Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

polar t61 chest trap ..now they have the strap you can change battery
Quote | Reply
why didnt the y come out w this earlier..change your own battery in the chest strap or should i just stay with the coded because of interference???tia
Quote Reply
Re: polar t61 chest trap ..now they have the strap you can change battery [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are somewhat handy with tools you can change your own battery in the coded strap yourself. too lazy to do a search right now but it's on the web.
Quote Reply
Re: polar t61 chest trap ..now they have the strap you can change battery [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. $34.90 every couple of years for a new chest strap to keep your expensive HRM working doesn't seem like much.

From www.polarservicecenter.com (affiliated with Creative Health Products, www.chponline.com):

SERVICE COSTS

Basic service includes the following:

For the Receiver: Visual inspection, replace battery, check and cleaning of button contacts, reassembly including new seal, water resistance test in vacuum chamber, operational test.

For the Transmitter:
Visual inspection, check on computerized Polar Tester the following: electrode conductivity, battery voltage, threshold level and transmission range. Wash and clean if necessary.

Charge for all of the basic service as above $10.00

Exchange cost for new standard transmitter $24.90

Exchange cost for new coded transmitter $34.90

Return shipping and handling: $2.95 for standard uninsured mail, $6.50 for Ground UPS, $10.50 for 2nd Day Air UPS and $25.00 for Next Day Air UPS, except for shipments to Alaska or Hawaii. If no method of shipping is indicated, we will use ground UPS at a charge of $6.50.

Other costs for items occasionally needed such as LCD’s, housings, straps, antennas, speakers, etc. are nominal and will be quoted upon request.

Occasionally a unit comes in that is beyond economical repair. In such cases a new unit can be offered under the special Polar exchange program at a price substantially below the outright purchase price.

New units are guaranteed for 1 year on watch, 6 months on watch battery and 2 years on transmitter. Serviced units are guaranteed for 90 days. New replacement transmitters purchased under the Polar exchange program are guaranteed 2 years.

ADDRESS:

POLAR SERVICE CENTER

7621 E. JOY ROAD

ANN ARBOR, MI 48105

PHONE 800-287-5901

FAX 734-996-4650

E-MAIL: service@polarservicecenter.com

Quote Reply
Re: polar t61 chest trap ..now they have the strap you can change battery [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compared to paying 2.99 for a battery, 35 bucks sounds pretty steep to me.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use the new straps with the older watches - there is a table of which straps work with which watches. The old straps were a pain in the none-replaceable battery department. The new ones don't pick up as well, and only last about 1/3 as long as the old ones - if that makes you feel any better.... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: polar t61 chest trap ..now they have the strap you can change battery [berndog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's a premium, but it's also peace of mind. A number of people have admitted on ST that their HRM's gave up the ghost after they changed their own (watch) batteries. Why risk having your strap go haywire during your A race because you wanted to save $30. And remember, you probably will only need a new strap every few years.

SpeedChannel had a show about supercars last night and mentioned how a 'tuneup' on a Ferarri F40 was about $10k (yes $10,000!). Seems ridiculous, but to keep a $250k car working properly, it's worth it (to those who could afford the car in the first place). I just don't think a $200-$300 HRM is the place to start pinching pennies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go with the new wearlink, a lot more comfy and as long as you really wet the electrodes down prior to use (versus the lick method with the old straps) they pick up great. I've had mine for almost a year now and it's still going strong but I doubt it'll last as long as the old style straps. A hell of a lot more comfy though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
why didnt the y come out w this earlier..change your own battery in the chest strap or should i just stay with the coded because of interference???tia
The wearlink is also coded - or at least works with your coded watch so you will not pick up interference
Quote Reply
Re: polar t61 chest trap ..now they have the strap you can change battery [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you are somewhat handy with tools you can change your own battery in the coded strap yourself. too lazy to do a search right now but it's on the web.
i couldnt find it.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I noticed about the new straps over the past year....

They stink more then the old straps.... I could and did easily have multiple straps which would just get thrown in the wash and drier with the older model.... The new model CANNOT be thrown in the dryer so it get's wash less often and stinks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's something to be said for sealed chest straps. I had a cheap Vetta HRM during the mid-1990s that had a replaceable battery on the chest strap. Unfortunately, moisture could seep in to the opening for the battery quite easily and short out the strap. After I went through two straps rather quickly during one hot summer, I tossed out the Vetta and got the more reliable Polar.
Quote Reply