Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
riding without a chamois
Quote | Reply
Long story short...Tri suit came in and i was super excited until i saw that there was no chamois in the suit!!!

I have an Ironman in under a month so I am...FREAKING OUT!!!
A)this is a very expensive mistake
b)has anyone ever rode without some sort of chamois? would you recommend it for an IM distance race?

Ryan

Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [ryanmalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is a tri suit, chamois should be included. If not, contact the manufacturer to find out if it was a mistake it is missing. I don't like the padding and usually ride without it but in your case since you are asking, I would not recommend it for an Ironman race.

Quote | Reply
a) I think so
b) only to the shop and back. Don't do it for an IM.

p.s. Are you sure it's not just thinner than in a traditional pair of bib shorts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've rode without a chamois plenty of times... but certainly not long distance. Maybe up to 40... 50 miles max. I wouldn't even think of riding 100+ miles without the chamois. Small issues can really compound themselves; especially if you haven't been "training" those areas up to ride that distance without the chamois. I would guess the trisuit you bought was maybe meant for sprint distances and not long course. Can you return it and find another?
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% sure....they only have a little bit of fabric(much like the front of the speedo jammers in the front area) but no padding.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Cobb Cycling tri kits don't have a chamois. They do have an extra piece of material which cuts down on friction. I've ridden them up to a 1/2 Ironman with no issues and don't see any coming for longer distances. The saddle may make a difference.

http://www.cobbcycling.com/...pparel/cobb-mobb-kit

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a. Yes, it could be
b. Yes, I've done a few HIM's in a suit without a chamois. I've done a 90 mile training ride without one too.

It's going to be personal though, I would think most people would need some sort of padding.

Talk with the company you bought it from and see what they can do.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [TriScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im going to see if i can send it in and have them stitch one on.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean there isn't a pad or there isn't a fleece lining? Plenty of tri kits come with only a fleece lining and no pad. I prefer the fleece lining and have done an IM in them without major issue. However, it's not worth the risk if you're not adjusted to it. If you can't return it, try a long ride in it to see how it feels. Maybe do two loops so you can run back to your car/house and change halfway if you need to.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the only thing that makes me rationalize that i can do it without issue is that the chamois in my tri shorts are paper thin (orca, zoot) and might as well not be there.

Will give it a try tonight and see how it goes. I have a long ride this weekend but I think that would be too late to decide by. Will see the estimated turn around time for the suit.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no lining at all. Just the front has a thin fabric that covers your junk

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryanmalf wrote:
There is no lining at all. Just the front has a thin fabric that covers your junk
Are you sure you bought a trisuit and not a swimskin? :)
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [Aeolos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes:(

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU style suits don't have pads. That's normal.

I actually don't ever race w/ a chamois, even up to a half iron. Either a one piece w/ no pad, or jammers w/ no pad.

In a tt position, provided there's no seems in bad spots, I don't really think a chamois does much for guys. The tri ones are so thin anyway, it's kind of pointless. On a road bike, having a nice chamois is another story.

Quote | Reply
So just try it out? The suit is very comfortable but I have not been in the saddle for 5 hours without some sort of chamois.

Will try it out...if all else fails i can get it fixed, wear tri shorts for the race and have the suit back for the half iron in muskoka.

glad to hear that some people ride without chamois and actually find it comfortable.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skinfit shorts have no chamois - just a bit of fleece - and I've ridden up to 200km on these. My mum raced IM in those and even wore them on a 250km ride, on a bare-carbon saddle. If I didn't have my team kit, I'd race the Skinfits as well.

Padding is optional if the saddle and the bike fit properly. I find no difference in comfort when I'm on my saddle (in fact, I chafe less when there's little to no padding), but if I'm on a less-comfortable saddle or borrowed bike, it's uncomfortable.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful!! thanks for that. Definitly have a good bike fit and saddle so this is good.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of the downsides of not going to a local store. You still have time to find a suit that works for you. If you can't exchange your tri-suit keep it, it may just right for shorter events.
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go test it out. Maybe you'll get lucky. I bought a pair of Cobb Tri-short bottoms on discount. It feels great running. Feels fine swimming, feels fine riding up to about 2-1/2 or 3 hours at IM pace.... then it's bad news. Tried them out on a 3-1/2 hour ride that turned into a 4-1/2 hour slog as I kept getting detoured to avoid flooded roads. Not good. I like my Cobb JOF saddle, but it's not that good.

Odds are you would be fine for an Olympic, probably OK in a 70.3 if your faster and have a good power to weight ratio..... but after 3 hours, you need it and you don't want to be that uncomfortable the last 2 hours of a IM bike. That's my opinion.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a bit light but am going through the last bit of my leaning out stage before my race. goal weight is around 136 and right now i am.

moment of truth will be this weekend.

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryanmalf wrote:
Long story short...Tri suit came in and i was super excited until i saw that there was no chamois in the suit!!!

I have an Ironman in under a month so I am...FREAKING OUT!!!
A)this is a very expensive mistake
b)has anyone ever rode without some sort of chamois? would you recommend it for an IM distance race?

I have done HIM distance bikes on the Sugoi RS Tri short which has a very small insert and it was OK. Being in aero takes some of the pressure off your butt bones so if you have a well fitted saddle it can be OK. When I did the HIM I rode on a DeSoto Riviera tri short which has a slightly larger 7mm insert (and pockets, which are nice) and I found that to be the sweet spot. For a full IM, I wouldn't recommend going without an insert. Even a small insert is enough to help avoid hotspots which is really the primary purpose of the insert. Saddle for butt comfort, insert to make sure the inside of your thighs aren't rubbed off.
Quote Reply
Re: riding without a chamois [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a custom team kit. I was away but knew my size during the order...was totally unaware about the missing chamois.

if this ends up being comfortable i will be extatic

Ryan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who makes the kit, may I ask?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear tri shorts with zero padding under wetsuit and on the run. In T1, I slide on bike shorts over the tri shorts. It works great and takes about 10 seconds to put on and 5 to pull off in T2.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chamois works for this guy:

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply

Prev Next