Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
peter reids pre kona training weeks
Quote | Reply
noticed they are published in august triathlete mag, anyone gonna give it a crack? i'm thinking i might this year when i have the chance...(ie no work)
Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I better get a copy of Triathlete. I take everything Peter says and implement it. Up to now all the things he has recommended have worked perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I take everything Peter says and implement it. Up to now all the things he has recommended have worked perfectly."

So now you are going to quit triathlon? ;)
Last edited by: dongustav: Aug 4, 06 6:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you like high volume but those numbers are very high, even for you :-)
Don't have a copy near by, but some of those numbers are crazy can't imagine normal humans doing that kinda volume
Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that was Mitch Gold? Or maybe Simon Lessing? No, wait, it was Dr. Tommy...! I'm lost...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do u honestly think Mark Allen is going to let Peter give out to the public his training regime leading up to Kona????
Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo, all of the above. They all have good advice.
  1. Dr. Tommy: Swimming
  2. Peter Reid: Bike prep, taper,
  3. Mitch: Run Program
  4. Simon Lessing: Anything to do with riding, racing or training in Europe

There are still many holes above that you can help me with. How about you come up and help with with my XC ski technique?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You so clever. You'll figure it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the coles notes version:

M:
Swim: 60min
Bike: 75-90min easy hihg cadence
Water Run in Ocean

T: Run Focus
Run: Early morning 30-40 on beach
Swim: 90min
Run: interval 20 warm up 5*1 min hard/1 min easy, 3*10 min hard/5min easy, some fartlek and cool down

W: Endurance Day
Swim: 45-60min
Bike: 6.5-7hrs with tins of Hills
Transition Run: 45min
Weights: 45-50

T: Recovery Day
Run: 30min

F: Bike Intervals
Swim 90min
Bike: 3.5hrs incrasing intensity intervals
Transition Run: 45min

Sat: Endurance Day
Swim 45min
Bike 5-6hrs
T-run: 59min
Weights: same as Wednesday

Sun:
Run: 2.5-3hrs on hilly course
Recovery Ride: 60min
Run 30-40min

Here is the Killer: week 2 and 3 repeat same as above

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see why you think this is crazy volume. You think these guys are going 8:20ish in Kona off 15 hours a week? Seriously though, if you have worked up to it and did not have to work a day job, there is no issue with doing this type of volume. Our intensity would be a lot lower than Mr. Reid.

To sum it up:
  1. Swim ~ 6 hours
  2. Bike ~21 hours
  3. Run ~ 7-8 hours
  4. Weight ~ 90 min
  5. Total ~ 36 hours

If you take out the long mid week bike, you end up with 30 hours, which is actually possible on a work week (4x 3.5-4 hours per day) Sat 8.5 hours, Sun 5.5 hours. There were a bunch of us that did a week like this at the end of June, 3 weeks out from LP. One guy won 45-49, another got 3rd in 40-44, and we had a number of others that qualified to go to Hawaii. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not :-).

I'll go back into my log and post the week of training that we did.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't see why you think this is crazy volume.
I think it was Frank Shorter that said something like.." you might be able to run 120-130 miles per week like me, but I'll still beat you because I have unlimited recover time." :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a newbie (and someone with a 2.5 year old and a full-time job :-)) these numbers seem "crazy" to me. Like you say if I didn't have a Job I could see having the time to get these numbers in AND recover.
I am happy when I get my 10-15 hours a week, but I am just doing Oly's and a HIM later this fall but maybe that is why I am a MOP.
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
36 hours in the heat of the big island, no wonder he was burnt out...
Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
36 hours in the heat of the big island, no wonder he was burnt out...
No wonder he won in '03...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deep bend at the ankles on steep V1 uphills, drive the knee towards the ski tip...

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok if it makes you feel better... :-)

Paulo: Smartass four word sentences with very little instructional value.
Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
deep bend at the ankles on steep V1 uphills, drive the knee towards the ski tip...

Whatever this poser did should be fine. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
old school.

kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Kurt said, that poser Dahlie is old school. He'd get his butt handed to him by today's skiers :-).

EH, here was the week at the end of June that included the LP Irontour:
  1. Mon: 125 min run at 7:30-8 min pace, 20 min leg weights, 70 min bike commute
  2. Tue: 70 min bike commute, 40 min swim, 55 min run
  3. Wed: 180 min hard ride with 2500 ft climbing
  4. Thu: 90 min bike commute, 45 min swim, 60 min run
  5. Fri: 45 min easy spin, 75 min swim
  6. Sat: 7:20 ride in LP with 10000 ft of climbing including Whiteface TT, 35 min transition run, 50 min swim
  7. Sun: 120 min run, 3.5 hour ride, 45 min swim

Total for week ~ 28 hours.

This was with no vacation days. It was tough, but not insane. If you had 1-2 vacation days in there, then 36 hours is not an insane stretch.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now do that for two more weeks in Hawaii and then you will be close to Reid :-)
Honestly that is truly impressive considering all the other things going on in a non-pro life, pesky work, family and other such responsibilities :-)
I won't be attempting an IM for a while until I know I can dedicate the hours required (for me) right now in my current lifestyle that is not possible and won't be for another couple of years. Besides I am just looking at these years as Base years for when I get up into 40+ age group, everyone knows that is were the studs are ;-)
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev, how do you think your bike commuting has helped your cycling? Do you still get a great benefit? And how hard to you ride for your commute? I often drive to meetings while at work, but there are some days where I could possibly ride when there's nothing going on. It seems like a great way to get training while not taking up any extra time out during the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was going to say that it's the ability to repeat it 3 times which makes it so tough. That being said, Peter's entire season of training gears him for Kona and that one training block. He's got a lot of base mileage in his legs that allows him to do what he does.

But it's true that all of these guys train lots. Faris is known for extremely high volume work. Clas Bjorling keeps a log on his site. He throws down some serious volume. That's the name of the game at the pointy end of ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ewan, 28 hours is not required to complete an Ironman. Averaging 10-15 a week for several months is likely suffcient. But we are talking about a guy like Reid wanting to win. That is different.

I think someone who has 5-10 years of base, who is not working another job and with sound biomechanics can do three of these weeks and come out of it fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As Kurt said, that poser Dahlie is old school. He'd get his butt handed to him by today's skiers :-).

So I should dump the 60 min video my cousin sent over from Norway of Daehlie doing nothing but V1? :-)
Last edited by: Trevor S: Aug 4, 06 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: peter reids pre kona training weeks [JonathanJCR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan, bike commuting is the only way I can get additional bike volume in. It all adds up in a hurry, and to tell you the truth, I like to use my bike for utilitarian purposes vs using a car. If I have the option of getting somewhere with my ass on a bike seat rather than on a car seat, it will be on a bike seat. Even if I was not training for races, I'd be getting around by bike. When I was a 14-16 year old high school kid with no driver license, I got to soccer, baseball and track by bike, often 10-15K each way. On weekends, we'd ride from Montreal to Burlington Vermont to go camping. It was all about transport.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next