay zero cleat trick [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem, and did the same exact thing...I wiped both the cleat and the pedal down with some lube, and they work great.

Quote | Reply
My cleats get crap in between the plates , restricting the spring clip travel. Its a pain to disassemble / getting it back in the same spot ,but great results / once every 6 months . I use the silicone spray as it picks up less grit .
Quote Reply