Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

road bike or tri bike for very inflexible person
Quote | Reply
I am EXTREMELY inflexible as regards leaning forward (fingers about 12-18 inches above my toes if I bend over) and always have been. I have never done serious stretching work but moderate stretching never improved things.

Anyway, I got my road bike fit and the guy advised me not to even try aero bars because I would have a very difficult time being comfortable in the prone-type position given my inflexibility. Thus far I am not too fast, either (avg 18-20 mph in a sprint race).

That got me to thinking, then, about whether I should just go with a road bike forever. I am hoping to do IM Wisconsin in either 06 or 07 and it does have lots of hills, though mainly short ones.

Does it seem like sticking with a road bike in these circumstances won't hurt me much or should I be trying to get aero (and get a tri bike) before I go IM?
Last edited by: goolsbee: Jul 19, 05 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: road bike or tri bike for very inflexible person [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since IMOO has a lot of hills, I'd stick with a road bike and put some aerobars on it. That way you're not out a lot of money and it will give you a chance to ease into the aero position over time. Then you can decide if a tri-specific bike is worth it. I've got the Profile Design Aerostrykes with the flip-up armrests and they work great.
Quote Reply
Re: road bike or tri bike for very inflexible person [goolsbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I'm no expert on this, but, I too am very inflexible. I cannot sit upright on the floor. But, I have my bike set at 80degrees or so, and my aerobars are just a little higher than some others. I would think that a road bike, with the slack seat post would make it harder to ride efficiently. PM Dan. See what he thinks.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply