Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

premature peaking
Quote | Reply
my understanding of peaking in a gradual build-up of speed/intensity 10-12 weeks prior to competition. my concern with IM training is that if you build up your volume at low intensity (ie. 80/20 Z1/Z3 split) can you avoid peaking too early? I have 17-weeks to before my IM event but am feeling that I am coming off a good winter and now that spring is here I feel that my goal of 20-hours/week is easily achievable. should I resist and back off or carry on and keep maintain the volume?

on another note, anyone against doing an OLY 3-weeks before an IM? If so, why?
Quote Reply
Re: premature peaking [micaza75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what she said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I find I'm peaking too soon I try to think about baseball.
Quote Reply
Re: premature peaking [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead grandmothers does it for me.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your 20 hours/week now don't have to look the same every week. Volume does not equal training load. This is why it's called a "build". Ideally you'd load up your training in some kind of intelligent way to build your fitness up to a peak, get fresh (taper), and execute the Ironman using your fitness+freshness.

OLY 3 weeks before an Ironman is really stupid. Like an Ironman isn't hard enough, it'll ruin any sort of taper, put your body through unnecessary stress, all to do a race that has zero net gain in racing the Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: premature peaking [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only problem with an Olympic 3 weeks out is that it's a wasted day of training. Only 2.5 hrs at moderate intensity...3 weeks out is still a good time for big training week.
Quote Reply