Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter?
Quote | Reply
My wife owns a 2013 Cervelo tri bike (650 wheels) with stock GSA Gossamer cranks. I was going to surprise her and buy a Stages power crank. But they only fit the 2014 and newer GSA cranks. The local bike store recommends an upgrade to Ultegra cranks? Any feedback? As well, she's not interested in downloading data so I was looking for a simple readout - was considering the Bontrager Node 1.1 http://www.bontrager.com/model/09586 Would appreciate any input from the Slowtwitch community.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [RHBDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I'm sure other will mention the benefits of a power meter decrease if you aren't downloading your data. At the very least she'll need to figure out her FTP to see any real value from it. Otherwise you could argue training with HR could be just as beneficial. As far as power meter options, you can easily find lists of all the ones available. For what you're wanting they will all be similar, so it will likely come down to cost. I would imagine with the Ultegra crank you are going to have to buy a BB adapter also so that's an added cost. It might be cheaper to get a powertap laced into her existing wheelset (you didn't say if she had race wheels vs. training wheels). If she didn't do a lot of indoor rides you could also look at an iBike...or the new 4iii which would work on her existing crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really would second what the poster above said. If you are just looking at the number it's just an expensive bike computer. To get any real benefit you need to learn how to analyze the data. It's not hard to do but it is a (small) commitment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 105 crank is a nice setup, they come as regular or compact, you have to buy different bearings also. I see them on ebay as new take offs all the time, they are a great crankset, easy to install and service and the stages will bolt right up. You need a small tool to tighten the plastic nut on the non drive side that holds the crank on, I have one that looks like a big wingnut that I like a lot.

I agree with others about downloading data, it's too jumpy to make much sense on the bike and whatever device (garmin, polar etc) she uses to read the data it will record it anyway, so just download it to the garmin site or similar
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
It's not hard to do but it is a (small) commitment.

You can get real benefit from using it to pace races.
If you get one that is accurate

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks gang for your suggestions so far. I should mention we have a Computrainer at the house and that we did an FTP test at a once-a-week Computrainer spin class.

If there was a site "understanding and using FTP for beginners" that would be great (we have done a number of Ironman competitions but are trying to figure out the metrics of power to improve.)

I appreciate everyone's input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the book "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" by Allen and Coggan. It will tell you everything you need, and it even has a tri specific training section. It even has example workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While downloading is probably the best, I find that real time feedback on my Vectors is very helpful too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 Cervelo P3 which also came with the FSA Gossamer crank and I bought a Power2Max powermeter and selected the option for it to come with the FSA Gossamer crank pre-installed. That way I didn't have to swap out my bottom bracket and can easily swap between my crank with power and my crank without power. It's a great setup for me.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree real-time feedback is critical. My point was that unless you download and analyze the data, you don't really know what the numbers you are looking at mean in relation to your training and objectives.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
I agree real-time feedback is critical. My point was that unless you download and analyze the data, you don't really know what the numbers you are looking at mean in relation to your training and objectives.

you're correct sir.. should've said I agree with you, but I thought that it was implied it was such a good comment =)
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [323Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
323Runner wrote:
I have a 2012 Cervelo P3 which also came with the FSA Gossamer crank and I bought a Power2Max powermeter and selected the option for it to come with the FSA Gossamer crank pre-installed. That way I didn't have to swap out my bottom bracket and can easily swap between my crank with power and my crank without power. It's a great setup for me.

FSA used the same BB dimentions as Shimano (megaexo and hollowtech 2) anyway
and so does Rotor which is a very nice crank as a Power2Max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:

Don't assume that because you don't know what the numbers mean others don't.
Last edited by: William Ockham: Oct 28, 14 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How in that statement did you come up with the opinion that I don't know what power numbers mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
How in that statement did you come up with the opinion that I don't know what power numbers mean?

