Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
race across america
Quote | Reply
I was just on the raam website, raceacrossamerica.org.

I noticed that few of them rode aerodynamic bikes or even wheels. Lots of box section.

Any idea why? Is there a rule? It would seem to be the perfect time to try to save a few seconds per mile, as there are three thousand of them. Also, there is rolling support, so durability is not much of a concern.

Could it be a comfort issue?

Do they have to use the same frame for the whole ride? You could have a climbing bike and a flatland bike as well. Maybe two different helmets for coolness vs. aero.

If anyone calls what you do nuts, jsut point to these guys.
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [nigilred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comfort and weight usually. They're going over a lot of mountain passes. And in the plains they deal with a lot of heavy cross winds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know they are allowed to use different bikes in some ultra events. Don't know about RAAM specifically. I wouldn't use a disk for comfort reasons though - oh and the noise!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Check out the # of risers beneath his aero bars. Is it 2 or 3 sets of risers there?

BTW here is Kenny Sousa:

Quote Reply
Re: race across america [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah well that may be Kenny Sousa. But that doesn't look anything close to Kenny Souza of the 80's. Whose leg are you trying to pull? That can't be HIM, can it?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check it out for yourself:

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/...artline/sslide64.htm

Maybe it was a mistake by the webmaster but that is what it says.

Previous Thumbnails Next

Kenny Souza

Photo byJeff Orlowski

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They can use multiple bikes, most of the top solo people have two, one super light weight for moutains, and one with aerobars for flatland. They don't get down too far in aero though, most have extentions for the aerobars so they just lean over a little bit. Can't imagine doing 3000 miles on my tri bike....my back would be killing me!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked into the bike rules on the site. There doesn't seem to be any reason not to ride an aero frame on the flats and a lightweight on the hills.

They must be really dialed in on position, but they could get a custom anything with aerotubing to match the position they like. And that doesn't begin to answer why they wouldn't have a few sets of wheels for different conditions.

Strange.

If it wasn't for my total and complete lack of fitness and desire to race for nine days in a row and maybe my lack of natural ability I would take this knowledge and kick all of thier asses next year.

"1. Bicycles must be propelled solely by human force.
2. Maximum length is 200 cm (79in), (300 cm for tandems); maximum width, 75cm (30in). The intent of this paragraph is that all riders compete with bicycles of equal specification. The specifications as stated in the UCI rules for time trial equipment is the general guide used for equipment approval. In addition, the current versions (up to 2005) of Trek Y-foil, Softride and Titanflex bicycles are approved for use in the standard bicycle division/categories of RAAM.. Other deviations from the UCI rules need to be approved prior to starting the race by a Race Official in writing. If you have any doubt about a modified piece of equipment being acceptable, contact the Race Director for a ruling whose decision will be final.
3. Any number of bicycles or replacement parts may be used during the race.
4. Windscreens, fairing, and airfoils are prohibited. "Aerobars" and their accessories are allowed. A "wind scoop" under or around the handlebars or aerobars is prohibited because it is too close to being a fairing.
5. Disk wheels, composite spoke wheels, and wheel covers are allowed.
6. RAAM reserves the right to disallow, either before the race or when observed in use during the race, any bicycle or component that the Race Director determines to be unacceptable for use in RAAM competition. It is the obligation of the competitor to bring any non-standard or custom equipment to the attention of the Race Director before the race for an acceptability determination.
7. Special categories/divisions may be created for a specific race to allow modified equipment to be used within that category/division"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's Kenny and yes, you can use multiple bikes!! The solo woman rider is kicking some serious butt!! Mike Trevino is my personal favorite!! GO MIKE!! :)

http://www.teamtrevino.com
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK OK if you say so. It was pretty cool to check everybody's picture out. I found myself saying: "I can kick this guy's ass", or "Dunno, this dude looks pretty tough"... when in reality I wouldn't make 200 miles. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trevino just moved into 2nd!! I watched the show they did on this race last year, it's frightening how the solo riders look towards the end! One guy had to have hid head rigged to a board and bungy corded up, because his neck was so tweaked he couldn't hold it up anymore!!
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought, why don't they use the bungee head holders near the beginning or towards the middle of the race? That way they avoid the pain the in the first place. I Figure the more comforable you are, the faster you can go.

