Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

spec'ing my new bike. Please critique.
Quote | Reply
OK, this week I made the decision to go to 700c wheels, as I can't get 650 anything on this side of the planet, which means the budget is being stretched to the point of breaking. I'm getting a titanflex, and have been talking with Tom P. about how to spec it, while using as much stuff off my current bike as possible to keep the cost down. I'd appreciate any comments on what's been decided.

Titanflex frame, powdercoated, size large as I ride at 78-79 degrees (a medium at that angle gives a short (50cm) top tube for me (5'10).

Profile BRC fork.
Cane Creek S-6 threadless headset
Ultegra BB
FSA K-Force Lite carbon seatpost
Velocity Spartacus wheels
Conti 3000 tyres

From my current bike:
Vision base bar
profile aerolite bars
tektro brake levers
105 brakes, derailliers, cassette, cranks (172.5mm)
azoto saddle
cassette is 12/23, currently front is 42/53 but will become 39/53 on the new bike.

I'd love to spend more on wheels, but can't justify it yet. Mind you, the idea of a set of zipp 404 clinchers for $800 is really, really tempting. I wonder how I could hide them from the wife. One day, I'll have race wheels to go with the new bike, possibly before IMNZ next year.

Thanks,

Justin.
Quote Reply
Re: spec'ing my new bike. Please critique. [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get 650's in Singapore , which as I see you are in Borneo.

Need assistance or contacts, feel free to PM me , will assist if I can .

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: spec'ing my new bike. Please critique. [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but even from Singapore it takes a week or two to get here, which is a pain, plus you have to get them through customs which is also a pain here. They have stupidly high duty on bike parts for some reason.

We'll be in Europe after this posting and 650's are rare there too. I figured in the long run it's just easier to go 700 and be able to pick up a tyre or rim, or even tubes from somewhere local. It'll probably work out cheaper in the long run too.

Thanks though, for such a kind offer.

Justin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd switch out the K-Force seatpost (which isn't that cheap) for something aero (like a BP, U.S.E., ect.....) It's an aero titan flex, build it aero.
and.....are you absolutely sold on the BRC fork? It's a little cheaper, but the thing is a beast in terms of weight.
Quote Reply
Re: spec'ing my new bike. Please critique. [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you elaborate a little on which seatposts you suggest (BP, U.S.E., ect.) I'm not sure which you mean from the initials. I would get the K-force for about half regular selling price with the frame.

What would be an alternative fork to the BRC. It would be about $150 with the frame, so other suggestions around that would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Justin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BP Blade seatpost: www.bpstealth.com (or bikeparts.net)

U.S.E Alien Aero Seatpost. About the lightest aero post on the market, but it'll cost ya more.

www.chucksbikes.com has an aero carbon seatpost for $60 in three different sizes.

At $150 I guess I wouldn't worry about the BRC. Profiles all carbon forks are a lot lighter, but they'll cost more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero seatposts are a waste. They do NOTHING. The K-force is fine. Certainly wouldn't spend money "upgrading" that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea , unfortunately I have an idea of what your saying. Everything I order in from the states with a value above SGD$500 gets whacked for 5% import duty on top of the usual 2-300USD$ shiipping fees.

Best of luck to you in your quest ! Am sure will see you at some races in the vicinity .

Quote Reply
Re: spec'ing my new bike. Please critique. [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5%!! We get stung for 20% on all bicycles and bike parts. Insane.

Look forward to seeing you at the races sometime.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U2 F/flyer.

Locally , I'll be doing :Port Dickson Malaysia OD this Sunday.

Powerman Johor Bahru 10/60/8 on 31/07.

Desaru HIM ..............................17/09.

Maybe Phuket or IMWA in November.

That's my local agenda !

Quote Reply