By reading your pompous post.
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pompous? I was making a factual statement. At least one other person on this forum agreed with me. You're the one that sounds pompous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
As I'm sure other will mention the benefits of a power meter decrease if you aren't downloading your data. At the very least she'll need to figure out her FTP to see any real value from it. Otherwise you could argue training with HR could be just as beneficial. As far as power meter options, you can easily find lists of all the ones available. For what you're wanting they will all be similar, so it will likely come down to cost. I would imagine with the Ultegra crank you are going to have to buy a BB adapter also so that's an added cost. It might be cheaper to get a powertap laced into her existing wheelset (you didn't say if she had race wheels vs. training wheels). If she didn't do a lot of indoor rides you could also look at an iBike...or the new 4iii which would work on her existing crankset.

You don't need to figure out FTP to benefit from a power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I respectfully disagree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

Do you really believe you need to know FTP to benefit from a power meter?

Knowing FTP is useful. If you want to use WKO or Golden Cheetah software you do need to know it, although most people estimate it so badly most of their data is worthless.

A power meter is a measuring devise. No more no less.

Basing training on FTP is only one approach.
Last edited by: William Ockham: Oct 28, 14 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

Knowing FTP is useful. If you want to use WKO or Golden Cheetah software you do need to know it, although most people estimate it so badly most of their data is worthless.

Call it FTP or call it something else, you need to know to know a data point to measure against to find benefit from a power meter. Of course you can use a power meter to measure your real-time power during the ride and do nothing but know your power. But we are talking about benefiting from a power meter (i.e., improving your ability). To do that you need to do more with your power meter than just looking at the numbers - you need to have some sort of plan when you head out for a ride. You don't have to use WKO or something else, but you need to know some type of number (be it what you can hold for 5 mins or 5 hours) and base your training off that number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
William Ockham wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

Call it FTP or call it something else, you need to know to know a data point to measure against to find benefit from a power meter. Of course you can use a power meter to measure your real-time power during the ride and do nothing but know your power. But we are talking about benefiting from a power meter (i.e., improving your ability). To do that you need to do more with your power meter than just looking at the numbers - you need to have some sort of plan when you head out for a ride. You don't have to use WKO or something else, but you need to know some type of number (be it what you can hold for 5 mins or 5 hours) and base your training off that number.

You don't need to base your training off any power numbers. It may well be a good approach. There are other approaches.

There is a big difference between training with power and training to power.

There is no need to ride strictly in power zones. You don't need a power meter to train properly or effectively or to have a plan. But a power meter does allow you to measure the effectiveness of your training - among other things.
Last edited by: William Ockham: Oct 28, 14 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: recommendations for Cervelo and Power Meter? [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
323Runner wrote:

FSA used the same BB dimentions as Shimano (megaexo and hollowtech 2) anyway
and so does Rotor which is a very nice crank as a Power2Max

Yeah, that's true in theory but from what I read (and could very well be wrong in practice) and from what the guys at Power2Max recommended is that even though Hollowtech 2 and MegaExo are supposed to be the same or very similar, the delta can be enough such that you might need to use a rubber mallet to install the an FSA crank in a Hollowtech 2 BB. Since I am swapping my PM between 2 bikes I set mine up with the exact same BB so it is a smooth and easy install. I will note that it is, in fact, super easy. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
William Ockham wrote:
ttusomeone wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

If you do want to base training off or on a power number, why not use the power derived from the duration at which you compete?

Performance is the best measure of performance, so why base training on 60 minute duration, or percentages of 20 minutes as an estimate, when you can use your power meter to measure power over the duration of your chosen event?

FTP is just a concept and it might correlate well with lactate threshold, but so what? What matters is performance over the chosen duration, base training on that.
Last edited by: William Ockham: Oct 28, 14 21:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad...I didn't realize you were the king of all things power. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and should go ahead and sell my power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
My bad...I didn't realize you were the king of all things power. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and should go ahead and sell my power meter.

No need to sell it.

Here is an example of how you can use a power meter.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=powerstern

I don't know if Ric Stern still uses this test and levels, I post it only as an example.

It does seem though that most people these days use Dr Coggan's system.

I'm only pointing out that there are other ways of using a power meter for training.

Here is another example of what is available.

http://physfarm.com/new/?page_id=866
Quote Reply

Prev Next