Hardcore! I believe there's a pic of what you're talking about somewhere out there...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comfort is WAAAAY more important than aerodynamics--especially for the solo riders. A slack set up works best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing about Race Across America, and especially the tv show that covered the race last year. They failed to mention who won the race and who was the fastest. The four man relay team was not the first or the fastest to finish. Lighting cycle was first and fastest. You might laugh at recumbents... but you catch hell trying to catch one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see guys like Jacky Durant, Jens Voigt or Jacob Piil entering Raam....they would literally destroy the field.
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting input, Francois...and I am by no means discounting those particular guys' talents when I say...I'm just not so sure...PROBABLY...but I'd have to have a bit more data first...maybe times/results from some RAAM qualifiers...these guys are total studs and hardmen over a one day race, and anything approaching 200 miles...but I've been following Robic for a couple of years...he's of the same mental cloth...
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [GasMunky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some years, various folks rig up a pole that attaches to their back, and a rope that attaches from the pole to their helmet, basically holding their head up. Nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen that already. But I noticed they tend to use it when it really starts hurting and they can't hold their heads up. What I was trying to say was, Why can't they us them before the pain and fatigue sets in. That way they can be more comfortable in the long run.

Jock Boyer did it in the early 90's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankely I doubt if they would win or even place in the top 3 or 4. The guys and gals riding RAAM are not only fast but can do it on virtually no sleep for the entire ride.

Imagine riding 15mph , 24 hours per day for 8 days. For every minute you stop to sleep, change bikes, whatever, you have to ride that much faster. And without any drafting, only being able to take hand offs from your crew for so many minutes per hour, etc. Its a lot tougher than it may seem on the surface.

Now, if Jacky Durant, Jens Voigt or Jacob Piil were part of a 4 man team I agree they would "kick butt".

"The men who try to do something and fail, are infinitely better off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." Lloyd James
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they would literally destroy the field

Don't bet on it, Francois, any more than that the leading marathoners would win the Western States, or Leadville. Maybe they would if they tried long enough and learned the sport, but it would take a while. Ultra distance racing ( of which IM isn't part) is a truely specialized sport, populated by grizzled, low tech vets who take their racing seriously.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen the CA qualifiier? http://www.the508.com/route/index.html That's a heck of a lot of climbing.

As for RAAM, the ladies and germs that set out to do this are true hogs (a notch above stud/ettes). I don't think the question should be posed for the bikes they are riding or wheels that they are using. Instead, what kind of pillows are they on? Give me 10 spacers and a steering wheel. That's how I would do it. There's an 18 year old solo-racer. Hat's off youngblood! http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/Default.aspx?tabid=30

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: race across america [manonfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the best solo racers who is racing RAAM for the first time, Chris MacDonald is coach for Denmark's only professional womens roadcycling team, Team S.A.T.S:
http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/...ld,%20chris_2005.htm

Team S.A.T.S http://www.teamsats.com/sw4138.asp
He was in the Danish sports news a while ago telling about RAAM and his preperations. I think he siad he was planning on sleeping 3 hours per night or something like that. Hes currently placed 4th in RAAM at station #15. http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/...der&StationId=15 The three riders ahead of him have all tried to race RAAM before. Jure' Robic is the only men's solo racer who have made it to station #17 so far, none of the other racers have made it to station #16 yet.

He used to be an elite rower on the US nationak team for 4 years:
Quote:

What originally attracted you to athletic endurance events?
Elite Rower on the United States National team for 4 years, later became the director of a professional cycling team, thus naturally progressed to more and more cycling.

Last edited by: Twitchslow: Jun 21, 05 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'd love to see guys like Jacky Durant, Jens Voigt or Jacob Piil entering Raam....they would literally destroy the field.[/reply]

I doubt it unless they are used to riding 8 days in a row with about 2 hours sleep a day on average. 4 hours of sleep a night will kill your average speed. How fast did John Howard do this race in his prime (or just after his prime I guess)? I think it is like IM. A great cyclist just can't go do it and destroy the field.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply

Prev Next