Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

question for the Campy gurus
Quote | Reply
Can i use a shimano DA drivetrain with Record Ultra Torque crankset/BB? If so...do i need to use DA chain or Record chain?

thanx in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: question for the Campy gurus [GO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Can i use a shimano DA drivetrain with Record Ultra Torque crankset/BB? If so...do i need to use DA chain or Record chain?

You can, but you will be eternally cursed. Either chain will be fine - chainrings dont care. In general I would suggest the record 5.9 as it is narrower than the DA and lasts much better. However, ShimaNO chain on ShimaNO cassette is as smooth as you could ever want.
Quote Reply
Re: question for the Campy gurus [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanx. so what u r saying is try not to mix? either full shimano or full campy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly enough there was a Mavic (yes, Mavic) 10 speed chain introduced several years ago that provided an oddly forgiving brand of compatibility between Shimano and Campagnolo components. I am not even certain if the chain is still available from Mavic but it worked very well.

In general the more flexible chains seem to be the more forgiving in terms of compatibility. The newer Campagnolo narrow 10 speed chain can go a long way toward making a drivetrain (any drivetrain) quieter and smother and will actually improve crossover gear performance by an entire cog width.

I've never had great success with the Wipperman or SRAM chains for this type of application though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
thanx. so what u r saying is try not to mix? either full shimano or full campy?
you're nearly there... Full campy is the only option.

Just say shimaNO

(it really doesnt matter for performance - it's only the poseur factor, UT cranks will be great and will work well with what you have)
Quote Reply
Re: question for the Campy gurus [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Interestingly enough there was a Mavic (yes, Mavic) 10 speed chain introduced several years ago that provided an oddly forgiving brand of compatibility between Shimano and Campagnolo components.
I've never had great success with the Wipperman or SRAM chains for this type of application though.

Mavic chain was a wipperman as i recall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're right.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Interestingly enough there was a Mavic (yes, Mavic) 10 speed chain introduced several years ago that provided an oddly forgiving brand of compatibility between Shimano and Campagnolo components.

Mavic chain was a wipperman as i recall
It is. I have one on my 10 spd Campy. Works great and much cheaper and easier to deal with than a Campy chain.
Quote Reply