Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes
Quote | Reply
does anyone make a seamless high quality rim tape/rim strip?

here's what im seeing. ....carbon clinchers from zipp...a few different ones. we run with latex tubes for Crr. we've seen a few punctures in the tubes now and then, not often, frankly pretty rarely, but right at the base of the blop that connects the tube latex material to the valve stem/core.
it looks like after time, the pressure of the thin latex on the seam of the zipp rim strip creates an indnet. infact, if you look at the latext tubes when they come out, you have indents all ovef for the various spoke holes and of course the seam.

we've seen 2,3 flats right ath that rim tape seam.
thus, wondering if someone makes a seamless....cant tell by photos on the various website.

thx in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two layers of stans tubeless rim tape works wonders.

pick the appropriate width for your wheel and it is fool proof.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

+1

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

I concur...plus you're all set to go if you want to run a tubeless tire at some point :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [spgtwice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running latex tubes with Veloplugs. No tape at all.

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the exact issue that I've had with latex tubes over the past few years. They're so thin and pliable that they work themselves into every tiny indentation or seam in the rim tape. I've never puncture flatted one or pinch flatted one, but all of my flats have been in tubes that were about six months old and finally developed a hole in one of those tiny areas of imperfection.

They're really just too finicky for my personal taste and they make me uneasy because I never know when they might spontaneously flat. There may be a perfect rim tape out there and a way to decrease the chance of this happening, but I don't think that you can eliminate the risk altogether. I think I'm going back to butyl tubes...

AAA Tri Team | Team Sports Bistro
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
jackmott wrote:

+1

Yup. I did exactly this, have been running Vittoria latex tubes with Conti extenders for a few weeks, and no issues.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok on flat course but caution to anyone doing a very brakey course this provides not thermal protection to the tube... All the rim heat goes into the latex tube.. Which can blow at lower temp than butyl.....

Just use it in the right application....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What width rim tape are you using?

Stan sells it in 21 and 25 mm. Even my wider rims only take a 17mm velox.

thanks,
Scott
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sadly I can never remember this, last time I used it I was at the LBS and just grabbed rolls and eyeballed it.

I think 21 though.

lemond853 wrote:

thanks,
Scott

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Veloplugs and for extra peace of mind add a layer of packing tape over top. Has worked great.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm running latex tubes with Veloplugs. No tape at all.

+1 Never had a problem running latex in my Jet 6's
Quote Reply
Re: seamless rim tape, rim strips, problems with latex tubes [lemond853] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lemond853 wrote:

thanks,
Scott

i got some tape from a buddy at the shop this weekend. the 25mm was a bit wide. i trimed it down with a level by 2,3mm. i think a 21 might be perfect, i ordered some.
but 2 wraps of the 25 trimmed down a couple was perfect
Quote Reply