Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

post crash road rash
Quote | Reply
Had an awful crash 2 days ago while training, the entire left side of my body is a mess. Left elbow, Scapula, left hip, upper thigh, left knee.

The knee is the worst part of it, it is still secreting fluid, some puss and overall it hurts like hell to walk.

We are having a debate whether these wounds should be covered or not. To date I have been lightly removing some of the puss and also applying polysporin.

I am in quite a bit of pain and well sleep... forget it. I should note that it is very red around the area and quite warm to the touch.

Should I be bandaging this wound on my knee? Antibiotics?
Last edited by: titemple652: Dec 24, 17 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: post crash road rash [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do polysporin and gauze pads for the first few days until the weeping stops (the wound....not me). Then switch to tegraderm to cover the wound (no polysporin).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: post crash road rash [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the vote for tegaderm. I've successfully used tegaderm to cover a few bouts of road rash over the years. I like to put adaptic, then gauze then tegaderm in the beginning to absorb any fluid. Once the seepage settles down I go to tegaderm only. I'd recommend buying your tegaderm from amazon - much more reasonable than the pharmacy.
Quote Reply
Re: post crash road rash [tri_curious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in Brazil for 2 weeks, amazon won’t really help me here. I will try to find it though thanks guys!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had something similar to your knee on my arm quite close to my elbow. I used polysporin + tegaderm initially but it wasn't healing nicely/at all so went to local hospital where wound care nurse did adaptic + mepilex dressing and bandage. That kept the area dry for showers etc.

Heal up soon.
Quote Reply
Re: post crash road rash [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I crashed at IM Cabo, I had road rash on right side. I bought Tegaderm from CVS or Walgreens. Tried it for a day, and it was a disaster. Made a huge wet mess. Took it off after 24 hours and just let the RR air dry and scab over. I can not recommend Tegaderm or any covering that seals out air. Personal experience, I have found it best to let raw skin air dry out and scab over, but a very light layer of gauze over it for the first 24 hours so that dirt and debris doesnt get in it, especially while sleeping is important. But very loose gauze over it, just to keep crap out until it scabs over. Just my 2 cents worth from my own experience.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 If you can’t find Tegaderm I’ve substituted it for saran wrap before. I crashed at 70kph on a downhill in Rwanda a couple months ago. I kept all my stuff covered and healed pretty quickly even when having to use petroleum jelly and regular gauze; that loves to stick to open wounds.

Happy healing.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Dec 24, 17 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tive_Guide_6444.html

Hope this helps
Last edited by: Johnnyfever: Dec 24, 17 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the knee is secreting puss, isn't that a sign of infection? Maybe a quick trip to the doc to get some Keflex?
Quote Reply
Re: post crash road rash [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great read Jonny, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: post crash road rash [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and a fever too. We are going to try to find one tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, don't let that get away.
Last time I had a skin infection, from scraping my hand in our lap pool, the doc gave me a tetanus (sp?) shot, a script for keflex (cephalexin), and a script for topical fucidin cream........and then a lecture about how dirty pools are... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that Manuka honey patches are darn near magic. This is not a "homeopathicy" suggestion. My wife is a nurse and she says it's standard medical practice in her (modern) hospital for healing c-section cuts and other large incisions. She put them on me after my last crit crash, and they were awesome. It's not even a comparison to Tegaderm - the wounds seems to heal quickly and with minimal scarring/scabbing. One warning is they seem to hurt a bit more than Tegaderm for about the first 10 minutes after you put them on. This is, I think, just because they're a bulkier patch and there's more "stuff" pressing against the would. But after that they're great.

You can get pretty big patches.

That said, I agree with seeing a Dr. to deal with possible infection.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've used a number of different road rash treatments over the years. Several times we've had the need during an ongoing cycling vacation. This can dictate the approach somewhat because of the need to try and keep bandages in place while sweating and moving.

For our most recent need, my wife had very large abraded areas, not deep in most places, but covering huge areas. This was our first time treating road rash similar to burns. We used Rx silver sulfadiazine cream, then covered with gauze soaked in distilled water, topped with dry gauze and and coverall adhesive tape. These were changed 3 times per day with the wounds scrubbed clean of scanning before each rebandage:(

Duoderm and tegaderm can help with healing after initial treatment, but are best used when not exercising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pus, warm to the touch, and fever is a systemic infection. You need oral antibiotics. Please see a doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duoderm is even better then Tegaderm... I bought some on Amazon. It is basically a medicated version of Tegaderm. Makes the recovery so much better. Leave it on for a few days and you're like new again with some pretty new skin. You can shower (waterproof), and continue to move, sleep with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
titemple652 wrote:
Had an awful crash 2 days ago while training, the entire left side of my body is a mess. Left elbow, Scapula, left hip, upper thigh, left knee.

The knee is the worst part of it, it is still secreting fluid, some puss and overall it hurts like hell to walk.

We are having a debate whether these wounds should be covered or not. To date I have been lightly removing some of the puss and also applying polysporin.

I am in quite a bit of pain and well sleep... forget it. I should note that it is very red around the area and quite warm to the touch.

Should I be bandaging this wound on my knee? Antibiotics?

X2 on Duoderm. Nothing is faster and better IMHO than it. Tegaderm is nice because you can usually find it at your Walgreens. Duoderm is one of those things you buy now and make sure you have around for when you crash. It is expensive, but it is great insurance IMHO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s a pretty significant body of evidence regarding moist wound healing, and it’s faster and with less infection than dry healing. The key is to match the dressing to the wound, as in a wound producing a lot of moisture needs an absorptive dressing, and a minimally moist wound does not.

On the heavy drainage end, there are thick foam dressings that absorb obscene amounts of moisture, but as has been said, if it’s that much, gauze might be fine so long as you keep a barrier on it.

Duoderm is a hydrocolloid dressing designed for minimal to moderate drainage- it’s simply a waterproof barrier that absorbs goo AND makes a healthy moisture balanced wound base for granulation of new tissue. Really is the bees knees for that wound. However, if it’s not making much moisture, it’s no better than Tegaderm, which does exactly the same thing if the wound isn’t producing much moisture at all. So as it gets more healthy, use the cheaper one.

There are a thousand products out it seems, but if you just keep it simple- soak up the goo and keep it covered, with less absorption needed as the wound heals, you’re good.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply