Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

questioning my run plan - need advice
Quote | Reply
I'm 41 and have been working on running the past 3 years. Doing what is basically barry P for the past 1.5 years.

I cannot get to 20 miles per week without getting injured. this is my 3rd case of sciatica/tendonitis in that time bad enough that I can barely walk. I stretch religiously and do strength training when I start to have a problem but that doesn't seem to be enough. On top of that I only am getting slower in the past 3 years. Tho only thing the plan has done succesfully is bring my heartrate down significantly - all my runs now peak at around 130 bpm. Pace is about 11min/mile. Slower for long runs.

For background I am 6'2, 200 lbs, and back in college days had a 20 min 5k no problem. FOP swimmer, BOP biker.

so my question is would another plan be better for me? is there a type of strength training that would help? I am running out of ideas and patience.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [Old97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a tried complete and total rest for an uncomfortably long period of time?

I have a long history of back problems going back to motorcycle accidents when I was much younger. As I got into triathlon and mountain biking it flared up again and was something that I just sort of lived with. Not being too bright it took me years to realize that the mountain biking was the most likely cause for the aggravation. So, I finally gave it up but also stopped running for about 3 months to let things die down. Once I came back to running I was able to start building and now I'm at around 55 miles per week without back issues.
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried running on treadmill? I follow Barry P and I am loving it, but I am also blessed with good health. On days that my body / joints ache, or if my muscles are sore to the touch, I run on the treadmill. It is so much less impact on my body and it seems to help me bounce back from a rut. I am a slow runner though, mostly mid 8 minute miles, never in the 7s.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes i took 3 months off last summer, 3 weeks off in november, and do yoga off and on.

I run on the treadmill when i must - usually just to avoid extreme weather. I did a couple of weeks worth in February but i didnt notice anything feeling different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the same age and and close to your size, 6'1, 195, had similar experiences, although mine was a nagging Achilles and the occasional back spasm. Ended up talking to the PT in my unit when I was in the military and he told me my pelvis was tilited, to one side or something like that. I always thought I had one leg that was about a quarter inch longer/shorter. He showed me some stuff to do to realign it and bam, that and some serious calf massaging and have never had an Achilles issue again. I would also say given your/our size, limit your time one the road, try to hit a trail to run.
Last edited by: mike s: Mar 30, 17 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you able to run about 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old97 wrote:
I cannot get to 20 miles per week without getting injured. this is my 3rd case of sciatica/tendonitis in that time bad enough that I can barely walk. I stretch religiously and do strength training when I start to have a problem but that doesn't seem to be enough.

This, to me, is not about what run plan you're using but about your body not being healthy. Until you fix that, it doesn't matter what plan you choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old97 wrote:
I stretch religiously and do strength training when I start to have a problem but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I don't think stretching is really the answer to injury prevention or rehab, I'd suggest foam rolling instead with maybe some light stretching right after that. Also, don't just do strength exercises when you are STARTING to have a problem, do them on a regular basis.

Finding out what is causing the issue is key.
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
Old97 wrote:
I stretch religiously and do strength training when I start to have a problem but that doesn't seem to be enough.

I don't think stretching is really the answer to injury prevention or rehab, I'd suggest foam rolling instead with maybe some light stretching right after that. Also, don't just do strength exercises when you are STARTING to have a problem, do them on a regular basis.

This is solid advice^^^^

Start here http://www.runnersworld.com/...-for-runners/slide/5

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every person I've ever encountered who has this same story always have imbalances or mobility issues. Doing yoga here and there or only doing stretching when the bad sensations are on the horizon isn't a good method. Unfortunately when you have reoccurring issues you've really got to spend some focused time ensuring they stay away.

I would recommend one of three things to solve this issue:

1. Find a good strength and conditioning coach who understands body mechanics and have him/her do an assessment. They will prescribe a routine to do regularly that addresses those short comings.
2. Visit a physio therapist and have them do an assessment and do what they prescribe.
3. Get you gait analysed to see where or what they suggest for changes

Things I've seen in others that once addressed solved their troubles:
  1. Tilted pelvis/hips
  2. Collapsing knees
  3. Stiff thoracic spine
  4. Tight PSOAS
  5. Unaddressed Pronations
I hope you get it all figured out so you can start to see improvements and be a happy runner again!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Mar 30, 17 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
Old97 wrote:

REMEMBER: For every Runner - or doctor - who says there is absolutely one single and perfect way to do anything [and they have the data to support it], there is another Runner - or doctor - who will say that way of doing whatever it may be, is completely and absolutely wrong [and they have the data to support it

I could be wrong, of course

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I agree that however you've implemented this plan, it isn't working for you.
It sounds like you're not recovering from your workouts. You're also biking and swimming, are you not? I suspect there's more to this story. I don't know if the stretching/strength is helping or hurting. I would probably agree with others though that intermittently doing those is probably suboptimal or counterproductive.
You may consider, for a while, running every 2-3 days and building up to running 2 days/rest 1, 3 / 1, etc. Just back waaaay off. Maybe add in walking days to recover instead of "easy" runs. And BarryP isn't a one-size-fits-all, run every single day or twice a day. "Run alot, mostly easy, sometimes hard" is pretty ambiguous and conceptual. Alot for me, alot for you, and alot for some Kenyan marathon olympian are likely very different. It's whatever is sustainable *for you*. As always, YMMV. Good luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Have you ever tried running on treadmill? I follow Barry P and I am loving it, but I am also blessed with good health. On days that my body / joints ache, or if my muscles are sore to the touch, I run on the treadmill. It is so much less impact on my body and it seems to help me bounce back from a rut. I am a slow runner though, mostly mid 8 minute miles, never in the 7s.

Stop having kids your body will feel better đŸ˜‰
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Are you able to run about 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week?

Yes probably, once i can run again - is that your proposal?
Quote Reply
Re: questioning my run plan - need advice [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
Every person I've ever encountered who has this same story always have imbalances or mobility issues. Doing yoga here and there or only doing stretching when the bad sensations are on the horizon isn't a good method. Unfortunately when you have reoccurring issues you've really got to spend some focused time ensuring they stay away.

I would recommend one of three things to solve this issue:

1. Find a good strength and conditioning coach who understands body mechanics and have him/her do an assessment. They will prescribe a routine to do regularly that addresses those short comings.
2. Visit a physio therapist and have them do an assessment and do what they prescribe.
3. Get you gait analysed to see where or what they suggest for changes

Things I've seen in others that once addressed solved their troubles:
  1. Tilted pelvis/hips
  2. Collapsing knees
  3. Stiff thoracic spine
  4. Tight PSOAS
  5. Unaddressed Pronations
I hope you get it all figured out so you can start to see improvements and be a happy runner again!

Thanks this is helpful. I supinate, and i think more so on the affected side. Im going to see about a gait analysis definitely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a great guy on Youtube who's a total gait analysis geekazoid! Check him out and you can potentially do some analysis yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RunningRevolution

Cheers!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Mar 30, 17 13:20
Quote Reply