Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

sore hamstring from cycling
Quote | Reply
I was riding my bike last night and I felt a bit of discomfort on tendon on the back of my knee in the inner side. I guess it is the tendon that
attaches hamstring to the knee. Now I had made a few changes to my bike about two weeks before, I had raised my saddle for about 1.3 cm
because I was told it was too low. I had also lowered my front end by 1 and a half spacers (1cm each ?). My cleats were bolted on the neutral
position. I haven't noticed any particular rotation of my toes while walking however, I noticed that my shoe on the same leg is tilting toward the crank (using the floating motion of the pedal) while pedaling.
The other odd thing that I noticed was that my other knee (the left one) moves slightly to the side (away from the bike) in some of the pedal strokes (like 1 in every four maybe).
So what can be blamed? the saddle, the frontend, cleats or the 16Km run in the morning that felt good ?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: sore hamstring from cycling [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try first lowering your seat to where it was.
Quote Reply
Re: sore hamstring from cycling [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is a kinematic chain that links bending at the hips with rotation of the leg inward. Try this, sit on a desk or something with your knees at about a 90 degree angle and your feet dangling. Now, keeping your legs relaxed simply bend your torso forward towards your knees. It's likely that your toes will now point in somewhat.

This may or may not be related to the pain your feeling, just worth mentioning. By raising the seat and lowering the bars you've closed off your hip angle quite a bit.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply